The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

seat air bag bypass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone know how to disable the recaro air bags when installing aftermarket seats for the track, i.e., Sparco seats, etc.?
Ditto other air bags...
Thx in advance for any replies

Test plug to bypass idiot light. You'll still get an idiot light for seat locator and if you do the passenger side to the occupied seat sensor

IMG_2272.png

IMG_2273.png

I just run with the yellow lamp on the dash with my race seat installed. Will the resistor get rid of that light?

Another question, when I have my driver seat disconnected (using the Sparco seat), are my passenger side airbags still active?

cloud9 said:
I just run with the yellow lamp on the dash with my race seat installed. Will the resistor get rid of that light?

Another question, when I have my driver seat disconnected (using the Sparco seat), are my passenger side airbags still active?

That is a good question I never found an answer to. If any part of the system is in error how does it effect other airbags. I am currently running with the crash sensor disconnected up front, not sure if the seat airbags would still work in case of a side impact?

BOSS X

Texas
lbp said:
Does anyone know how to disable the recaro air bags when installing aftermarket seats for the track, i.e., Sparco seats, etc.?
Ditto other air bags...

Just pull the fuse. F31.

BOSS X said:
lbp said:
Ditto other air bags...

Just pull the fuse. F31.
Does that eliminate the need to disconnect the battery before taking them in/out? I have been disconnecting the battery and letting sit 10 minutes to prevent accidental deployment of the airbag.

cloud9 said:
BOSS X said:
lbp said:
Ditto other air bags...

Just pull the fuse. F31.
Does that eliminate the need to disconnect the battery before taking them in/out? I have been disconnecting the battery and letting sit 10 minutes to prevent accidental deployment of the airbag.

No need to disconnect the battery if you remove the fuse.

06mach1 said:
cloud9 said:
BOSS X said:
lbp said:
Ditto other air bags...

Just pull the fuse. F31.

No need to disconnect the battery if you remove the fuse.
Does that also disable the airbag in the steering wheel and get rid of the dash light or do you still need the resistor?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Just to verify - if F31 is out then airbag system is totally diabled and the fuse can be reinstalled at any time without disconnecting the battery if we wish to enable the airbag system again ??? No resistor or bypass plugs (one in the same I guess...) needed.

If this is true, sounds like all we need is a SPST switch under the dash somewhere to easily disable/enable the air bag system ? I'm a bit skeptical since it sounds too easy....

If you remove fuse 31 from the passenger inside fuse panel, you disable the SRS sytem completely. You will still get the SRS warning light in the dash, but none of the airbags can deploy at that time. The fuse can be removed and installed without disconnecting the battery.

I only have one race seat currently so my factory seat stays in the passenger side. I have a HANS so ideally I'd like the steering wheel airbag disabled, but have the option of having the passenger side SRS system still active if someone wanted to ride along using the factory 3 point belt. Is this possible? Currently I'm just disconnecting the battery before unplugging the factory seat and then running with the dash lamp lit.

OK I was able to verify some answers to the above:

With the factory driver seat out, the steering wheel airbag will still deploy but not "intelligently" since it can't locate seat position. It will basically operate like a first generation airbag and deploy at a "standard" speed.

The passenger side is independent of the driver side so it will operate normally by detecting the weight of the occupant and proximity to the dash.

I forget the number of the fuse but I pulled the fuse for the SRS control module and I also got warning lights for the AdvancedTrac system. There may be more then one fuse for the airbags. I assume it was disabled but did not want to play with it like this and put the fuse back. I now unplug the crash sensors and can unplug the seats as needed, I will have to live with the light.

2012YellowBoss said:
I forget the number of the fuse but I pulled the fuse for the SRS control module and I also got warning lights for the AdvancedTrac system. There may be more then one fuse for the airbags. I assume it was disabled but did not want to play with it like this and put the fuse back. I now unplug the crash sensors and can unplug the seats as needed, I will have to live with the light.

Hmm..
Can you describe where the crash sensors are & what they look like?
Thx!

steveespo said:
I have the resistor plug for the seat airbags, what is the seat locator?
Steve

Is there an actual part (& p/no please) for the bypass described?
Also, if making up a resistor plug-in component from scratch, what type/value of resistance is required?
Thx

It is the thing tied down in the lower right hand side of the picture of the wiring. It tells the air bag how big to blow up. Well kind of.

lbp said:
Hmm..
Can you describe where the crash sensors are & what they look like?
Thx!

The front sensor for the dash airbags are in the upper radiator support. You can see it when you pull the plastic cover off that hold the hood prop rod. The side sensors are under the door sill plates between the carpet and inside rocker panel.

They are rectangular and about 2 inches long, I just pull the electrical plug from them. Without them plugged in there is no way the airbags will pop.

06mach1 said:
If you remove fuse 31 from the passenger inside fuse panel, you disable the SRS sytem completely. You will still get the SRS warning light in the dash, but none of the airbags can deploy at that time. The fuse can be removed and installed without disconnecting the battery.

OK, So I looked at fuse position 31 on my LS & it is empty.
- Any opinions out there?
Also, I'd like to completely remove the retracting shoulder harnesses from the pillar sections (l/r).
Any tips on how to get them out without totally screwing up the plastic interior panels where they slip down into? (I am new at this ???)
Thanks..

TMO Supporting Vendors