The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Serious advice between a gt500 and Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have the major software upgrade from around February? 3 of my siblings have Explorers with Sync and it went from being unusable to being usable but bulky with that upgrade.

CaliMR said:
Do you have the major software upgrade from around February? 3 of my siblings have Explorers with Sync and it went from being unusable to being usable but bulky with that upgrade.

I did not do any updates cause I read problems with them online. I may just take it back to my dealer and let them update it and make it right or they can give me a good tradein for a new one. everything on it seems to be good except when you use your phone then it just pisses you off pretty quick.

Theirs used to drop constantly, they don't anymore. Ford sent people a memory car to install it but it is a pita and buggy, have them do it next time you are there since it is free. It is a lot better now, but still annoying for some things.

The Sync on my 2013 isn't too bad. I had to pull the Sync fuse once because the indexing on the mp3 tags went wonky and it couldn't build the voice commands anymore. Besides that everything is peachy.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
no advice on sync from me, on to what you are looking into superchargers

It really comes down to a few things.

If you want a super bottom end hit of torque a positive displacement supercharger like
Kenne Bell
Roush
Whipple
etc
are all good choices
Of those I think the Kenne Bell has the most potential especially if you go with the 3.6L.
Whipple would be a great option too.

Centrifical superchargers will give you a linear boost curve it wont make full steam till near red line.
Of those I think the Paxton Novi 2200 is the best route it has the biggest potential without having to upgrade head units. A vortech or procharger base kit run out of steam around 13-15psi at best. Then you have to buy a upgraded unit.

If it was my choice I would go with the Paxton. JPC has one on one of his coyotes and its a beast.

I would go with a centrifical blower just so I could retain the boss intake. the black vortech kit would look great on a boss. I had a vortech S-Trim on my cobra years ago and it never let me down. The new ones are even better as you dont have to tap the oil pan any more for oil return. Also the centrifical superchargers will keep it feeling how the power comes on now....just loads more of it mid-redline

Also the centrifical superchargers will keep it feeling how the power comes on now....just loads more of it mid-redline

[/quote]

I keep reading the procharger being the best centrifical charger out? I do like the air being cooled before entering the engine.

Justin

jeepinocala said:
I keep reading the procharger being the best centrifical charger out? I do like the air being cooled before entering the engine.
They are are pretty much equal for base kits. The vortech, paxton and procharger are all air cooled before entering the engine now. I wouldnt mind having either one of those. IMO the vortech has the looks being in black, paxton has the biggest potential with the out of the box head unit and the procharger is going to be the easiest one to install.

The only concern I have with superchargers period is the side loading they induce on the front main bearing of the engine. the ones that have piggy back pullies to run them the higher the load there will be. Just something to consider.

I still would heavily conside a turbo kit. The hellion TT is very impressive. I am waiting to hear some real world feed back for fitment and running issues (there single kit had horrible fitment problems) before I would take the plunge on there turbo kit. Fastlane has a turbo kit out for the new mustangs as well I believe.

I cant believe there would be any issue with side loading of the front crank bearings I have never seen a side load problem on any engine but will look into it to be sure 100%.

Justin

jeepinocala said:
I cant believe there would be any issue with side loading of the front crank bearings I have never seen a side load problem on any engine but will look into it to be sure 100%.
its really not an issue at 8-10psi range its when you really start the pulley swaps and super belt tensioners

Justin said:
jeepinocala said:
its really not an issue at 8-10psi range its when you really start the pulley swaps and super belt tensioners

I have 100% plans on staying under 9psi really just want 8 no more not even in the future.

I remember saying that about 18...then 20...then 22... I think I was running 24 when I sold that car ;D

Of course that was a ricerocket motor, not one of these big beasts, but in the end everyone wants more. I would like to add some power to this car, it loses steam about 80 mph, but I also want to keep it to TTA rules.

Justin

CaliMR said:
I remember saying that about 18...then 20...then 22... I think I was running 24 when I sold that car ;D

Of course that was a ricerocket motor, not one of these big beasts, but in the end everyone wants more. I would like to add some power to this car, it loses steam about 80 mph, but I also want to keep it to TTA rules.
thats what I said when I first bought a blower for my cobra....10k motor later and double the boost later....

Well moving forward bought a dynotech driveshaft and searching now to order a relocation kit for the battery ;D

Lakewood battery relocation kit ordered it is a much nicer kit for sure ;D Two down ordering the driveshaft loop now.

MA
Not sure why you haven't made a move on my Procharger D1 kit yet?

You want power, and I got it at a great price. It is a Stage II with the best of everything. Was on my 2011 GT for a whopping 3k miles.

Either way, good luck. I'd seriously reconsider any PDB on the Boss. Many reasons, heat soak, traction and constant tire replacement, abuse on driveline parts, hard on a high compression motor ( even though 8 psi is 8 psi, making it at 2k rpm will generate a ton of cylinder pressure in an 11.0:1 car throughout the entire rpm range).

I had a 2007 GT500 making 696 rwhp and I'd take my lowly NA Boss any day of the week over that car. Night and day in feel and overall fun to drive.

TMO Supporting Vendors