The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SCCA kills STP - Ugh - Now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just when I thought the SCCA would leave well enough alone they go and kill STP. After years and years of no competitive class for street minded/modded mustangs they had finally hit on something imo. Such is life as an SCCA member I guess. I refuse to go back to Street class (FS) again, so it looks like my best option is CAM-C. However, I'm not really excited about the very open rule set in CAM because I'm sure the prep means $$$. I ran 2 events with Texas region this season and even tried CAM-C one event as STP had no other entries. I managed to finish 1st and 13 in PAX, but I'm certain those drivers & preparation will improve in 2019 with STP now DOA.

What is everyones thoughts on modifications needed for a competitive CAM-C run?

Car is 17 GT/PP on stock struts/shocks with FR track springs, Vorshlag camber plates and whiteline swaybars. I will be going up in wheel/size from 19x10 285/35 RE71s to Apex 19x11 with 305/30 RE71s.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Been a member of SCCA since 1981 , so just want to say , " Welcome to the inconsistent consistency of the folks in Topeka , America,ha." Hang in there, the CAM classes are a pretty good idea , and though you are likely right about the prep meaning bigger bucks, that is only the case for the Overly Committed Top Dogs. You should find in your local Region and even your Division , many are in the same boat as you. Started autocrossing in 81 and later got into road racing, but change is a constant and if you placed 1st while moving to CAm ( and 13th in PAX ) , you will be fine in my estimation. There are likely a few areas you can squeak out a bit more performance without spemding much more money , but sounds like you already have something needed in any class ---talent!

Last edited:
I have only been an SCCA member since '89 :) I have spent plenty of time on the inside of classing stuff....10 years on SEB and various AC's.

Most of the fastest cars at Nationals in CAM-C would be STP legal. A few of the GM cars are FS legal. The class killer car, especially in CAM-C, is a stupid myth perpetuated by a multitude of loud long time SCCA people who don't even run CAM and have no interest in CAM, but feel the need to run around and scream chicken little because they can't stand other people having fun while autocrossing.

STP was 5 years too late, and trying to get managed by a bunch of FWD types didn't help. In the middle of the country, it was a rare thing to see an STP car.

DaveW

I’ve been a member since 2004 and the changes are never ending it seems. Agreed CAM basically killed STP before it really even had a chance. I normally run in a small region where PAX is the end all be all so STP gave me less of a hit in the PAX standings. Usually finished in top 3 and would win a few every now and then. Especially if the course was wet or cold. I’d love to figure that one out, 400hp car out runs a Honda in the wet...lol. Looks like I’ll have go the Texas events more often to have a chance in class at least as no one runs CAM in my home region for the most part. Basically with the PAX factor and class change on a 60sec course I’ll lose 1/2 second in comparison to this season before start say go. Kinda disappointing, but such is life in the SCCA and handicap racing.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Often due to participation numbers some Regions seem to stress PAX more than specific classes, but since I am only 60 miles down the road from Lincoln , Nebraska, the site of the Solo Nationals, I can tell serious Autocrossers , it is not a bad tool to use for competitiveness!

If you move to CAM and you find yourself farther down on the PAX scale , then as you move up you likely will have a better gauge on how you would due in Class at a big event. Good luck and I truly understand your frustration , as I have been in that predicament numerous times over the years. Right now the Boss 302S I have does not fit very well in either NASA or SCCA, but just to be back on the track Road Racing , is enough for me - plus I have the potential to lose about 150 lbs from the car and that could make a big difference in competition?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel