The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SCCA Track Night in America Harris Hill Raceway 03/20/19

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFW, TX
What kind of condition is that track? I haven't been there in maybe five years and it was rough in spots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
San Antonio
I was out there last year (I think) and it was still pretty rough in many spots. I was adjusting my line to avoid some of the worse spots.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
San Antonio
Finally had some time to get a couple videos together. Overall the event was fine, got to meet up with some friends, ran into some old friends, and good to improve times around Harris Hill Raceway.

The state of the track was another. It had been 3 years since I was out there and the track was much rougher than it used to be. The straights between 2 and 3 was really rough and there was plenty of bumps through 5,6,7. Nevertheless, always good to be out on the track and learn how to handle new scenarios. Gained some additional confidence and experience and improved my times overall.

One the full session, a McLaren popped up and it was great to see how amazing those cars are. He ran away from me like I was standing still. Watching the rear wing work as he accelerated and worked through the corners, was neat to see in real time.

Fasteset Lap:

Full Session

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Really enjoyed your second video as was able to see the speed you were able to get up to.Looks like a fun track and continue to posts your runs in Texas.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
San Antonio
I was in the intermediate session there, which is where I normally align with my NASATX driving (Currently HPDE 3). It's a really laid back event, so people are pretty patient with speed. As with all driving events always important to keep your eyes up looking ahead and checking your mirrors so no one sneaks up on ya.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sounds like you are at the top of Intermediate and once in HPDE 4 you will be wandering into the Advanced Group!? Are you thinking about going into Time Trials with NASA once you get to that point? Just asking though I know many of my friends just enjoy running in HPDE and have no desire for TTs. It sure is nice to have a place to advance if one desires, though?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
San Antonio
After driving through and event with TNIA, even though I am in HPDE 3 with NASATX, I am probably in Advanced with TNIA. A few too many trains and I was lapping a lot of the field (it is a small track though). For NASATX, I am probably close to 4, but I want more seat time before I ask for a check ride up. I want to experience more things at this level to ensure I am prepared for passing anywhere in 4.

Next steps after that would probably be TT, but that is really just to allow me to become a Coach. I was an Instructor in other jobs and really enjoying teaching others about something I love. If I ever got hit by the money fairy, it would be nice to move into racing with NASA at some point.

Monaca Pa
I want to do a HPDE at my local track. I just hate starting from the very beginning. I’m in the Advanced session with SCCA Track Nights and some of the drivers should not be in advanced. All my track time has been racing shifter karts around the country. I do miss the wheel to wheel racing karts but the car is so much easier on my body lol

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
San Antonio
Every HPDE event is different, some let you choose your own class, some ask you to submit your experience and they place you, some you can just reach out to the organizer and talk with them to get placed in the correct level. If you did get placed in an entry class, you can normally sign up for a check ride and move into the appropriate class on the day of the event. If you like HPDE, having an instructor for the first run or so is always helpful and well worth it to get out there on the track.

I've heard lots of stories about how brutal those shifter carts can be, but I've never actually been in them before to feel it. I've only done the K1 speed and Andretti carts which are no where near those shifters.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel