The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Schroth Enduro Harness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Here's a pic of my new FIA2013 schroth enduro 6pt racing harness.
harness.jpg

If anyone else uses this harness would love some feedback.
Specifically with use of a HANS (the driver side is a hans harness), which I will do this season at some point.

PS. Yes, my DOT 3-point "seatbelt" is still in the car. lol

that's the belt I used in my last track car...with HANS. I don't track without the HANS.
I've only REALLY needed it once. but I'm sure glad I had it.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
DGRacing said:
Here's a pic of my new FIA2013 schroth enduro 6pt racing harness.
harness.jpg

Specifically with use of a HANS (the driver side is a hans harness), which I will do this season at some point.

PS. Yes, my DOT 3-point "seatbelt" is still in the car. lol

Nice belt. I am a reseller, pricey but excellent quality. The 2" shoulder harnesses really should be used with a Hans, and just for safety's sake I'd add that as soon as you can.

Point of Info: The 3" shoulder belts are more appropriate for use w/o the Hans,and safer if you are not going to use one. However, Schroth has approved the 3" shoulder belts (at least on the PROFI-II belt model, if not others) for use with a Hans device also.

Sesshomurai

Is there a particular HANS you guys can recommend? I'm an XL dude.
OGRacing is 20 miles from me, so I might have to truck over there.

Darren

PeteInCT

Connecticut
DGRacing said:
Is there a particular HANS you guys can recommend? I'm an XL dude.
OGRacing is 20 miles from me, so I might have to truck over there.

Darren

It's really based on how much you want to spend. I would recommend that you stick to the actual "HANS" device, there are other companies that make a device that supposedly accomplishes the same task, and they very well might, but HANS has all of the years behind them and since it's a safety device it best not to skimp on this (as well as a good set of belts). There are 4 basic models SPORT, SPORT II, ADJUSTABLE and PROFESSIONAL, in order of cost. The Pro is the lightest and probably the most comfortable. I bought mine form HMS Motorsports online. You will see practically no variation in pricing on these items.

-Pete

Pete's on it with the good info. if you don't have a hans yet (I think you should, but that's for you to determine, not me), you probably shouldn't be using the 2" shoulders. I believe schroth will sell you just the shoulders for those, also...in 3"

I ran the 2" driver's side and 3" passenger side...in case a passenger didn't have a hans...and with the profi that I had on the pass side, schroth says it's ok to run with hans. they also have system (forgot the actual name...maybe asm?) that allows for a small piece of extra webbing to let go on one side of the shoulders, but not the other, to allow your torso to pivot a bit and reduce forward movement of your head.

re: HANS sizing...I'd definitely try it on...neck width is a key for sizing (versus just torso height). they sell different angled units depending on the type of car you're in...so make sure to get the one for the more upright sports car position (versus a formula car, for instance). and for the model...well...I did spend the extra money to get a carbon helmet since I felt the weight savings would be worth it on my head....but I didn't on the HANS...hard to see that I little bit of weight in a static position is going to matter much.

and don't skimp. get the real deal HANS.

DGRacing said:

My LeMons/Chump team uses that harness (which cost almost as much as the car) and we love it. HANS says a 3" belt is perfectly fine, but in truth, the 2" (shoulders only) does seem to work better in my experience. I tend to use Sabelt belts, but I have been very impressed with Schroth quality and I'm not sure I wouldn't turn to them for my next set. Be aware that not every sanctioning body is down with the new 2"/3" hybrid belts.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Good info here.

One more thing to add - some clubs require that the harnesses on the drivers/passenger sides are identical. Some have the rule but don't enforce it to the N'th degree, but one whom I can think of does. Hence, I have 3" shoulder belts and use a HANS Pro. True it's little bit of a hassle but not enough to cause me any issues. And I feel better that if I do have a student or coach in the right seat that doesn't have a Hans their collarbones may feel better in the event I trade some paint ;D

Sesshomurai

Yeah, I'm hoping NASA will let it slide that I have a 4 point in the passenger seat (I'm in the solo group so prolly ok for now).

I still have the stock recaro there and it doesn't have openings in the seat cushion for the 6pt belt. As soon as I sell the passenger seat ($500+shipping 8)), I'll put an Evo II there and fit the other belt.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I use a PROFI-II with 6pt custom made harnesses that go under the butt. Works well with the Recaro's. I don't even feel the harness under me but them again it's not exactly hitting bone so to speak ;D

And as for NASA, well, you got it.

yep, I've used the 3" belts with a HANS in a few different cars...not a problem.
and I think most groups make that rule about identical safety equipment on passenger side so there's not a huge mismatch...I've guys in good seats, 6-points, etc...with passengers in, basically, the stock setup...3-point belt, stock seat. To me, that just screams risk tolerance imbalance...and you'd never find me in the passenger seat in a situation like that. we actually had a miata go nose-in on the exit of 4 at Laguna Seca two years ago with our CFRA club...passenger was in a stock setup and driver was in a decent upgraded setup. I would rather have been the driver.
also say two miatas go into that wall at the same time at one of my skip barber classes (we were running formula cars and trading track time with the miatas)...they tangled on exit and nosed them into the inside wall in the skippy school cars. One guy had a HANS. the other didn't. I would have rather been the guy with the HANS.

PeteInCT said:
Nice belt. I am a reseller, pricey but excellent quality. The 2" shoulder harnesses really should be used with a Hans, and just for safety's sake I'd add that as soon as you can.

Point of Info: The 3" shoulder belts are more appropriate for use w/o the Hans,and safer if you are not going to use one. However, Schroth has approved the 3" shoulder belts (at least on the PROFI-II belt model, if not others) for use with a Hans device also.
Great belts! I have these in my car as well. Easy to adjust.

I have the HANS sport and 3" belts. Works good and I'm with fuhrius, definitely feel better about having it although I've done plenty of track days in the past without it. Of course when we were kids almost no one wore seat belts either :eek: I'm with Pete on getting the real thing.

Sesshomurai

Yeah, this harness is second to none.

I tried on some HANS (the real deal) devices the other day. Didn't see the benefit of the carbon fiber one at +$300. It's not like I'm running a marathon wearing it.

I didn't install the elastic bungies to pull the harnesses back (usually for driver quick change). But am thinking of doing it anyway. I hate digging around for belts. Has anyone who uses this harness, installed the elastic bungies? If so, where? Rollbar?

TMO Supporting Vendors