The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SEMA now files suit against EPA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
What's wrong with you people?
Don't you know that only the government and fourth estate knows what's best for us?

Who are you callin "You People"?? I aint no people. LOL. :banghead: :thumbsup:

As the great Neo-Modern American philosopher once said. "Can't we all just get along"?

We can....leave my shiznit alone and we will get along gust fine.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Look at this article from this ignorant donkey. You would think as a "Senior Vehicles Analyst" he would do some kind of due diligence. He has absolutely no clue on what is all involved with performance and tuning. By by headers, off road cross/h pipes, cat deletes, tuning devices... It effects everyone from the supply chain to the end customer.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-cooke/...on-dollar-industry-is-trying-to-ruin-our-air/

Signed again!
I think this article came up earlier in this thread, or maybe one of the other threads. There will be some people who, simply by not having the same passion for cars and racing as many of us do, will ignore and dismiss all of the good qualities of this industry and the positive impacts car culture has on peoples' lives, as well as all of the ways the industry has reduced tail pipe pollution. They won't even make an attempt to understand and will vilify the entire industry. That's just the way the world is these days.

That willful ignorance is what we're up against. The only way to prevent more people from adopting that line of thinking is more education. It's getting difficult though, with all of the battle lines drawn on every single issue, big or small, which turn into deep cultural battles, and somehow get twisted and pulled into other cultural battles. You see it in every debate on every topic, by both sides arguing.

Keep signing these petitions and educate non-car people when you can.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Another wrinkle in the fight against the EPA... a lawsuit has been filed challenging the EPA's authority to prohibit street cars from being converted to race cars. This would force a panel of federal judges to make a ruling on it, removing all ambiguity on it.

Spread the word to any shop owners you know, though I'm sure many have already heard about this. Still, it's worth sharing this with as many enthusiasts and business owners in our industry as possible.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Another wrinkle in the fight against the EPA... a lawsuit has been filed challenging the EPA's authority to prohibit street cars from being converted to race cars. This would force a panel of federal judges to make a ruling on it, removing all ambiguity on it.

Spread the word to any shop owners you know, though I'm sure many have already heard about this. Still, it's worth sharing this with as many enthusiasts and business owners in our industry as possible.
I wrote a letter to congressman Swallwel explaining that I have a dedicated race car. I am licenced and the car is approved by a professional sanctioning body and it runs on a renewable energy fuel. Why can I not buy an air cleaner for it in California when the car would/could never be driven on the road, and I got a letter back full of non statement mumbo jumbo. So, I wrote back and said, "well that's great, but you didn't answer my question." I got another folly of lip service and I replied again that they still didn't answer my question and the email bounced back as "denied delivery" or some such verbiage.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I wrote a letter to congressman Swallwel explaining that I have a dedicated race car. I am licenced and the car is approved by a professional sanctioning body and it runs on a renewable energy fuel. Why can I not buy an air cleaner for it in California when the car would/could never be driven on the road, and I got a letter back full of non statement mumbo jumbo. So, I wrote back and said, "well that's great, but you didn't answer my question." I got another folly of lip service and I replied again that they still didn't answer my question and the email bounced back as "denied delivery" or some such verbiage.
You're definitely on a list now.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
That's why the lawsuit I mentioned above is a big deal. It removes the (CA) lawmakers from the equation, forcing a panel of judges to make a decision on where the EPA's power ends. I'd suggest we all make a little donation to support that lawsuit. I see that Turn 14 Distribution already donated $50k to it. I'd imagine other business owners and people employed in our industry would want to make a donation to get a decision from the courts.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Dear Mr. molinare,

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 3281, the Recognizing Protections of Motorsports (RPM) Act. I always appreciate hearing from my constituents, and I am glad to receive your input on this important issue.

As you may know, H.R. 3281 would clarify that it is legal to make emissions-related changes to a street vehicle (cars, trucks, and motorcycles) for the purpose of converting it to be used exclusively in motorsport competitions on a racetrack. It also establishes that it is legal to produce, market, and install racing equipment. The RPM Act would reverse the Environmental Protection Agency’s interpretation that converted vehicles, including those used in motorsport competitions, must remain emissions-compliant under the Clean Air Act.

More broadly, I believe we must recognize economic issues regarding land use and remember the millions who enjoy outdoor recreational pursuits every year. At the same time, these interests must always be balanced against the need to protect wildlife and our natural surroundings.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your views, and I certainly will keep them in mind. Visit my website at swalwell.house.gov or contact my East Bay office at (510) 370-3322 if we can be of service in any way. To stay connected, join me on Twitter @RepSwalwell, Facebook, and, if you have not done so already, please sign-up on my website to receive my e-newsletter.

That doesn’t exactly tell me what your position is.
I have a race only car that was built from a street car that is registered as a competition vehicle with the SCCA.
(Sports car club of America)
In addition, it burns ethanol, a renewable fuel, not gasoline, so it’s more environmentally friendly than most.
Yet, at present I can’t buy race parts and have them shipped to California, even with a legitimate sanctioned competition license.
If I can’t buy race parts for my race car…how am I supposed to campaign said car?
I’m not some punk doing doughnuts on the road, I’m doing this right, in a professional environment and my tow vehicle and street car all have proper emissions in place because I’m a responsible adult, but I am denied the ability to purchase parts to do this the right way.

What is your position on this?

Reply #2:

Dear Mr. molinare,
Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 3281, the Recognizing Protections of Motorsports (RPM) Act. I always appreciate hearing from my constituents, and I am glad to receive your input on this important issue.
As you may know, H.R. 3281 would clarify that it is legal to make emissions-related changes to a street vehicle (cars, trucks, and motorcycles) for the purpose of converting it to be used exclusively in motorsport competitions on a racetrack. It also establishes that it is legal to produce, market, and install racing equipment. The RPM Act would reverse the Environmental Protection Agency’s interpretation that converted vehicles, including those used in motorsport competitions, must remain emissions-compliant under the Clean Air Act.
More broadly, I believe we must recognize economic issues regarding land use and remember the millions who enjoy outdoor recreational pursuits every year. At the same time, these interests must always be balanced against the need to protect wildlife and our natural surroundings.
Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your views, and I certainly will keep them in mind. Visit my website at swalwell.house.gov or contact my East Bay office at (510) 370-3322 if we can be of service in any way. To stay connected, join me on Twitter @RepSwalwell, Facebook, and, if you have not done so already, please sign-up on my website to receive my e-newsletter.

That STILL doesn’t answer my question….can you answer the highlighted portion directly?

(from previous email)

Yet, at present I can’t buy race parts and have them shipped to California, even with a legitimate sanctioned competition license.

What is your position on this?

Reply #2:
Dear Mr. molinare,

Thank you for contacting my office, you've sent a message to an unmonitored inbox. If you need help please go to my website and fill out the "Contact Me" form. Alternatively, you can call my office at 202-225-5065 to talk with my staff during normal office hours.

**Keep in mine I am replying to the same email box. Suddenly its not monitored. Right.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I'm sure they'll find some legal justification for throwing out the lawsuit in the invisible FYTW* Clause of the Constitution. Only Federal judges can interpret that particular clause, and only after slaying a chicken and reading the entrails.

*F*** You That's Why

TMO Supporting Vendors