The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

seat air bag bypass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
I only have one race seat currently so my factory seat stays in the passenger side. I have a HANS so ideally I'd like the steering wheel airbag disabled, but have the option of having the passenger side SRS system still active if someone wanted to ride along using the factory 3 point belt. Is this possible? Currently I'm just disconnecting the battery before unplugging the factory seat and then running with the dash lamp lit.

Well, of course a simple little job is complicated.
I have "Planted" brand alu. seat brackets to hold the Sparco Titans in place.
These brackets are nice, but not at all optimal for the installation.
Any recommendation as to a good light weight bracket set that might be close to or exactly what is called for in the the S197 Mustang?
As always thanks in advance for posting back..

OK here's how some racers told me to fix this............

1. Remove dash.

2. Get black electirc tape.

3. On back side of the dash put a peice of the tape from step 2. on the dash where the light is.

4. Reassemble now you don't see the light!

;D

Cloud9's info here is gospel this the smae info I got from one of the engineers from Ford when I had my '06 Mustang...

cloud9 said:
OK I was able to verify some answers to the above:

With the factory driver seat out, the steering wheel airbag will still deploy but not "intelligently" since it can't locate seat position. It will basically operate like a first generation airbag and deploy at a "standard" speed.

The passenger side is independent of the driver side so it will operate normally by detecting the weight of the occupant and proximity to the dash.

If you can live with the light don't sweat it.

If not there is a way to swap the senors from the drivers seat. I'll take me a while to write up from memory when I'm done I'll post it up.

lbp said:
cloud9 said:
I only have one race seat currently so my factory seat stays in the passenger side. I have a HANS so ideally I'd like the steering wheel airbag disabled, but have the option of having the passenger side SRS system still active if someone wanted to ride along using the factory 3 point belt. Is this possible? Currently I'm just disconnecting the battery before unplugging the factory seat and then running with the dash lamp lit.

Any recommendation as to a good light weight bracket set that might be close to or exactly what is called for in the the S197 Mustang?
I'm sorry can you clarify the question for me? Are you asking what brackets I'm using for the lap and sub belts or what seat mount I'm using. Thanks.

lbp said:
06mach1 said:
If you remove fuse 31 from the passenger inside fuse panel, you disable the SRS sytem completely. You will still get the SRS warning light in the dash, but none of the airbags can deploy at that time. The fuse can be removed and installed without disconnecting the battery.

OK, So I looked at fuse position 31 on my LS & it is empty.
- Any opinions out there?
Also, I'd like to completely remove the retracting shoulder harnesses from the pillar sections (l/r).
Any tips on how to get them out without totally screwing up the plastic interior panels where they slip down into? (I am new at this ???)
Thanks..

- Shoulder belt question answered:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/body/mdmp_0905_mustang_quarter_window_louver_install/index.html

lbp said:
- Shoulder belt question answered:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/body/mdmp_0905_mustang_quarter_window_louver_install/index.html
Glad you found it. I was going to post this one from my roll bar install too:

[pdf]http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/rollbars/Mm5RB-20-1_20-6.pdf[/pdf]

cloud9 said:
lbp said:
cloud9 said:

I'm sorry can you clarify the question for me? Are you asking what brackets I'm using for the lap and sub belts or what seat mount I'm using. Thanks.

..I figuerd it out.
My supplier didn't send the base unit seat mount to me yet (only got the alu. side plates & sliders thus far).
I am using Sabelt Titan seats & Corbeau corss bar, which is a POS. - It has foolish little flange mounts at the bottom seat belt mount points. This design prevents vertical stressing of the support (to effect a stiffening point at each side). - I'll send pictures when I get home from the garage.
However, I understand from PeteCT that Corbeau does have a longer support which bolts directly to the seat bolt point (at floor) instead of to a hinged flange.
...Back to the powder coat guy with a new set of supprts, more money, time.... :mad: :mad: :mad:
Thanks for posting. Later..

lbp said:
steveespo said:
I have the resistor plug for the seat airbags, what is the seat locator?
Steve

Is there an actual part (& p/no please) for the bypass described?
Also, if making up a resistor plug-in component from scratch, what type/value of resistance is required?
Thx

Well, I finally figured out the p/n of the test resistor is right on the picture ::) and I ordered a pair from <<www.shopfreedomracing.com>>:

Qty | Item # | Description | Price Each | Total Price
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | 418-133 | Air Bag Simulator Set 418-133 | $77.98 | $77.98
Processing: Standard (Ready for UPS or
USPS pickup within 12 hours)

Now, - ...any experts out there in ForumVille that can explain how to re-wire (load circuit) for the seatbelt warning?

Many thanks for all of the posts. This forum has been really helpful to me on this issue (and many others!!) :D ;D ;)

There is a procedure in the owner's manual called "Belt Minder" that you can follow to turn off the seat belt warning and dinging.

With the resistor you ordered, does that get the yellow light to turn off on the speedometer?

cloud9 said:
There is a procedure in the owner's manual called "Belt Minder" that you can follow to turn off the seat belt warning and dinging.

With the resistor you ordered, does that get the yellow light to turn off on the speedometer?

I believe that is the purpose of the "test resistor;" to mimic performance of the installed bag harness as per when operating properly, i.e., to diagnose/isolate seat harness/wiring loom issues, etc.

I haven't tried it yet & will post back when I do.

Thanks for the Belt Minder tip Gary!
Lee.

TMO Supporting Vendors