The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Selling my Boss 302S and TMS comes up with rational, thought provoking, suggestions ----- aargh!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
So I decided it is a good idea to sell my Boss 302S because it can be a chore crawling over the rollcage numerous times , plus races in my NASA Region are getting longer and longer ---- up to 40 minutes. Older guys get tired sooner young Trackrats , so getting a Mach 1 and doing just Time Trials seemed like a smart idea. Then ...................TMS sends me all these darn, logical thoughts , that with all the possible SEMA changes coming , true , factory built race cars will have a very solid base for intense racers if things get passed. That could cause a huge increase in desirability , since they could not be questioned and the supply/ demand scenario would likely make prices go up alot. Great, thanks, TMS, because you not only have a valid point, it has a strong chance of occurring and I am the one who is supposed to have the strong basis in automotive sales and history. Hmmmmm..........nothing like making one waffle on decisions! Especially after putting 20-25K in parts and likely over 30K once labor is figured in ( I don't want to think about that figure, ha ), TMS has made me question, but, the one tough part is my wife already gave me her wholehearted blessing. Dang, all of the married racers on this Forum know that once the spouse or significant other says , " Sure , go ahead, " that is the golden ticket of human speech!!

Oh, well, I guess since I am retired , I now have something to cause me constant consternation on a daily basis, ha.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
Just one more reason to keep "Goldie" :)

But really, given how much of a beating the car takes by just being on track both mechanically and getting blasted with rocks and crap sticking to race tires / peppering my front-end. I just makes good sense to me to do most of my tracking with Goldie and the occasional HPDE in the GT350, to keep it nice...

Bill, Because you're turning 39 soon have anything to do with this decision????....When I'm out in the Boss, some folks must wonder why I'm in my Son's car......Age is all relative to how you feel and how you want to live ,while you still can.....that can change at ANY tyme!!!!!.....I can still remember when my clutch ankle left me in limbo!!!!!!!!!!!!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Perhaps donating the 302S to someone who has hands on experience with the car would be prudent. I believe I know of a "museum" in Brighton Colorado who could use it.

I bet I wouldn't recognize your from any other track nut if I didn't see you squeezing your scrawny ass out of that white beast with the F.A.R.T. sticker on it. It'll be a sad day to see her off to another owner.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No worries, I happen to have two F.A.R.T. ( Ford Alfalfa Racing Team ) stickers on magnetic vinyl so I can apply them right away to any car. Plus I do have at least 10 sets to pass out to those drivers at the Mustang Roundup this September who decide that agricultural racing is in their blood! Heh, it is inherent that some drivers just feel the urge to race their inner Farmer when in Hastings, Nebraska,ha!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Crazy thing on mine, Torqueyboozer, is after three years of running my Optic Armor windshield still looks brand new, and the body has a minimal amount of rock pits ---- mainly run at Heartland Motorsports Park, Hastings ( MPH ), with a trip to Pueblo and another to Autobahn. One of my goals in staying out front, is it keeps the paint looking pretty, ha. Lost 10 lbs. in the last month and feeling pretty damn good, maybe another 10 lbs and I will have to reconsider, ha. Can't get both, MadCap, there is a 2013 Viper GTS Launch Edition next to da Boss in the garage and it is becoming an additional 401K . No more room for another beast so it is either the Rayyz Karr or the Mach 1 and I was so sure of my logic till TMS hit me with the value factory built racers could bring if goofy legislation goes through. Heh, all this drama thinking about my choices just gives me something to do in retirement.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
And then there's the value of the alfalfa you keep hidden in the undercarriage. Unbeknownst to me, I'm storing some there as well. That's a future story-telling adventure worth it's weight in gold.

Can't you tell Liz you're just storing the 302S for me?

Bill,

I would keep the 302S even for time trails. There is a lot more safety systems focused on track use in the 302S than in a new Mach 1, even for Time Trials. Accidents happen, and they are not always your fault and you don't always see the other guy blowing through a brake zone and T-boning you on track.

The other thing to consider is that each newer generation Mustang gets less and less forgiving with regard to electronics. So, to some extent, you either run the Mach 1 pretty much stock with some better rubber and pads, or be prepared to deal with codes coming up in the display.

Your Boss 302S will be lighter than the Mach 1. Depeding on where you sit with regard to power to weight, you might benefit from keeping the Boss and ballasting it up to the class rules you want to run. That means better weight distribution.

Finally, you can have you door bars modified for easier egress in and out of the car and still be compliant with the NASA and SCCA rules. PM Steve Espisoto for a picture of his driver side door bars that Leo Capldi / Capaldi Racing installed this winter. They essentially removed the door bars from a Watson cage (same as yours) and instead installed an X style set of door bars. The X is positioned in such a way that you get some extra space to slide in and out of the drivers seat.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have been having the same argument with myself, Mr. 2012-Boss, it comes down to the fact that if I have a race car I want to race , not do Time Trials. Trying to force myself to step down a bit, knowing my own competitive nature. Everything you mentioned is spot on and my other Boss ( wife ) is 100% supportive either way. After 43 years of marriage with 44 not too far away, I figure she is thinking either way she gets me out of the house for a weekend , ha.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors