The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Scratched Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, my fault. Backed into the garage without checking to see if things had been rearranged since I left. Anyway, I was thinking of taking it in or repair @ the Ford Dealer thinking they would have the correct paint. Any suggestions?

Had a similar situation where I hit the button to lower the garage door while backing out. After realizing what I had done I panicked and drove forward with the door on the rear deck which left scratches on it as well as the spoiler. Needless to say I was about to get out 95% of the scratches by buffing it continuously with a scratch remover wax and electric buffer. I never would have believed it was possible considering how it looked.

I would think any competent shop would be able to look up the paint code and order the right paint.

I'm considering a touch up to a few parts of my car. Some scratches that were there when I got it, some after I got the car, some rock chips, and my new facia got a little scratched in transit shipping UPS from San Diego to Nor Cal. Oh, I almost forgot, a walnut fell out of a tree and exploded across the roof. Can't forget that. Paintless dent repair guy did a great job, but the paint has some flaws now. I drive the car so much more infrequently now with the Fusion being the commuter car, so I'd like the paint to be a little better. Probably install a new windshield. My dad calls all the pitting "sparkle." Yeah, ok dad. ::)

I had my garage door come down on my roof last summer,scratched it bad,I don't know what triggered the door to this day but I buffed all but 2 deep ones out!I think I can get the rest of them out with another buffing this summer.They bug the hell out of me.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Plinker said:
I had my garage door come down on my roof last summer,scratched it bad,I don't know what triggered the door to this day but I buffed all but 2 deep ones out!I think I can get the rest of them out with another buffing this summer.They bug the hell out of me.
[/quote

Use 1000 grit paper on a DA sander before polishing should make the process easier.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I would only take it to Ford for warranty work. Do you have any pics of the damage? Is it just the rear bumper cover? If you didn't go through the clear coat, you might be able to make it look okay without repainting.

Maui
Sorry this happened to your car. My friend and I were changing out my clutch a few weeks ago. We were using his friends auto shop and there were all these boats parked in the garage area... I accidentally backed into a tow hitch I didn't see and scratched the passenger side door pretty good.. Had to buy new OEM decals from Ford since I need to get the door and front fender repainted to match....(The boss 302 stripe on fender and door stripes for the passenger side cost 300 dollars!) I'm going to end up getting it painted at my friend's body shop since I'm paying out of pocket. He does automotive collision body work. I had the bumper repainted there a year ago when a teenager rear ended me. He has this machine that scans the car to help match the paint exactly and makes the paint at the shop. He did a great job... I think a good body shop can do the work as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel