The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby Drive Shaft Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seca954 said:
Is the carbon driveshaft from the 2013 Shelby a direct replacement for the Boss? If it is, cost aside, wouldn't it be a better option than an aluminum drive shaft?
With a different transmission it's highly unlikely it's the same driveshaft. The linkages are almost certainly different. At least that's the case with putting a Tremec into the Boss.....requires new clutch and driveshaft to fit.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
What cloud9 said.

If you want a CF shaft for your Boss, the DriveShaftShop has them, but i couldn't justify the price/performance benefit over the 1 piece aluminum shaft. If money isn't a factor, by all means go for the CF shaft.

Coming from the sportbike world, my knowledge is somewhat limited on automobile CF but CF does typically degrade over time, especially if any heat source is nearby (UV light also causes degradation issues). I was very surprised to see that Ford chose CF for the driveshaft and maybe they have unlocked some secrets that will give it long-term strength and stability. I would stick to aluminum driveshafts for a fast, high hp car, though.

I would install a CF shaft over aluminum for the safety qualities in a collision or major failure.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Anyone ever hear of a 'major failure' of an aluminum driveshaft that is rated to 1000hp? How do you figure a CF shaft has a better safety factor than the AL shaft? I'm also interested on hearing about CF possibly degrading over time?

As I stated in my earlier post, I really don't have much knowledge of automotive grade CF but when it comes to motorcycles, I have a decent working knowledge of it's benefits and detriments. Most major sportbike exhaust manufacturers offer CF exhaust canisters and over time, they all (even the high-end Akrapovics and such) begin to yellow (which is typically the epoxy resin) and then become brittle. With some it can happen in literally just a few hundred miles (especially if the bike is running lean which subjects the CF to even higher temps), with others it can take years and/or many thousands of miles of use. The CF has gotten better over the last 15 years, but it is still not as durable as titanium or alloy. And if you want to see some truly scary stuff, Google "BST wheel failure" for pics of shattered motorcycle CF wheels.

NSFBOSS - I am curious about why you think CF would somehow be beneficial in an accident or with drivetrain failure? I fail to see how it would be any better - unless since CF shatters when it breaks that might be an advantage?

Every single Nissan 350z came stock with a CF driveshaft. How many failures have you heard of for them? I think the technology has progressed enough that failures are very few. I guess if I have one fail on me, I might think differently, but I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it. Just my two cents worth.

konablueeboss302 said:
NSFBOSS - I am curious about why you think CF would somehow be beneficial in an accident or with drivetrain failure? I fail to see how it would be any better - unless since CF shatters when it breaks that might be an advantage?
That's it. And frankly if it needs to be replaced every ten years then so be it. I'm not buying any aftermarket DS but if I did it would be CF. If it's good enough for the 302S and GT500 that's good enough for me.

A CF driveshaft is not going to have the same exposure to UV as wheels or exposed exhaust on a motorcycle.

SVO WOODY

Cruising Southern Ontario
Canada
I can get a decent deal on CF drive shaft DR3Z-4602-A which I believe is the GT500 and too was wondering if i can be adapted to fit our cars...Anyone with the knowledge here???

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
SVO WOODY said:
I can get a decent deal on CF drive shaft DR3Z-4602-A which I believe is the GT500 and too was wondering if i can be adapted to fit our cars...Anyone with the knowledge here???

Nope. It's covered in the first reply here.

TMO Supporting Vendors