The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sears Point rider around

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorry guys and gals, no pix as I was too busy driving, but wanted to say thanx to Andy (FatBoss) for the spirited ride around Sears Point in the last session yesterday...Andy drives a Race Red 2012..

Fast and clean around the track....certainly got me that much more excited about picking up mine this Friday.

There were a number of Bosses that came out to play.

As my KR is on the ship heading back from Europe to California, so here is a picture of me in the "loaner" for the weekend. Nice to have trusting friends...

MN_1.jpg

It must be a good friend to loan you a car for a track day! I look forward to your impressions of your Boss compared to your KR. It was nice meeting you on Friday and maybe we'll meet up at TH in the Fall.

5 DOT 0 said:
It must be a good friend to loan you a car for a track day! I look forward to your impressions of your Boss compared to your KR. It was nice meeting you on Friday and maybe we'll meet up at TH in the Fall.

Hi Rick,

Pleasure meeting you as well...

Not just a track day, track weekend, seven sessions!

I thought that was cool that you gave me a set of brake pads for a car I haven't taken possesion of yet....lol...I gave them to Andy as instructed..

See you again soon, trackside...

Tom

You're more than welcome Tom! I knew you were itchin' to get some time in a Boss so it was the least I could do. Nice pic of you in the loaner "limer." ;D

Michael's a great guy. The ride he gave me in the 2011 GT350 is one I won't soon forget!!!

Here's some vids from the weekend. Man, oh, man I'd love to take that Shelby 1000 for a spin!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgU0h5MIFI0&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw&index=5&feature=plcp[/youtube]

The Fairmont!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UdlKJH2n20&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw&index=4&feature=plcp[/youtube]

And the rest of the crappy iTurd vids...

Drew... You really need to come to Nor Cal for events in August. Sat was a high of 71* and Sun it scorched up to 80. Sears Point is no more than about 1/2 mile from frigid San Francisco Bay.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-mxfEf1sE&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw&index=3&feature=plcp[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leu5GqRGb7A&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw&index=2&feature=plcp[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9UMDICuNi8&list=UUcgOnfApx-v5KoOvTesdODw&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]

captdistraction said:
interesting configuration they ran, is that normal for a trackday over there? (Its like the Indy on the front half, nascar on the back with the long turn 11).

Yuppers...the same for the two decades plus I've been driving there...

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
5 DOT 0 said:
NASCAR does not use the Carousel and cuts across the top of the track. Too many turns for them I guess. I'll let you know what configuration INDY and World Challenge run when I'm there later this month.

I've got more laps on SR/Inf/whatever its called than all other tracks combined, but its always been with carosel then the left side of the straight back up after the carosel, and then always the sharp 9a/9b. The only variance I've dealt with is 11, either doing the Indy short/sharp one, or the longer one back towards the pit entrance. I kinda like the Indy turn 11, as its sharp but critical on good exit speed if you want to beat your competitors to the hill.

Lemons racing, but lots of hours of it. So when I watched the video my knee jerk reaction was to gasp and pucker for some of the turns since I was expecting the car to go somewhere else, LOL.

5 DOT 0 said:
NASCAR does not use the Carousel and cuts across the top of the track. Too many turns for them I guess. I'll let you know what configuration INDY and World Challenge run when I'm there later this month.

I was answering for our open track perspective...the Carousel is one of the best corners on the track...but I can see the Nascar boys touching there, and spinning each other out, all day long...

Speaking of Carousel, three wrecks there over Sat & Sun, two of them major, one 2009KR totaled and an older (late 70's early 80's) track duty Porsche with the front end completely flattened too..the other not so bad, but will need a new rim and new rear bumper, Fox body Mustang, spun and backed into the embankment there.

5 DOT 0 said:
Do you think they were braking over the top of the hill or was there mechanical failures?

I do know none were mechanical failures, therefore my extra strong CSI skills tell me driver error... ;)

We all use different equipment and all drive with a different skill set. While I have some corners I really need to work on because I'm not clean thru them, I find turn 6 (Carousel) one of the easier ones.

Back to the other drivers, I never spoke with any of them, and thus can only guess. On the KR, there are a number of theories, i'm guessing he went to shift from 3rd into 4th, and mistakenly dropped it into 2nd, or he left the traction control on, he got out of shape, and then something gripped and shot him across instead of ahead. Who knows, but it sucks, hate to see that happen. The only thing not bent on the Shelby were the doors and the truck lid, the rest was completely wadded up.

TMO Supporting Vendors