The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Seized Exhaust Bolt...Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
So I was attempting to lower the exhaust to install my DSS driveshaft and one of the bolts on the cats locked up half way out and would no longer turn. I think the threads are destroyed as the nut is now stuck about 1/16" off of being seated on the cat. I realized I could do the install by threading the driveshaft from the rear afterwards. Driveshaft is in and good to go but now one of the two bolts is not torqued down on the driver side cat. I didn't hear any exhaust leak when I drove the car afterwards but I know it will leak. I will attempt to soak it with some liquid wrench on Monday but other than that I think I will just end up taking it to the dealership to have the old stud pressed out and a new one put in. I don't have the tools to press out the old stud. If anyone has any ideas on what can be done please share.

BLAZN BOSS

take a propane torch, heat the area around the bolt, when its good and hot take a candle and melt it in the area you have good and hot, the wax will draw in around the threads and if they arent too damaged it will screw out.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
BLAZN BOSS said:
take a propane torch, heat the area around the bolt, when its good and hot take a candle and melt it in the area you have good and hot, the wax will draw in around the threads and if they arent too damaged it will screw out.

Interesting.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I had this happen to mine. if its the inside bolt its impossible to get a new one pressed in with out cutting the flange off pressing it in then welding it back on. this is why my car now has a set of jegs cat deletes.

the other route would be to get a bolt cut the head off and have it welded in place.

as far as getting it off....I just ended up taking a breaker bar to it until it snapped.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Good news...I soaked the bolt like I should have done in the first place for about 4 hours and got it turning again so all is good. That is why I love this forum. Now time to start a new thread on another question I have.

BLAZN BOSS said:

I have actually witnessed this method work, I thought "no way" but it did work, unbelievably.

TMO Supporting Vendors