The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Seat airbags from standards seats fit Recaro?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Florida
I have found some leather recaros with a blown airbag. Will I be able to transfer my stock seat airbag to the recaros? I noticed the part numbers are different by only one letter at the end. Usually this means a small revision. Has anyone swapped the bags?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Florida
Updating for someone who may need this in the future: the s197 stock airbags DO fit onto the s197 recaros. I was able to remove the airbag from my 2012 stock leather seats and put it into my new recaros. The part numbers are different due to the mounting bracket revision. However, the recaros seats still have the OEM bolt holes for the stock airbag so it all mounts up and fits right into the seat foam.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Updating for someone who may need this in the future: the s197 stock airbags DO fit onto the s197 recaros. I was able to remove the airbag from my 2012 stock leather seats and put it into my new recaros. The part numbers are different due to the mounting bracket revision. However, the recaros seats still have the OEM bolt holes for the stock airbag so it all mounts up and fits right into the seat foam.

You send them for a restitching? Or close them up some other way? Ballpark on cost? I have been very interested in the upgrade, REALLY want to keep the street comfort aspect but would like to not slide around as much. Need the fold forward feature so the kids can crawl into the back seat.

edit - which year did you get, I am assuming the Boss Recaro but the 15-22 Recaro's seem to be more available.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Florida
You send them for a restitching? Or close them up some other way? Ballpark on cost? I have been very interested in the upgrade, REALLY want to keep the street comfort aspect but would like to not slide around as much. Need the fold forward feature so the kids can crawl into the back seat.

edit - which year did you get, I am assuming the Boss Recaro but the 15-22 Recaro's seem to be more available.
I am having the full seat re-done because skins are discontinued. I received quotes ranging from 450-650. I’m going with the higher end of the range for full leather. My seats came out of a track pack GT with the recaros.
The 15-22 seats look pretty similar, but the mounting holes are in a different spot. I feel like they could be made to fit with a seat rail swap.

TMO Supporting Vendors