The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sest headrest camera mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seat not sest. Damn it.

Hey all. What are the thoughts on this type of camera mount? Eventually i will have a rollbar, but how are these received in this community?

Examples:

http://a.co/iUmJKPK

http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/633251b.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Not sure if it will vibrate or not but maybe make sure your headrest is all the way down. Let us know how it works.

Back in the day when I had a corolla, I made my own using an aluminum L bracket with two U clamps attached to the headrest supports. I drilled holes through the L bracket to run the U clamps through. To minimize vibration and noise, I ran a hose over the U and stuck a piece of foam insulation tape on the bracket. So, there would be no metal to metal contact against the headrest supports. I also put the headrest all the way down, squeezing on the bracket to further minimize vibration.

Here are a few things based on my experience.
- If I were to do it again, I probably wouldn't build one, just for the safety concerns... the bar can puncture through your, or instructor's helmet, during a bad accident. If you run solo, place it on the driver seat.
- If you place it on the passenger seat, and there's no passenger, it will vibrate more.
- If I were to build one again, I'd use a square bracket instead of an L and a lighter camera adapter bracket to minimize vibration.

If you're set on buying one, and not building one, i'd get the one listed on the amazon site. Having two mounting points will make it more sturdy. Personally, I would not pay $70 for this... you can easily make one for around $20-$40.

I don't have a picture of mine, but it's very similar to the one below. If you google search "DIY headrest camera mount" you'll get alot of examples.
anjsl05p.0qp.jpg

Here's an example video of my mount placed on the passenger seat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2_Z4YtZ9Fw

If you have a gopro, slap one of their sticky adapters on your helmet and call it a day!

F.D. Sako said:
Back in the day when I had a corolla, I made my own using an aluminum L bracket with two U clamps attached to the headrest supports. I drilled holes through the L bracket to run the U clamps through. To minimize vibration and noise, I ran a hose over the U and stuck a piece of foam insulation tape on the bracket. So, there would be no metal to metal contact against the headrest supports. I also put the headrest all the way down, squeezing on the bracket to further minimize vibration.

Here are a few things based on my experience.
- If I were to do it again, I probably wouldn't build one, just for the safety concerns... the bar can puncture through your, or instructor's helmet, during a bad accident. If you run solo, place it on the driver seat.
- If you place it on the passenger seat, and there's no passenger, it will vibrate more.
- If I were to build one again, I'd use a square bracket instead of an L and a lighter camera adapter bracket to minimize vibration.

If you're set on buying one, and not building one, i'd get the one listed on the amazon site. Having two mounting points will make it more sturdy. Personally, I would not pay $70 for this... you can easily make one for around $20-$40 easy.

I don't have a picture of mine, but it's very similar to the one below. If you google search "DIY headrest camera mount" you'll get alot of examples.
anjsl05p.0qp.jpg

Here's an example video of my mount placed on the passenger seat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2_Z4YtZ9Fw

If you have a gopro, slap one of they sticky adapters on your helmet and call it a day!

Yeah at least for a little bit, i will be with an instructor, so i was concerned about safety. I will have a go-pro here shortly so i thought about the helmet mount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DEye

You can't get there from here...
I had made one out of two pieces that I screwed together to sandwich the head rest bars, redneck but functional.
The thing with the helmet Cam is that some video looks like it was taken by a Bobble Head ::)
Case in point that M2 video... iMHO

Don

DEye said:
The thing with the helmet Cam is that some video looks like it was taken by a Bobble Head ::)
Case in point that M2 video... iMHO

Don

If you move your head alot, then yes! ;D

strengthrehab said:
My greater question is will the seat mount be safe

There is definitely a certain safety risk. It's up to you, your instructor, and the organization if you're willing to accept it. If you get the amazon one, I guess you can tilt the mount back a little to be out of the way.

I also realized I meant to say the MMR mount, instead of the amazon one in my previous post when discussing sturdiness.

I have an MMR mount and it works great. The video doesn't vibrate or move around at all. With that said I put it on the drivers seat pointed away from me and won't use it if there's someone on the passenger seat. Here's a sample.

https://vimeo.com/196382162

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
GoPro makes (used to?) a mount that works with the headrest post on my GT. The parts are short/rounded, and that mount will rotate, not likely impale on impact. Also uses a rubber grommet/isolator. Works pretty well IMO.

Can't seem to find it now...

I wouldn't use anything like shown in the first post.

A guy I know through HoD rigged up a headrest mount with PVC and has it zip tied to the headrest. The video quality isn't too bad:
https://youtu.be/v-9Mt7jcLrw
I can take some pictures of the setup the next time I see him if you'd like, but that's probably not until next month.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
I made one out of 1" PVC and a couple U bolts for $10. Painted it metallic silver and it looks much better that way. Then I use the handlebar/roll cage mount on that. Vibration is very minor and you get a good centered view of the cabin. Still a good idea to tether it somewhere in the back of the car just in case.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
strengthrehab said:
Yeah i wondered if it was "safe" with a passenger/instructor

While strapped in, if you or your passenger can touch it with your hand, then no, in my opinion it is not safe if it is a long metal object with an open end. In a roll (and not that I ever plan to roll) arms go literally everywhere. You don't want an impalement hazard anywhere within reach. Again, just my opinion. Not worth the risk.

I use this one from GoPro with the rubber grommet. Moves if you whack it.
GoPro_GRH30_Ride_HERO_1383145695000_582930.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582930-REG/GoPro_GRH30_Ride_HERO.html/pageID/accessory

TMO Supporting Vendors