The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sedans? We don't need no stinkin' sedans...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
XR7 --since you are another older male , and only up in Minnie Soda, let this Soc. Sec. Recipient invite you to view info on the Mustang Roundup in the nearby State of Knee Brasky. We both have White Bosses ( no don't go there ) and it is obvious you like to track your Stang! We get over 100 Mustangs in
Hastings,Nebraska for up to 4 days of time trials , autocross, car show, tech talk, banquet, trophies, and more. Check out www.racemph.com for a look at the Event! Coming in September, there will be others coming from your State, and if the past is a clue, we could have folks from as many 16-18 others.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Bill, thanks for the invite, I'll check it out. Sure would be nice to have a track in the neighborhood. What do you know about the event they do in Arnold NE? That looks crazy.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It ( Arnold Event ) is fun also , a Midwest Version of the Silver State Challenge Race. The Benefit of the Hastings event is it up to 4 days of track events ( actual timed runs - real time trials ) and it is mainly Bosses, GT 350s and some Boss 302s, and some other modded track beasts. Guys who go once usually keep coming back. Major highlight are the Ford Engineers that come and compete -- Ford GT there this year and we had two of the first 350Rs show up three years ago. Ford guys do a Tech Talk and we get some fun info ---- really is best track event in the Midwest for Mustangs. Heck we have had guys from Idaho , New York, Arizona, Alabama, Indiana, and Ohio show up, along with the large group of guys in the Central part of the US. Had a guy from Canada one year!

Last edited:

drano38

Wayne
I was surprised by Ford's decision too. Yes, F-150 sales are huge, but agree they need a basic entry level car also. Although the Escape is reasonably priced. Brand loyalty in any business is crucial, so hooking 'em while they're young is important.

I sure hope this does not come back and bite them in the ass!
I am also a little leery of this game plan but I suppose Ford has sales records of all their models and chose to proceed with this decision for good reason. The Mustang has been good to them and us for over 50 years! Glad they chose to stay with that! I hope "Ford Performance" stays strong thru this transformation.

Glad I got a FiST last year, maybe the resale will be pretty good now? Ford was not losing money on the sedans, though, correct? I see lots of Foci and Fusions every day in my area (MA), at least as many as F-150's (combined). It makes sense that the Fiesta and Taurus are out. But the people who buy a Ford sedan are not buying an SUV Ford ALREADY has on the showroom floor for a reason. I think they will go right to the competition instead. So I don't see how Ford is going to make more money. Better margin maybe. But it's not like the sedans are hindering SUV/PU sales. Gas is already starting to rise, I don't think people are going to jump up a size and down significantly in economy.

I for one am not buying an SUV or conformist crossover, and will probably go to Honda sedan for my next daily driver for my wife. Hopefully nothing happens to the FiST for a very long time but the only new car out right now I can see as a reasonable replacement is the ugly-butt Si or a Mazda3. The Veloster Turbo is a turd, Chevy is still run by evil execs and also dumping small cars, Toyota is boooring, Subaru are overpriced AWD and I don't vape, Mini unreliable and the community seems WEIRD, Fiat is just a European Chrysler. I don't see any other choice except Honda or Mazda for a small reasonably priced and fun manual DD.

Monaca Pa
I’m on our 3 rd Fusion a 16 ecobost AWD. I leased this one and was getting ready to get the Sport Fusion. Technically this is my wife’s car. 2 months ago my ford dealer said I won’t get a good deal on our Fusion because there are so many out there. I see so many around here just like WinterSucks..I don’t know what to do now.

WinterSucks what part of the south shore are you from? I grew up in Stoughton...

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Not sure what to make of this. It definitely makes me concerned that they'll water down the Mustang to fill some sort of weird niche. Then again, maybe we'll finally get the stripped out models we've always wanted so they can sell cheap, entry-level cars.

At first I thought...well that's dumb! And then I remembered my garage consists of an Escape, an F150, and a Mustang, and I don't need anything else.

Edit: I rememebered I do need a GT.

Ford is just following what FCA (Fiat Chrysler Auto) has done and they are doing very well. Dodge is sports cars, Ram/Jeep are trucks and SUV's, only difference is Ford will be one single brand.

Edit: I rememebered I do need a GT.
Who doesn't.. Is the GT on their don't need anymore list??? Why was it we had so many options to buy cars long ago and now those options are fastly disappearing....makes, models, entire car lines (Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Pontiac,Mercury, to name a few)...??? It's getting to where if you want a vehicle with 4 wheels and an engine...get in line.

Last edited:
I’m on our 3 rd Fusion a 16 ecobost AWD. I leased this one and was getting ready to get the Sport Fusion. Technically this is my wife’s car. 2 months ago my ford dealer said I won’t get a good deal on our Fusion because there are so many out there. I see so many around here just like WinterSucks..I don’t know what to do now.

WinterSucks what part of the south shore are you from? I grew up in Stoughton...

Grew up in Dartmouth, first home in Randolph, now in Sharon.glad to be out of Randolph :)

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
For those with a WSJ sub this is a good article. For those that don't the writer Dan Neil speculates it's a way to reduce their exposure to CAFE standards for sedans as SUV's aren't as stringent.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-real-reason-ford-is-phasing-out-its-sedans-1525369304
If that's the article that goes into vehicle footprint size, that by itself does not justify the sit-up-tall heights of SUVs (and to a lesser extent, CUVs), as it only looks at the plan view as an indication of vehicle size. On the other hand, maybe the mfrs managed to game the system to make it easier to offer more of those big bulky (and more profitable) vehicles.

Side note to jeffv8 and Winter . . . I grew up in Whitman but haven't lived in MA since 1970.

Norm

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
A Marauder would make a great cruiser/sleeper.

I. Have looked at SHOs in the past. The Boss, wife will not drive one. She had to have a SUV. Since I run all matters domestic I say yes dear. That shows her who the boss is. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel