The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sent It In The GT500 & GT350R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Spent the day at Sonoma Raceway tracking the GT500 and the GT350R back to back. Going to do a comparison article for Driveline Mag soon.

Both cars are very rewarding and provide different experiences. To top it off I got to spend time on track with several other Signature Wheel bro’s.

Big thanks to HOD, @byronj and @VoodooBoss for all the help on track

Enjoy these for now.

DE01F9FA-8339-4642-A71F-5CA673E059FA.jpeg43EFD2BE-B8A0-403D-95F1-01207384CBC0.jpeg8D0B761D-3C1B-4699-81B5-B83D7FF7CAA2.jpeg4B0F17E8-EB1D-400C-AD41-777443B8FB15.jpeg56B16DCF-D8AD-4829-A2B0-4FAB1557D7B2.jpeg0FE12D1E-BE5A-40E6-8B85-A358F04D9647.jpeg7F1B7DFF-A422-46C8-A4C2-E48D11D69FE0.jpeg
E8DB4EB7-4EE3-4119-9404-9BB1F7FB9B21.jpeg

That was a fun day. I drove T's GT500 to and from the track and it was my first time behind the wheel of a GT500 and a chance to check out the function of the Tremec DCT. As a guy that owns a Porsche with PDK (DCT in Porsche terms) I can confirm that the Tremec works extremely well. Riding in the passenger seat on track I was impressed with the shift points and how seamlessly and smooth the transmission is. It compares very favorably to the PDK. T was in Sport mode as this was his first time on track at Sonoma and I can imagine the DCT is even better in Track mode. Oh did I mention that the GT500 is fast as stink? I got a chance to hammer it a few times and OMG! It's not the quickest car I've ever driven, that would be a McLaren 720S, but it is the most powerful.

We also ran into a few other TMO members at the track including @tetstang and @Dave_Car_Guy

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
That was a fun day. I drove T's GT500 to and from the track and it was my first time behind the wheel of a GT500 and a chance to check out the function of the Tremec DCT. As a guy that owns a Porsche with PDK (DCT in Porsche terms) I can confirm that the Tremec works extremely well. Riding in the passenger seat on track I was impressed with the shift points and how seamlessly and smooth the transmission is. It compares very favorably to the PDK. T was in Sport mode as this was his first time on track at Sonoma and I can imagine the DCT is even better in Track mode. Oh did I mention that the GT500 is fast as stink? I got a chance to hammer it a few times and OMG! It's not the quickest car I've ever driven, that would be a McLaren 720S, but it is the most powerful.

We also ran into a few other TMO members at the track including @tetstang and @Dave_Car_Guy
Sounds like a blast!

I'm a little envious. I look forward to the day where I can cruise down to Sonoma or up to Thunderhill during the week without having to request the day off. No time soon, but I can still envision it. :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Regardless of what you drive , the Universal Consensus on the PDK is that it might be the best paddle shifting track ready automatic system out there and with many of the magazines stating the GT 500 Tremec 7 speed is it's equal probably was met with skepticism with serious track rats. To get an analysis from VoodooBoss puts the Tremec into a realistic light from someone who isn't writing a new magazine article and caught up in the moment. Much appreciated VBOSS to hear about your laps in the GT 500 --- the transmission's reputation is obviously as solid as reported !!!!!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Regardless of what you drive , the Universal Consensus on the PDK is that it might be the best paddle shifting track ready automatic system out there and with many of the magazines stating the GT 500 Tremec 7 speed is it's equal probably was met with skepticism with serious track rats. To get an analysis from VoodooBoss puts the Tremec into a realistic light from someone who isn't writing a new magazine article and caught up in the moment. Much appreciated VBOSS to hear about your laps in the GT 500 --- the transmission's reputation is obviously as solid as reported !!!!!
Agreed. We all know that there's likely a high expectation from Ford to have the writers gush over the Tremec in any of the magazine articles we're seeing published. Seeing feedback from someone who has no pressure from them (and owns a Porsche, and is a huge track rat) really says a lot.

Great to meet you and to see both those cars side by side !

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel