The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Serious advice between a gt500 and Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
JonW said:
Justin said:
JonW said:
If the KB indeed only adds 50 pounds, then that would be the best of both worlds. Plus, if you were really serious, you could replace some front end components with aluminum or carbon fiber and probably lose half of that 50 pounds.
an alum driveshaft and lighter mufflers would get you there if not close. to shave that 50 back off.

Yes, but you need the weight off the front of the car if you want to offset the blower.
move the batt to the back along with the DS and exhaust and a lighter rad support and the weight should be back to normal or really close front to back I would think

gremlinsteve said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB43VnqR52w

and then imagine your boss 302 pulling rpm like this with a blower like that.....

I am guessing that had a supercharger? What type?

no. my understanding is its near stock. retuned and shifting at 8200 rpm.
just though id point out the rpm the boss is capable of tied in with a bolt on like that whipple and it should be one hard hitting ride. and way differant

jeepinocala said:
This forum is one great tool and all of the comments are great. Here is what I have so far into my boss and the reason I am considering the supercharger first, Mgw shifter,clutch line,gt500 mufflers, qotp electric cutouts, hydraulic pistons for the hood, a complete radio system, the best quality touch screen, backup cam, navigation, bluetooth, sat radio, complete laser jamming system, touchscreen ac/heat and not to mention my boss has the upgrade package recaros, brembos,front brake cooling, 3.73 torsen and most likely more I even forgot about. So you can see why I am considering the supercharger. I just cant imagine what it will take to get a gt500 up this far. I will kepp you posted on my ending decision it will be this week I am sure.
Holy crap dude. Thats an impressive list. I would think you would lose a lot of $ if you trade that in. It would probably be a real PITA to de-mod it as well. I would probably do the KB if I was in your shoes. If you dont like it, de-mod and sell it for a '12 GT500.

LindsayEOD said:
jeepinocala said:
This forum is one great tool and all of the comments are great. Here is what I have so far into my boss and the reason I am considering the supercharger first, Mgw shifter,clutch line,gt500 mufflers, qotp electric cutouts, hydraulic pistons for the hood, a complete radio system, the best quality touch screen, backup cam, navigation, bluetooth, sat radio, complete laser jamming system, touchscreen ac/heat and not to mention my boss has the upgrade package recaros, brembos,front brake cooling, 3.73 torsen and most likely more I even forgot about. So you can see why I am considering the supercharger. I just cant imagine what it will take to get a gt500 up this far. I will kepp you posted on my ending decision it will be this week I am sure.
Holy crap dude. Thats an impressive list. I would think you would lose a lot of $ if you trade that in. It would probably be a real PITA to de-mod it as well. I would probably do the KB if I was in your shoes. If you dont like it, de-mod and sell it for a '12 GT500.

Yeah leaning toward that one. Going to do a test drive to see the hype of the gt500 then I should be able to make a decision.

The '12 Shelby is NOTHING at all like the Boss's. Its tough to describe just how big of a difference there is. I was all about the '12 GT500s until I got to test drive one before I purchased it. I was just really disappointed. Its great straight line, but it is HEAVY. If you are going to do the 1/4 mile thing a lot, the 500 would be the way to go. Its easy to get in the low 11's/high 10's. Thats about all they are good at, IMO. The Boss's are the best bang for performance buck there is. Period. Best of luck to you. Do you have any pics of all these mods? Im kindof curious about em.

Justin

LindsayEOD said:
The '12 Shelby is NOTHING at all like the Boss's. Its tough to describe just how big of a difference there is. I was all about the '12 GT500s until I got to test drive one before I purchased it. I was just really disappointed. Its great straight line, but it is HEAVY. If you are going to do the 1/4 mile thing a lot, the 500 would be the way to go. Its easy to get in the low 11's/high 10's. Thats about all they are good at, IMO. The Boss's are the best bang for performance buck there is. Period. Best of luck to you. Do you have any pics of all these mods? Im kindof curious about em.
I dont see how a heavy car would be the go to car for the drag strip. the 5.0 is just the better engine IMO 8lbs of boost on a boss will walk a 12 gt500 with 8lbs of boost at the track. and with either car if you want to get crazy with boost you will end up building the bottom end in either ride so my choice all day long would be the boss. the boss is one of the reasons why they had to go nuts with the 13 gt500.

Do you have any pics of all these mods? Im kindof curious about em.
[/quote]

I can take some anytime if you want just shoot me a pm with an email address so I can send them.

Justin

302BOB said:
Bottom line........if you want to enjoy superb handling on windy roads & at the track at high speeds, stick with the Boss. If you're looking for that power rush go where the HP is.... Shelby GT 500!
I will take a Boss with a KB over a GT500 everyday of the week and on holidays for straight line speed.

Justin said:
LindsayEOD said:
I dont see how a heavy car would be the go to car for the drag strip. the 5.0 is just the better engine IMO 8lbs of boost on a boss will walk a 12 gt500 with 8lbs of boost at the track. and with either car if you want to get crazy with boost you will end up building the bottom end in either ride so my choice all day long would be the boss. the boss is one of the reasons why they had to go nuts with the 13 gt500.
I dont know man. Its just so easy to get the 11-12 Shelby's fast in the 1/4. Its just my personal opinion. Im not a 1/4 mile guy as I've only been to a couple events. Not my thing. Just most of the guys I know that drag love the 500's with a tune/pulley/exhaust mod.

Justin

LindsayEOD said:
Justin said:
LindsayEOD said:
I dont know man. Its just so easy to get the 11-12 Shelby's fast in the 1/4. Its just my personal opinion. Im not a 1/4 mile guy as I've only been to a couple events. Not my thing. Just most of the guys I know that drag love the 500's with a tune/pulley/exhaust mod.

Give this article a read it might shed some light on what I am saying. the boss motor flows more air and bigger cams etc so it will only make more power.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1105_ford_mustang_kenne_bell_supercharger_5_0_coyote_vs_5_4_condor/viewall.html

BLAZN BOSS

no replacement for displacement
http://themustangsource.com/first-2013-shelby-gt500-in-the-9s-1010/#more-1010

Justin

BLAZN BOSS said:
and I would take the 13 over a KB boss but thats not what is in question here its 12 GT500 vs boss with a KB....

Justin said:
LindsayEOD said:
Justin said:
LindsayEOD said:

Give this article a read it might shed some light on what I am saying. the boss motor flows more air and bigger cams etc so it will only make more power.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1105_ford_mustang_kenne_bell_supercharger_5_0_coyote_vs_5_4_condor/viewall.html
You are also forgetting the fact of the MT82. It is going to have some serious issues with all that power. Why do you think the fastest coyotes are running autos? The Tremec can handle that power well. The Getrag is eventually going to fail. The Roadrunner is quite possibly one of the best engines an American auto maker has made, but we are comparing a Boss to a GT500 which is the whole vehicle.

BLAZN BOSS

Justin said:
BLAZN BOSS said:
if that quote was true then chevy would be far ahead of us....lol
LOL. true, but they arent considered in any of my conversations unless less the subject matter is JUNK.

Justin

LindsayEOD said:
Justin said:
LindsayEOD said:
Justin said:
LindsayEOD said:

You are also forgetting the fact of the MT82. It is going to have some serious issues with all that power. Why do you think the fastest coyotes are running autos? The Tremec can handle that power well. The Getrag is eventually going to fail. The Roadrunner is quite possibly one of the best engines an American auto maker has made, but we are comparing a Boss to a GT500 which is the whole vehicle.
oh agreed but if you want to get real serious about drag racing the trans would have to go in favor a built automatic.

Justin

BLAZN BOSS said:
Justin said:
BLAZN BOSS said:
if that quote was true then chevy would be far ahead of us....lol
LOL. true, but they arent considered in any of my conversations unless less the subject matter is JUNK.
that is just a quote burned in my mind coming from there camp...has been for years in my neck of the woods.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel