The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Second track weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I did my 2nd weekend at MSR-Houston. I did a lot better. Still slow, but I found the limits of my 560 TW tires and did a lot of throttle steering due to them.

I was still in Green group, but hope to progress to Blue for next session. I def need different tires. Trying to figure out which to go with. Im on a bit of a budget so I'm thinking conti dw or cheap sumitomo htrz 3. I know neither are optimal but spending less now will allow me to save for 18x10 and RS3's.

Here's a little video. Camera stopped a little early at the very end but most of the stuff is there.

https://youtu.be/lA8n-6XFLl4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2012Boss302 said:
I passed that same Shelby twice.

You are a very good driver sir. I know I gave you the point by at least once....

Did you get bumped to blue ???

Robert....
Thanks, man. I appreciate the words. The best thing I did was ride along with my instructor (he was in the Blue 2014 GT). After riding with him, I saw how things should be and became more aggressive but controlled. Once i did that, I was catching everyone between the keyhole and bus stop.

Were you the white Boss?

My instructor recommended a jump to Blue.

Ken.

2012Boss302 said:
I have the white 2012 and my friend has the green 2013.

My instructor bumped me to blue as well. Good job, especially on those tires......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSrvR19HVmI&t=435s
Good job by you too. How many weekends do you have under your belt? What tires are you using?

I hated that white BIMMER playing engineer every session. After riding with my instructor after session 3, the remaining sessions were like a light switch was flipped on for me. Each session after that i got faster and faster.

At least the traffic allowed us to learn that aspect.

Good driving sir.

Pilot Super Sport, 265/30/19 f , 295/30/19 r. Love 'em, way better than the OE Pirellis.

Check out the Hankook RS3. I have a friend with a M3 likes them better than the PSS and they are a little cheaper.

That was my first time out going clockwise. I've been counter clockwise three times.....

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Looks like you both had lots of fun out there.

Congratulations as not everyone makes it to the next skill level group after their second track day event.

Now that the Track Day bug has bitten, it's time to open your wallets for safety equipment, dedicated race wheels and rubber, suspension bits and pieces, etc. Did I mention that we are very helpful with spending your disposable cash?

Very nice driving,
302 Hi Pro

I'm already eyeing some rubber and wheels. Ive been debating things for a while. Before next event, I need tires at least, brake pads (carbotech xp10 and xp8?). Then comes the fun stuff.

Still taking opinions on good 200-300 tw tires that wont kill the budget.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If you are going to Autocross the car as well , the Bridgestone RE-71Rs are the hot ticket Nationwide for Stock Classes and they are damn strong on the track too. You are down South so the Hankooks should be pretty good, but they are notorious for being skittish in cool weather --- Dumped the set I had on my Boss as they sucked unless it was a warm day!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel