The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Seperate clutch fluid reservoir

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
It's all about protecting the brakes from the clutch, not the other way around. First, S197's have a history of cooking the clutch fluid because the OEM fluid line is too close to the exhaust. Second, if you've ever seen little black specks in your brake reservoir, they're from the clutch lining. Particles of clutch lining stick to the extended slave cylinder and get pulled past the seal into the cylinder. There's enough clutch fluid flow up and down for them to migrate up to the reservoir. So, a separate reservoir keeps cooked fluid and bits of clutch lining out of the brake circuit.

My GT500 never had a problem with cooked fluid, but I did have black specs floating in the brake reservoir. I sucked them out with a hand held pump and replaced the fluid, but I never got around to splitting the circuits with a separate reservoir.
Now that makes more sense to me...I haven't had the flecks either, but will look for it and also check temps. Thanks for the info.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
With separate reserviors the srf brake fluid would last for years! But I have boiled my brakes numerous times so I am a little sensative. I think the zl1's have a brake fluid cooler. Will IR the fluid next track day

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
With separate reserviors the srf brake fluid would last for years! But I have boiled my brakes numerous times so I am a little sensative. I think the zl1's have a brake fluid cooler. Will IR the fluid next track day

I've had my share of brake woes as well...hard to trust after that.
The fluid boils in the calipers though, not in the master.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It gets pretty hot in the reservoir, I have seen 245 degrees with IR thermometer. There is a lot of radiant heat along with transfer within the brake system.
Thats what I was hoping to improve a bit. Still with my 14" brembos and they really do get some heat into them as they get overworked.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have the same one,but never got around to installing. What did you use to cap the stock reservoir nipple , and did the stock hose plug right into this one ?

Used a rubber stopper plug, black vinyl cap and a black heat resistant cable tie. it ain't coming off

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Guess who's got the black specks...?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I am sure we could find someone who can build you a second reservoir. Fairly cheap:rolleyes:
Are you tying to make me build more parts....?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I wonder what would happen if the floaties were left in the master...any ideas?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level