The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SEMA now files suit against EPA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Of Course. How do you like the new "Woke" me??? :oops:
About as much as I like it on other people.
But, my apologies, let's not thread jack this important topic.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Customized message by naming the race tracks in my state, as well as explaining that the EPA move flies in the face of years of modification & classing rules published by all the large race sanctioning bodies in the country. Those rules have been used by thousands of grassroots racecar driver/owners to legally (they thought) modify their street vehicles into racecars to compete with those sanctioning organizations. The new EPA interpretation is a taking that would create a severe hardship for those amateur racers.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Response from my local Congressman...

Dear Mr. Stapler:

As an overview comment, Government censors forced on Congressmen by “the powers that be”[1] do not allow me to freely express my thoughts, so please understand that my reply to your communication may be watered down, pacified, and more generic and less specific than either you or I may desire.

With that in mind, thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding H.R. 5434, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. I welcome the opportunity to respond.

H.R. 5434 was introduced on December 16, 2019. This legislation purports to amend the Clean Air Act to provide an exemption from certain anti-tampering provisions for certain actions for modifying a motor vehicle that is not legal for operation on a street or highway and is to be used solely for competition.

H.R. 5434 is dead. It died at noon on January 03, 2020, when a new Congress was sworn in. Please know I will keep your views in mind should H.R. 5434 or a similar bill be introduced in the 117th Congress that began at noon on January 03, 2020.

Again, thank you for sharing your insight on this issue. Please feel free to contact me again in the future. You may wish to visit my website at http://brooks.house.gov/ for additional information about issues and legislation before Congress.

Sincerely,
se.gov%2Fsites%2Fbrooks.house.gov%2Ffiles%2FBrooks.png
Mo Brooks
Member of Congress

MB/DM

[1] Government Censors do not allow me to identify a political party or person(s) responsible for the censorship, or responsible for anything else related to this letter.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal

Dear Mr. Stapler:

As an overview comment, Government censors forced on Congressmen by “the powers that be”[1] do not allow me to freely express my thoughts, so please understand that my reply to your communication may be watered down, pacified, and more generic and less specific than either you or I may desire.

With that in mind, thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding H.R. 5434, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. I welcome the opportunity to respond.

H.R. 5434 was introduced on December 16, 2019. This legislation purports to amend the Clean Air Act to provide an exemption from certain anti-tampering provisions for certain actions for modifying a motor vehicle that is not legal for operation on a street or highway and is to be used solely for competition.

H.R. 5434 is dead. It died at noon on January 03, 2020, when a new Congress was sworn in. Please know I will keep your views in mind should H.R. 5434 or a similar bill be introduced in the 117th Congress that began at noon on January 03, 2020.

Again, thank you for sharing your insight on this issue. Please feel free to contact me again in the future. You may wish to visit my website at http://brooks.house.gov/ for additional information about issues and legislation before Congress.

Sincerely,
View attachment 63343
Mo Brooks
Member of Congress

MB/DM

[1] Government Censors do not allow me to identify a political party or person(s) responsible for the censorship, or responsible for anything else related to this letter.
Is HR 5434 different than the RPM Act? Does the above mean we are already in a bad situation?

Additionally, I just learned that Sacramento county passed a law making it illegal for people to work on their own cars in their own garage. This is scary; I hope this does not trickle down to other counties or other states. EDIT - I assume this mostly applies to people trying to run a repair business out of their own garage and not so much to the infrequent hobbyist

Last edited:

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Customized message by naming the race tracks in my state, as well as explaining that the EPA move flies in the face of years of modification & classing rules published by all the large race sanctioning bodies in the country. Those rules have been used by thousands of grassroots racecar driver/owners to legally (they thought) modify their street vehicles into racecars to compete with those sanctioning organizations. The new EPA interpretation is a taking that would create a severe hardship for those amateur racers.
Did you save your wording for all that Dave?

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA

Dear Mr. Stapler:

Sincerely,
View attachment 63343
Mo Brooks
Member of Congress

MB/DM

🤨 now we're getting coded messages from our representatives. WTH? This world gets more bizarre by the day.

Regardless, it sounds like the RPM Act is dead.

Came across this article:

Though I couldn't help rolling my eyes while reading how SEMA is portrayed in that article, I can't help but wonder if an RPM Act replacement bill couldn't be drawn up that doesn't also provide cover for the diesel truck crowd, since it looks like that's the big sticking point for the environmentalists.

With that said, if we outlawed the production of every product that was purchased and used for something other than its intended purpose or suggested use, we wouldn't have a pharmaceutical industry, or an alcohol industry, or automobiles, or steak knives, or countless other things. Why is it the EPA can't just fine all the individuals who drive those diesel trucks blowing all that smoke? Why is it they MUST be able to go after the manufacturers and installers of said products? Efficiency? I'm just curious about that side of the argument.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Why is it they MUST be able to go after the manufacturers and installers of said products? Efficiency? I'm just curious about that side of the argument.

People with power always want more of it and they'll use whatever argument they can to get it. Efficiency? Maybe for some of the true believers. Increased budget and a good bullet on their performance reviews is more likely. Nobody in government ever gets rewarded for decreasing their department's budget or reducing their impact.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
People with power always want more of it and they'll use whatever argument they can to get it. Efficiency? Maybe for some of the true believers. Increased budget and a good bullet on their performance reviews is more likely. Nobody in government ever gets rewarded for decreasing their department's budget or reducing their impact.
And yet, wouldn't it require an increased budget to go after the individuals instead of going after the manufacturers since they'd need more manpower to do it? Maybe it's because the penalties imposed would be higher if they'd be going after businesses instead of private parties? Maybe there's more revenue to be made that way?

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
And yet, wouldn't it require an increased budget to go after the individuals instead of going after the manufacturers since they'd need more manpower to do it? Maybe it's because the penalties imposed would be higher if they'd be going after businesses instead of private parties? Maybe there's more revenue to be made that way?

Yeah there's too much work involved in going after individuals and not enough reward. In a budget debate, "we managed to get Company X to reduce their emissions by Y amount by going after this process and they paid $Z thousands/millions in fines" goes over a lot better than "we harassed Mrs. Smith until she went bankrupt in court and it cost us thousands of dollars in legal fees." (Some) Companies have legal departments to handle this stuff and they pay big. Mrs. Smith would cost more in court than they'd recoup in fines, probably. Then you can say we need an increased budget to handle the legal battles, increased manpower for enforcement, etc etc, and say that you "secured a gazillion dollar budget increase while taking on Company X, how great am I?" on your performance report.

Last edited:

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
There's also the larger impact of going after a company. Go after the companies and put them under and you'll stop it all together. How many people are willing to do all this stuff as individuals? It's easy for Joe Blow Diesel to click and buy this stuff online. Remove the manufacturer and they can't do that, eliminating all the people who aren't willing to do it by themselves, and those few that do will stick out like a sore thumb and are easy to pick up after the fact. Fry the big fish very publicly, the little guys will think twice before doing anything.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
There's also the larger impact of going after a company. Go after the companies and put them under and you'll stop it all together. How many people are willing to do all this stuff as individuals? It's easy for Joe Blow Diesel to click and buy this stuff online. Remove the manufacturer and they can't do that, eliminating all the people who aren't willing to do it by themselves, and those few that do will stick out like a sore thumb and are easy to pick up after the fact. Fry the big fish very publicly, the little guys will think twice before doing anything.
Yeah, I get that. Maybe our best bet as track enthusiasts and racers (off road competition) is to separate ourselves from that part of the argument where the focus is on the coal rollers. I still don't like that part of the argument, but I'd rather have protections for people who want to convert their street car to a track car than not have them at all because of the diesel truck crowd. Maybe the two situations have to be addressed separately. I don't know.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Government Censors?
Can't say whom says what you can't say?
He is probably saying that in all his responses regardless of the topic because the House of Representatives tried to censure him for something he said about the election prior to the January 6th.

In any case, he certainly didn't give any indication whether he's support it or not.

TMO Supporting Vendors