The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Serious advice between a gt500 and Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please do not give your opinion if you have not owned or driven BOTH cars. Ok so I have a choice between keeping my 2012 Boss 302 and adding a Kennebell supercharger to it or getting a 2012 gt500? I am wanting the good and the bad between either I have never driven a gt500 or even in one I do know the supercharger on my boss would kick butt and also I would have no more warantee Thats the part I am not sure of. i am worried if I buy the gt500 that it would be a super heavy car after driving my boss? This is from Kennebell-----

"We sell a complete kit for the Boss 302 it will come with everything you need to install the kit and drive the vehicle, no tune necessary the kit will come with the Kenne Bell tune. The Black finish 2.8 kit is $6599 shipping is $170 for ground. It designed to 100% reliable on a 100% stock car and should last the life of the vehicle."

Anyone here have one of these.

I owned a 2008 GT500. It was a brutal car in terms of acceleration, and the new ones have even more power. But it can't hold a candle to the Boss in handling. Between the bigger motor and the blower, there's way too much weight on the front end. It's a skittish platform to begin with, and the extra weight on the nose makes it worse. One of the car magazines said the GT500 has all the handling of a Fed Ex truck compared to the Boss. You could change the rear suspension over to a Watts link and that would help, but it will never be a Boss in terms of handling.

The flip side of the coin is that modding the Boss will detract from it's value. You can add an intake, tune, and different blower pulley to the 5.4 GT500s (don't know about the 5.8s) and have a car with some very serious horsepower. Plus you'd have a car with more amenities such as leather, power seat, etc.

It really boils down to what your priorities are. My take from reading your post is that horsepower is more important than handling. In that case, I'd sell the Boss and go with the GT500 with some mods.

As for me, I much prefer the Boss. I was going to put a Watts link under my GT500 and if I had done that I might have kept it. But I'm much happier with the Boss. I don't need the extra amenities, especially since the Boss is not a daily driver. I'm happy with 444 horsepower and great handling. If I felt I needed more power, I'd look into an intake and tune. But I wouldn't upset the handling by adding more weight to the front end.

Almost all of your posts are about adding more power. If you're not going to track your Boss on a road course get the GT500. And I have driven both. ;)

I've driven both. '13 Boss, '11GT500.

Its pretty simple, if you want raw power go with the Shelby, if you want more of a track car or mountain carver stick with the Boss.

Personally, I really enjoy the Boss because its such a nice NA motor and well tuned chassis. Only you can really answer what matters most to you.

I think it's impossible to give you good advice without knowing what your plans are. Are you going to track it? drag it? just a street cruiser? A little more info would help us help you.

I have a boss my brother has a 07 Shelby with a whipple and it just raw power really different worlds when I drive his car compared too ours. but a boss with a kenne bell on it should be a beast, our cars are so light compared to the Shelby, lethal went 10.3 with a Paxton on there 2012 boss

Thank you for your comments, I believe that I am going to test drive the local gt500 they have for sale, my toss up has always been the handleing part, the boss does handle and that is alot of fun and this may just be the part that just shuts me up. I do not believe the boss would have a ton of weight added by their supercharger it is billet aluminum. For now I will do the test drive and find out how much weight will be added to the car. I could not imagine any more then around 50 pounds being you are taking off some things. If thats the case of not alot of weight added I think I will end up with one fast boss simply the boss is a better looking car.

LindsayEOD said:
I think it's impossible to give you good advice without knowing what your plans are. Are you going to track it? drag it? just a street cruiser? A little more info would help us help you.

I wont be tracking the car anytime soon just street use some drags and ofcourse some fun on back roads.

That's what I'm saying the boss light weight and handling with the power will be a lot of fun the supercharger shouldn't add a lot off weight u will have one really fast boss you'll make a lot rich people with there expensive cars really angry lol

Phiffzooted said:
Should also look into vortex or Paxton superchargers I don't see how the kenne bell would fit under the hood without changing it

It is not taller then the stock intake. Stock hood is fine this is one thing I decided to check on first.

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/SC_pg/Mustang%205.0%20(2011)/layouts/Mustang2011.htm

well

if your after more power its alot cheaper to just bolt on this whipple.
because your gonna take a hit on the price of the gt500 and the trade in on the boss...if thats the route you take.

if you do not like it sell off the blower kit and the car and go with the gt500 then

I own both cars,
a 2011 Shelby Gt500 with the SVTPP. the only thing I wish it had was Recarros seats, I have a 2013 Boss 302 and aI will only do a C.A.I. and a tune. Get the Shelby especially if it has the SVTPP.

If the KB indeed only adds 50 pounds, then that would be the best of both worlds. Plus, if you were really serious, you could replace some front end components with aluminum or carbon fiber and probably lose half of that 50 pounds.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
JonW said:
If the KB indeed only adds 50 pounds, then that would be the best of both worlds. Plus, if you were really serious, you could replace some front end components with aluminum or carbon fiber and probably lose half of that 50 pounds.
an alum driveshaft and lighter mufflers would get you there if not close. to shave that 50 back off.

This forum is one great tool and all of the comments are great. Here is what I have so far into my boss and the reason I am considering the supercharger first, Mgw shifter,clutch line,gt500 mufflers, qotp electric cutouts, hydraulic pistons for the hood, a complete radio system, the best quality touch screen, backup cam, navigation, bluetooth, sat radio, complete laser jamming system, touchscreen ac/heat and not to mention my boss has the upgrade package recaros, brembos,front brake cooling, 3.73 torsen and most likely more I even forgot about. So you can see why I am considering the supercharger. I just cant imagine what it will take to get a gt500 up this far. I will kepp you posted on my ending decision it will be this week I am sure.

JonW said:

I will find out this week hope monday on the added weight.

Justin said:
JonW said:
an alum driveshaft and lighter mufflers would get you there if not close. to shave that 50 back off.

Yes, but you need the weight off the front of the car if you want to offset the blower.

TMO Supporting Vendors