The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Series of trouble codes? Help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been getting persistent CEL codes with the following DTCs:

P0010
P0013
P0020
P0023
P0443

I have done some searching and checked fuse 49 under the hood, and fuse looked good. Will replace for good measure.

I have a tune and blower etc... But it's run fine for a long time before the codes showed up so I think Its not tune related and I have something else amiss. Any feedback on where to start?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Surfergeek said:
I have been getting persistent CEL codes with the following DTCs:

P0010. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0010

P0013. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0013

P0020. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0020

P0023. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0023

P0443. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0443

I have done some searching and checked fuse 49 under the hood, and fuse looked good. Will replace for good measure.

I have a tune and blower etc... But it's run fine for a long time before the codes showed up so I think Its not tune related and I have something else amiss. Any feedback on where to start?

Thanks!

This might help, see the above links. Other than your mods added sometime ago, did you have any other work performed lately?

The reason I ask is, the Ford Dealer Service Department once worked on my 2012 Boss TP fix a transmission leak. A day or two later I had the CEL illuminate with codes in the P0020 - 23. The Service Department found one of the Camshaft Sensor connections was broken and wouldnt stay securely connected.

Please let us know what you find out.

302 Hi Pro

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
To have all those VCT codes at once plus an evap code definitely made me think of disrupted wiring or grounds.

Start with the easy stuff and check the ground bolts around the perimeter of the engine bay to make sure they are snug. If that passes muster, start tracing back the harness from the solenoids at the front of the heads and look for signs of rubbing/vibration or melting (header or belt/pulley contact ?).

Thanks for the input, as I get some time, I'll take a look at the wiring, for ground issues, melted wires, etc...

Aside from the CEL, the it seems mostly the drivability is a lumpy idle, at times.

Thanks!

Finally got to the bottom of this.

Checked fuses under the hood, All those sensors run off the same fuse, fuse was good.

Looked at ground points, all ground points in tact.

Inspected the plug that the harness for those items plug into, and one of the pins was corroded. Cleaned it up, and seems to be working fine now, added some dielectric grease, to prevent future erosion.

Not sure how the pin got corroded, so have to keep an eye on it.

Glad it wasn't more than that.

Surfergeek said:

Checked fuses under the hood, All those sensors run off the same fuse, fuse was good.

Inspected the plug that the harness for those items plug into, and one of the pins was corroded. Cleaned it up, and seems to be working fine now, added some dielectric grease, to prevent future erosion.

Nice work.

I've learned that the pin contacts will exhibit corrosion as well. My new wiring harness had some grease in a few of the plugs, but not all of them. I went ahead and added some to each connector as a preventative measure. I never had an actual issue with corrosion, but living in Florida with gobs of humidity I'm sure I was living on borrowed time without it.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Surfergeek said:

Surfergeek:

Nice electrical diagnostic work! Excellent thought process.
Regards,
2HP

Can't take all the credit. Got to a certain point myself where I was pretty sure it was wiring somewhere and had the shop do the last bit where they nailed down the location in the harness.

But between reading and researching I am glad we found it.

Interesting thing about the cam sensor harness, in reading the book that came with the owners kit i noted a comment that Ford discovered this issue during the racing in early 2011 and it said design change to the sensor harness was made to production cars....well apparently not on 2012 cars I guess. I haven had an issue but I did pull the connectors and add dielectric grease. My car has all the connectors taped up. Is that the way they all were? My son's 13 F150 has the new style connectors.

k98dave said:
Interesting thing about the cam sensor harness, in reading the book that came with the owners kit i noted a comment that Ford discovered this issue during the racing in early 2011 and it said design change to the sensor harness was made to production cars....well apparently not on 2012 cars I guess. I haven had an issue but I did pull the connectors and add dielectric grease. My car has all the connectors taped up. Is that the way they all were? My son's 13 F150 has the new style connectors.

My car is an early production 2013. It wasn't taped up, there was a mounting tab where the connecter was mounted, but it seats underneath the radiator hose / coolant tank that I have (Moroso tank in mine)

We re-located it away from those potential sources of fluid so as to avoid this in the future.

How you guys doing, I'm super new on this forum and I'm experiencing the same exact engine code P0020.
I have a 2012 Boss 302 N/A and I 1/4 mile it. I swapped out my alternator from reading some forums saying the alternator maybe sending wrong voltage didn't fix the problem. And I see you guys talking about a connector or pin. Please explain or give me some details where it's located. Also Ford will not work on my car due to it being "Decently Heavly Modded" haha . Please help thank you

I have had no problems since this fix. The plug is located near the front of the engine close to the radiator. Can't say exactly without going under the hood and looking at it. But is is located in the region of the upper radiator hose.

I have had no problems since this fix. The plug is located near the front of the engine close to the radiator. Can't say exactly without going under the hood and looking at it. But is is located in the region of the upper radiator hose.

Sounds good thanks for the quick reply, imma take a look in a few minutes. Also I forgot to mention in my first post my camshaft actuators are tapped. Idk if that really means anything.

What do you mean by the "actuators are tapped"?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel