The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Seat belt harness bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My friend has the Corbeau harness bar and uses Cooltech harnesses and clips.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Harness2Seat.shtml

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_ClipSet2Seat.shtml

NFSBOSS said:
My friend has the Corbeau harness bar and uses Cooltech harnesses and clips.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Harness2Seat.shtml

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_ClipSet2Seat.shtml

I use Schroth ASM 4-points and am happy with the setup for now. I haven't verfied but I believe the cooltech belts are identical to the Crow "corvette" harnesses. They are over $100 cheaper direct from Crow if you don't care about the Boss 302 logos.

Sesshomurai

Dont get a harness bar. They wont save your life and have no serious structural integrity.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I don't think anyone believes that is the intention of one.

So let us all be more explicate: If you are concerned about implementing a higher level of safety, are not concerned about stripping the interior of your car somewhat, and have the budget to do so then purchase a full roll cage.Otherwise a good harness bar will allow you to effectively use a good 6 pt harness system and a HANS device.

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
I don't think anyone believes that is the intention of one.

So let us all be more explicate: If you are concerned about implementing a higher level of safety, are not concerned about stripping the interior of your car somewhat, and have the budget to do so then purchase a full roll cage.Otherwise a good harness bar will allow you to effectively use a good 6 pt harness system and a HANS device.

It wont protect you in a wreck. So if you want one for show or cost reduction just dont wear belts.
I was educated about this by a pro shop before i installed a half cage. Theyre just not worth the risk.

I did not purchase ny harness bar for safety, but rather to keep me planted and when tracking my car, as I'm sure others have. That in istself add some safety to the vehicle IMO. The only thing that can really protect you in a rollover is a 4 point + roll bar. Outside of a rollover, I would expect the safety of a harness bar and 4 or 5 point restraints to be no better or worse than the stock 3-point belts.

Funny thread this, i dont think just by saying a "pro driver told me this" is really a reason to have or not have one, as i pro driver who has written a book on the subject told me to get one.

The simple reason he said was fatigue.

If your in a normal 3 point belt you will be bracing yourself against the g-forces thats why your wrecked when you get out of the car after 20 mins, the 5 point harness fixes you to your seat so your body doesn't have to do the work for you.

thats the reason

not saftey

PeteInCT

Connecticut
He is, of course, 100% correct. There are safety factors though. At least in theory. The 'Pro' to a harness bar is you can use a HANS device with confidence and possibly save your neck in a head-on (re: Earnhardt). The 'Con' is that your head and upper torso cannot move laterally in the event of a roll over, which is why some clubs are still in love with either a full roll bar or a 3 pt OEM belt and nothing in between. I personally don't subscribe to that theory. I still use ASM shoulder straps to allow lateral movement as well as a 6 pt to prevent submarining. If my roof gets crushed will I be able to move sideways to prevent my hans from crushing my shoulders (or worse)? Who knows...

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Better than not having one. I don't know about cool tech specifically but bolt ins do not pass inspection for true race standards as far as I know. For HPDE's I think they are very acceptable. You want one with a cross brace. Check Maximum Motorsports also.

Sesshomurai

Keavdog said:
What do you all think of a bolt in rollbar like cooltech.

The bolts will shear in any major collision situation. Before you get serious about driving or enter open passing groups please use a weld in or just skip the risky bolt in kind entirely.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
There is always a better and more expensive solution. Let's keep in mind we are talking about HPDE events. Ones where 3 pt belts are allowed. Its all relative....

DGRacing said:
The bolts will shear in any major collision situation. Before you get serious about driving or enter open passing groups please use a weld in or just skip the risky bolt in kind entirely.
I assume this opinion is from first hand personal experience? Have you seen how the Maximum Motorports roll bar bolts into the S197 using Grade 8 bolts that are twice the size of the factory bolts? Have you seen the B pillar gussets the factory uses compared to the MM gussets? MM has been producing roll bars for the S197 since '05. I've never heard of one that failed or "sheared" off in an accident, but would be interested in seeing some examples. If these bolts were going to shear off, your factory wheels studs (I use ARP) would have sheared off long ago. If you get the bar with diagonal brace, there's no way you're not more protected in a rollover incident than going without one as many people do on HPDE days wearing the three point factory restraints. The upside is most of the S197s I've seen roll have had decent structural integrity in the roof area above the driver.....the passenger sides not so much.
MM bar with diagonal brace:
rollbaro.jpg

MM bar gussets at bottom of pic:

Factory gussets that came on your car from Ford:

MM Bar installed:

I've seen a Mustang that hit a concrete wall at 100 mph with this same bar and the driver was unhurt and the bar didn't budge.

TMO Supporting Vendors