The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Seat belts - 4 point mounting points with OEM recaros seats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking for a 4 point seat belt for the driver seat only with the back seats left as they are (non LS).

Does anyone know the answer to this?
On our cars there is a belt mounting point on the rear parcel shelf intended I think for child safety seats. It is under a snap up plastic cap. I wonder if this is strong enough for use with shoulder harness? Would be an ideal place to snap in a harness if it was strong enough.

What other easy options are available and which 4 point seat belt do you recommend?

I am not looking for cage or something like that. The rear seats have to stay and I want to be able to use them if I want (driver obviously using then the OEM seat belts) and the installation should be bolt on only.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
You really don't want to bother with 4point belts, the submarine effect which is what pushes your guts up into your lungs and kills you is not where you want to go !

There is no appreciable advantage over the 3point in the car now.

BECAUSE then you try to tighten to shoulder belts to keep you snug you push yourself down more into the lap belt.
You also cant get a decent mount point for the shoulder belts without putting in the roll hoop.

Now the best alternative is to figure out If you can mount 5 point harness in the recaro's

A harness bar will be your best option. While relatively easy to install and remove the top anchors with the shoulder belt extenders complicate the install. Whatever you do don't use the baby car seat mounts in the back.

I'm installing Schroth Profi II six point belts with mine and I'll post up photos and routing when I'm finished. I should have it completed on Wednesday.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/corbeau-harness-bar-0512.html

spacer.gif

Thx for the feedback, but a harness bar is not an option for me, I need the back seats from time to time. But I see the reasoning for going from the 4 point to the 5 point belts.

I could use propably a similar setup as you have NFSBOSS, but without installing a harness bar.

Does anyone has installed a 5 or 6 point belt without a harness bar? If yes, which mounting points did you use?

OP: I don't know what your intent is with the car / safety setup, so I won't presuppose an answer...but I'd encourage you to ask yourself a few questions:

are you going to use a HANS device? If not, you should absolutely consider that. Harnessing your body to the car without a HANS device sets you up for a nasty consequence should you, actually, ever hit anything...at what speeds might you hit something?

Might you roll over? because rolling over and being harnessed in without rollover protection is a very bad situation.

the recaro seats in our cars look great and fit great (I love them)...but don't convince yourself, just because they have holes in the seatbacks, that running harnesses through them are going to give you a lot of protection. It'll only hold you into the seat better.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
1) Schroth sells a system ( I am reseller, shameless plug ::) ) for Audits and VW that does not require harness bar or roll bar. Nothing like this for FORD though.

2) 4 point is better than 3 point as long as you use Schroth ASM harnesses. Read up on this. They are anti-submarining.

3) Comment on Hans is a good one. A good quality light helmet and a Hans is a good recipe to avoid a life insurance claim. Next time you are thinking of modding the car, mod the safety equipment first.

Call or email me if you want to discuss.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
3) Comment on Hans is a good one. A good quality light helmet and a Hans is a good recipe to avoid a life insurance claim. Next time you are thinking of modding the car, mod the safety equipment first.

Call or email me if you want to discuss.
[/quote]

Pete

Hans is a good idea. I have the Cooltech harnesses. Any recommendations where to look for reasonable deals on Hans and other brands?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
You'll get no discounts on Hans other than free shipping as far as I know. There are other less expensive options. I don't recall manufacturers but you can Google it. Steve Espo has a good looking alternative.

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
I ran a 5 point in my old 67... but it just had a turnbuckle under the seat connecting the shoulder belts to the crotch belt... it was JUST to hold me to the old vinyl buckets while autocrossing...
IT WAS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE... it was just to compensate for my random autocrossing style... the Honda people controlled the track layouts back then... rear wheel drive and a V8 required a different "Style" of steering and throttle input to maneuver the courses... lots of tire smoke... wasn't fast... but was fun...

Is it possible (if someone considers rolling over an acceptable risk) to get a harness bar made for trunk? This way you can just put the rear seats down when there are no passengers and hook it up.

Also, OP, if nothing works out you can buy a cheap CG lock like I have. It tightens the lap belt down and leaves the shoulder belt free. You feel plenty secure for street use. But it is a PITA if you forget to empty your bladder before getting in. I am also looking at a safe solution to getting a 5-point without sacrificing the utility of the rear seat (1 kid + 1 more coming...). I got an insane ride in a '65 Mustang with 5-points at an autox last year and have been hooked on that feeling ever since!

isrboss

OP, how much track time do you have in your Boss, or any car? I ask only because I think a lot of people just over purchase and sweat the small stuff. Depending on your goals and experience will be the determining factor on things like harness/rollbar and the likes. If you need your back seat in, then a harness setup does not make sense to me. Just get a CG lock or similar device good brake fluid and some better than factory tires that can be used on the street. Then go have a blast on and off track. For the typical track day you will not tire out your arms from the lack of a harness, and I have found as long as you get your lap belt locked down tight(CG lock) the lateral support is decent with the Recaro's. I'm turning some decent lap times and all I have is what is listed + coilovers, I drive to the track set tire psi and go, and go pretty fast.

isrboss said:
OP, how much track time do you have in your Boss, or any car? I ask only because I think a lot of people just over purchase and sweat the small stuff. Depending on your goals and experience will be the determining factor on things like harness/rollbar and the likes. If you need your back seat in, then a harness setup does not make sense to me. Just get a CG lock or similar device good brake fluid and some better than factory tires that can be used on the street. Then go have a blast on and off track. For the typical track day you will not tire out your arms from the lack of a harness, and I have found as long as you get your lap belt locked down tight(CG lock) the lateral support is decent with the Recaro's. I'm turning some decent lap times and all I have is what is listed + coilovers, I drive to the track set tire psi and go, and go pretty fast.

Well said lsr.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
dabossinne said:
Well said lsr.

I don't fully disagree, but I would not consuder any safety mods as the 'small stuff'. If anything , thereis too much emphasis these days on making cars faster and less on making DRIVERS faster and safer. Insurance is always more exoensive than it seems like it should be until you need it.

FWIW maybe this can give you some ideas..

Car originally had just a harness bar that attached to the "b" post at the seatbelt location and at the floor.

QNIEKckl.jpg

dummied up a roll hoop..

ui8Sixbl.jpg

Welded harness bar to hoop WITH GUSSETS harness bar had to be slightly behind main hoop for stock seats..

daLGXfel.jpg

Installed in car with downtubes and "doubler" plates

P1rxDgWl.jpg

With backseat delete

kzvdPJWl.jpg

Yes , I know it's a New Edge Mustang, but that roll bar could be made easily removable. It attaches to the floor, the "b" posts, the rear frame and the somewhat bizarre harness bar tubes, 8 places and you can still slide the stock interior in there. The reason this project got started was that I questioned the validity of only the harness bar, it bothered me the way it attached..and then the usual "one thing led to another" and we're off. That is about the minimum support that I would recommend for a harness, there is really no other way to safely attach the harness and meet the specifications for install. I guess it could be possible to run the down tubes to the wheel humps,(through the plastic side fascia and not through the seat area) they are pretty solid but you still have to deal with a cross bar when getting into the back seat. Little kids would be able to sneak under it without much problem and access to the rear is still decent if not great.

isrboss

PeteInCT said:
I don't fully disagree, but I would not consuder any safety mods as the 'small stuff'. If anything , thereis too much emphasis these days on making cars faster and less on making DRIVERS faster and safer. Insurance is always more exoensive than it seems like it should be until you need it.

Pete, if i'm not mistaken the OP is wanting a harness without a roll bar. That goes south as far as safety, and leaving the 3 point in place is more safe. I'm only replying to this post, maybe you are generalizing in this post?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel