The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Scottsdale car auction posts first decline since 2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/01/scottsdale-car-auction-posts-first-decline-since-2010.html

Scottsdale car auction posts first decline since 2010

The nation's largest car auction posted its first sales decline since 2010, with sales of everything from muscle cars to vintage European racers beginning to slow.

The auction sales in Scottsdale, Arizona — the largest auto auction in the U.S. by volume — totaled $251 million compared to $294 million last year. The 15 percent decline was the first drop in total sales since 2010, after the financial crisis. The price of an average sale also fell, declining 13 percent to $100,588 from $115,729 last year.

Hagerty, a collectible-car insurance company, said this year's auction featured fewer top-tier cars than last year, when a prized group of vehicles from the Ron Pratte collection boosted sales totals. What's more, competing auctions in other parts of the country in the first half of the year may have diverted sales from Scottsdale. Sales at the recent Mecum auction in Kissimmee Florida, for instance, were strong, according to Hagerty.

Still, overall collectible-car sales in January were down this year, offering the latest sign that weakness in the stock market and global economy may be weighing on the collectibles boom.

Falling oil prices may also have dragged down results. Collectible-car experts say many of the buyers in Scottsdale in recent years were oil and gas workers who had extra spending money and were willing to plunk down tens of thousands of dollars for a 1960s Impala or 1970s Dodge Charger. With oil prices trading just above $30 a barrel, the sector has seen job cuts and downsizing, and many of those buyers weren't spending this year.

"It was a big question going into this auction whether the buyers from the energy sector would be there," said McKeel Hagerty, CEO and president of Hagerty. "A lot of these guys were flush with cash and that helped drive sales."

Not only were overall sales down, but 20 percent of the cars up for auction in Scottsdale failed to sell.

There were some bright spots: a 1962 Dodge M37B1 Power Wagon Pickup went for $187,000 at Barrett-Jackson. Low-mile American-built cars from the late 1970s and early 1980s also did well. A 1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am sold for $187,000.

Corvettes remain a favorite of the muscle car crowd in Scottsdale. A 1955 Corvette Roadster sold for $605,000, while a 1969 Corvette L88 convertible went for $577,500.

Yet there was an oversupply of some models that have seen big price run-ups in recent years. The number of 1963-73 Porsche 911s went up by 66 percent this year from last, and their average sale price decreased by 20 percent. The number of Ford GTs doubled from last year and prices fell 8 percent, according to Hagerty.

That's a big drop. Not sure if the market is going soft of if the recent downturn in the markets had an impact on this.

I don't know if there is much of a correlation between the high end of the collector car market and the "everyday" level (let's say less than $40k), but to me the market for 2nd tier 50's-70's cars seems to be level or even declining. The really high end super elite cars just keep going up and up and up but that nice grade 3 older restoration car is not doing much unless it has real potential to make someone a killing. You have a '70 Boss or a '70 Chevelle SS 454 that isn't perfect? Someone might give you a good price so they can max it out and make some dough. You have a '70 Mustang Grande with a 302 automatic or a '68 Road Runner with a 383? Someone made money on that one already.

Meanwhile there is a lot of real garbage for which dreamers ask 5x the value. I see this a lot which makes me think there must be at least a few suckers willing to pay, for example, $5K for a dented and rusty '72 Dodge Dart with a slant 6.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
I think that is a pretty good synopsis of the market.

The 1 percent are always on the hunt for a safe investments.

High end real estate, high end automobiles and art fit the bill.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Last year they auctioned off the entire Ron Price collection. It's was extensive and included only the best of the best. I suspect this alone inflated last years sales, and without the sales bubble from the Price collection, it might not as bad as suggested.

I'll wait to see how the next few auctions perform before I start to draw any conclusions.

302 Hi Pro

four-walling said:
I think that is a pretty good synopsis of the market.

The 1 percent are always on the hunt for a safe investments.

High end real estate, high end automobiles and art fit the bill.

I've read where some of the 0.1% have soured on the auto market because the prices are so high that the potential depreciation is outweighed by the expense of storing/insuring/maintaining them.

They are now into antique firearms.

TMO Supporting Vendors