The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Seat Belt "Clip" Wearing Out Seat... Anyone else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just rolled 1000 miles on the car yesterday. Washing it last night I noticed that the "clip" attached to the inside wall of the car, just behind the seat (clicks up and down, movable up and down to help people get in and out of the backseat), which guides the belt is already rubbing a "spot or hole" in the top left outside corner of my seat, I guess from moving and rubbing when I get in and pull the belt across me. If it already is doing this after 3 weeks and 1000 miles, doubt it will make it to XMas without being a big problem. Anyone else seeing this?

boss_seat.jpg

Wow bummer. Mine's quite a ways behind my seat. I drive in a very upright "ready" position....the way I was taught in track school. My buddies all give me crap about "good posture". I can see where this could be a problem if you prefer the seat pushed and reclined further back.

...actually, I'm sitting pretty close (for me anyway, I'm 6'1") and upright myself, like to be "on top of the wheel"... I'd keep an eye on it on yours too. I can't physically see that it's the clip, I have assumed. Maybe it is the belt that is doing it. I just know that for whatever reason, the belt and/or it's apparatus is rubbing into my seat and causing a problem. Bummed. :(

KG

DieselRocket said:
...actually, I'm sitting pretty close (for me anyway, I'm 6'1") and upright myself, like to be "on top of the wheel"... I'd keep an eye on it on yours too. I can't physically see that it's the clip, I have assumed. Maybe it is the belt that is doing it. I just know that for whatever reason, the belt and/or it's apparatus is rubbing into my seat and causing a problem. Bummed. :(

KG
I checked mine again and the plastic clip is fully behind the driver seat even when lifted into the horizontal position. However, the passenger seat is slid further back cuz the wife likes to sit back. I see a slight rub starting on that one.... :mad:

I took another real hard look at this yesterday, had my wife help me. It is definitely the belt rubbing - the bottom edge of the belt - that is causing this and not the clip. I hope that all Boss owners on the forum will keep an eye on this. I can understand if I see this after a year or so - but 2 weeks and 1000 miles does not bode well.

I too have started to notice the rub on the seat caused by the belt. With myself standing 6'5'' the seat needs to be back all the way and no way to avoid the belt having contact with the seat.

Sometime soon I will have to see if there is any kind of modification I can make to the belt setup. If not, I will just see what happens and cash in the warranty if a hole or something presents itself.

Update on this -

The "worn area" on my seat was finally getting bad enough that you could start to see the entire shape of the seat belt. I broke down and took it to my dealership for warranty repair. They ordered and installed a complete new driver's seat-back Recaro cover today and it looks like new again - they did a great job.

Just out of curiosity, I asked them how much I could order replacement seat covers (both seats, bottom cushion and seat back) for, in case I decided I wanted to get some to store away for 20 years from now. I'm sure by then these will be pretty worn, and it would be nice to have originals to replace them with. They said they would have to look up the cushion covers for the bottom of the seat, but just from ordering this one for the driver's seat back, they remembered that the price was over $1200. Just thought I'd share - looks like if you want some replacement Boss 302 Recaro seat covers someday, it's probably going to set you back $3000+. Wow!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Good lord that is expensive. Good thing that I am short so my seat is farther forward and this is not an issue, and that if that were not the case, that it is a warranty replacement.

It may not be ideal, but you might consider purchasing a seatbelt sleeve.

I have 900 miles on mine now and no problems so far, but thanks for the heads-up so I can keep an eye on it.

I used a black piece of 1/2" od poly tubing, slit lengthwise. Helps prevent the belt support from rubbing abrasively against the seat.

1TRKMND said:
I used a black piece of 1/2" od poly tubing, slit lengthwise. Helps prevent the belt support from rubbing abrasively against the seat.

Can you throw up a photo? I'm not seeing it in my mind...

I tried the sleeve and I'm not digging it so far - would like to see what your solution looks like :)

Thanks in advance!

I know this topic is old but with the new 2013 coming out hitting the street, I wanted to know if any of them are having issues with the seatbelt clip rubbing against the recaro's?

Mine is starting to get more and more noticeable and wonder if Ford will cover it under warranty? Afterall it appears to be a design flaw causing the damage. IMO

Update:

Sorry, should have posted this a long time ago.

The dealership replaced the seat back cover under warranty. It was a nightmare. It took 6 visits to the dealership over a three month span, a crappy Hertz rental they paid for that had bird poop, hail damage, and cigarette holes in the seats. They succeeded in creating one broken seat rail, two drilled out bolt holes in the floor, one replaced inner plastic door panel, and a replaced center console (they absolutely destroyed the plastic in my interior and tried to give it back to me in that condition!) while trying to fix this. Not only will I never return to Bob Tomes Ford in McKinney, TX, I will never let a Ford dealership work on anything in the interior of my car again if I can help it.

I put a sleeve on there as recommended in the replies to this post. It has helped a TON! But, I'm at 12,000 miles now and the shoulder is starting to look rough. Seat bottom cushion is starting to go too where I slide in and out. Cloth Recaros are cool, and I understand what they were going for here, but sadly, the weakest part of the car. These will never last the life of the car or anywhere near it sadly. :(

DieselRocket said:
Update on this -

Just out of curiosity, I asked them how much I could order replacement seat covers (both seats, bottom cushion and seat back) for, in case I decided I wanted to get some to store away for 20 years from now. I'm sure by then these will be pretty worn, and it would be nice to have originals to replace them with. They said they would have to look up the cushion covers for the bottom of the seat, but just from ordering this one for the driver's seat back, they remembered that the price was over $1200. Just thought I'd share - looks like if you want some replacement Boss 302 Recaro seat covers someday, it's probably going to set you back $3000+. Wow!

Well you can buy a pair of seats from ford racing for less than $3,000 so I am thinking the covers are not such a good deal :p

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/281.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=281&show=20&page=4

TMO Supporting Vendors