The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SCT tuner freeze during download

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was downloading one of Shaun's JLT CAI tunes last night and the programmer froze at the very end. The screen said "Clearing DTC.....please wait". Waited 35 min then had to go to sleep. I turned the key off and when I checked this morning it was still frozen with that screen. I just pulled the plug. Didn't have time to start the car. What could happen? It seems the tune may have loaded but now I'm afraid to re-tune. I waiting to hear what Shaun recommends. Anybody have that happen?

Shaun just told me it is a common glitch with the X4 and that I'm ok. I was in a panic that I screwed up the ECU and the car would be dead. Just got home and the car started right up after 4 months of sitting and after a little sputter it went right into a nice idle.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
You have to update the device. SCt is doing almost daily updates that you have to keep up with. So if the last time you updated was when you loaded base tune and then you get a revision a couple weeks later you should return to stock, update device, upload revision and then program the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
If you have an old tune you like, and are not changing it don’t upgrade the device. Only have to update if you are using a newly written tune. Supposedly all new tunes are reported back to SCT/Derive and the manufactures can see that data as part of the recent settlement.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
When it happened with my X4 & 16 I called SCT who sent me a fresh tune with a different name and it worked fine after that. I've always liked SCT but it might be time to switch over to HPtuners and learn to do it myself.

You have to update the device. SCt is doing almost daily updates that you have to keep up with. So if the last time you updated was when you loaded base tune and then you get a revision a couple weeks later you should return to stock, update device, upload revision and then program the car.

I am getting ready to program the car with a revised tune, which I have not loaded in my SCT device yet. Curious as to what is accomplished by programing the car with the stock tune? I was planning on updating the device, loading the revised tune into the device, then programing the car with the revised tune.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I am getting ready to program the car with a revised tune, which I have not loaded in my SCT device yet. Curious as to what is accomplished by programing the car with the stock tune? I was planning on updating the device, loading the revised tune into the device, then programing the car with the revised tune.
In order to update the device firmware you have to remove the stock tune from it by loading it back into your cars' ECU. Won't allow update if you don't. Reason I always return the car to stock when uploading a new or updated tune is I want to make sure there is no stray data from any old tunes left behind to corrupt the new tune data. Over cautious but I worry less.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors