The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Shadow Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have a feeling from your other posts that you might also have a second set of rims and tires for " The Shadow," as you mentioned it was in street garb in that picture. You have a lot of the things many need for track time , but wondering if you have installed a set of camber plates ( Vorshlag for instance ) to help with tire life ,turn in and more? Good to see you have the tried and true MGW short throw shift kit and out of curiosity where is the 1.6 mile track you run at -- obviously not Daytona, Sebring or Palm Beach International Raceway ha,ha. I know there is another track up near Jacksonville , but not sure how long it is?

Nice looking Boss , but then all of them are , right, ha??!!

FLGator

2013 Boss 302 LS #196 - Shadow
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Bill, the track is The FIRM (Florida International Rally and Motorsports Park). Located on an old WWII bomber training air field near Keystone Hights, Fl. This might be the one near Jacksonville you had in mind. The county is using two of the runways as part of Keystone Hights Airpark. The FIRM has the third runway. They have the road course, a go-kart track, an Off-Road course, a Rally course, and BIG fun skid pad

And, YES, they all do look good. 😁

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That is the place , as friends over in St. John's , Ponte Vedra Beach, Jacksonville , St. Augustine , etc. have mentioned going there and the minute you said Keystone Heights I remembered ----Heights in Florida is anything over 30 feet, ha,ha.

For some reason I thought the track was longer, there are plenty of tracks that length that can be super fun - Lime Rock or Gingerman are two good examples. There are probably autocross events conducted there also I would imagine?

FLGator

2013 Boss 302 LS #196 - Shadow
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Bill,

First, we do have a hill in Florida. Britton Hill is a staggering 345' ASL. I am sure you have heard of Florida's play on the Tail of the Dragon - "In Florida it's 318 miles and 11 turns!"

Yes, there are autocross events run at the FIRM. SCCA Buccaneer Region. The FIRM also has a lot of open track days through out the month.

And as for track days, while The FIRM is closer and less expensive, my new favorite track is Barber Motorsports Park in Leads, Alabama. Leads is just outside of Birmingham. Check out some of the YouTube videos. It is fun. 😁 For more info on BMP check this LINK. And they have a museum of motorcycles, cars, and I think one of the largest private collections of Lotus race cars. Forgot to mention that the Honda Indy Car Grand Prix of Alabama is run there. With real Indy cars, not pickups! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors