The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Settings for shocks and EPAS for street use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermont
I expect to pick up my new '13 Boss pretty soon and wondered if any fellow members on this site could share experiences and/or recommendations for the adjustable shock settings and electric power steering assist settings for street use. No question I'll experiment myself to find out and these may be a matter of personal preference but any experiences you can share would be welcome. BTW, I have manual steering on my '70 Boss 302, which at first I didn't like, but it's grown on me, as long as I'm not parallel parking the car! Thanks.

4/4 and sport steering. IMO sport is still too soft. 5/5 is what I usually use, but I avoid areas with bad surfaces. 5 rear is fun because it jinks around a bit but is probably too stiff so I am going to experiment with 5/4. I figure, I didn't buy the car to go to sleep driving it ;D but if you DD or use it on bad roads then you should turn it down a bit. And the baffles out, TK in.

Vermont
CaliMR said:
4/4 and sport steering. IMO sport is still too soft. 5/5 is what I usually use, but I avoid areas with bad surfaces. 5 rear is fun because it jinks around a bit but is probably too stiff so I am going to experiment with 5/4. I figure, I didn't buy the car to go to sleep driving it ;D but if you DD or use it on bad roads then you should turn it down a bit. And the baffles out, TK in.

CaliMR - thanks. And baffles out for sure, at least have to find out how it sounds. Did order the track key/firmware. So many things to play with on this car, can't wait. And Track attack Sept 26.

Just play around with it. I went from stock 2/2 to 3/3 to 4/4 to 5/5, 5/5 was for a track day. At my local track, at 5/5 the front is under damped and rear is over damped. I had a race mechanic with me, whom my friend has tuning his setup, and he suggested 5/4 from my tire wings and from a ride along. 5/4 felt odd, but track temps were in the 50s so I was having trouble with grip from the OEM tires anyways. On the street, any setting was fine but I just like the feel of the stiffer settings. This car at any setting has more grip and better handling than you will ever need on the street unless you are doing something really, really stupid ;D

Like most things it a compromise. I ran 2/2 Sport for many months. I currently running 4/3 sport. Its a little bouncy but feels better when you drive aggressive. I have run 1/1 on a really ruff Interstate also. It nice to have the option.

What's the fastest way you guys found for changing settings on the rear shocks? I removed the lining that covered the would be spare, climbed in and that was...claustrophobic.

TMO Supporting Vendors