The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 ScottFromIowa Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome neighbor and do consider zipping over to Lincoln, Ne. for a run or two at the SCCA Solo Nationals site, or to Hastings for the big Mustang track party in September. If you are considering a set of tires for your Boss , there are some great choices going into 2023. It seems we are back into a tire war like a decade or more back, so choices are really good for 200 TWR tires. Though Goodyear and Yokohama have come out with DOT Comp tires , they are hard to find/get and still are not as fast as Hoosiers.

Welcome and where in you located in Iowa?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Iowa
Hey Bill,
Thanks for reaching out. I will have to make it over to a Nebraska event. I get over for work a couple times a year. Tires will be needed soon. Car still has OEM rubber😬...I know. She was a cream puff, but there is age on the rubber for sure. Thanks for info. What would be your choice for a street/track performance tire? Boss is not my daily. I am interested in installing an MGW shifter too, as this is the weak link. Still in getting to know her phase, so haven't had a sense of urgency on rubber and short shifter. Best regards, Scott

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Iowa
Wowza, I just read your build. We are going to need to meet. I am going to want to tap your knowledge on Mustangs. Very cool that you have such a close connection to MGW. I am interested in having their shifter installed in my Boss for sure!
BEAUTIFUL Mach 1!
Scott

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Scott

The MGW was the first mod for my Boss also.
Tires and wheels came a bit later. If yours are 10+ years old, you need to look at them as a safety concern.

Ford did a whole lot right with the Boss. The shifter….not so much. They went with soft and vague likely to make city commuters happy. It’s not that hard of an install. If you do your own work.

Welcome to the site. Hope to see you at one of the events next year.

Tracy

TMO Supporting Vendors