The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby GT350 Build..."HAN SOLO"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Looking good. How many GT350R's are they making each year? I thought it was only 500?

BTW I saw another video from the same guy where's he's doing a big burnout in your car. Let me see if I can find it. ;)

Production for the R in 17 is 999 units. Unknown how many will get built for 18. But if you find that video I Want to see it. Could always use a second set of Cup 2 tires...

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
The time is drawing nearer. The R is shipped and I am hoping to have it home by the end of the week. In order to prepare for the journey home I invested in some temporary PPF to prevent any damage from road hazards. Through some research I found positive/inconclusive reviews about both of the leading products Xpel Tracwrap and Trakk Tape. Since I plan to use a lot of it I went ahead and ordered both for experimentation purposes. I will report back on what I find after the drive home

DSC_0962.jpg

During the two months I haven't had a car I have been planning/plotting what I will do with the R. I have acquired a few items to start, and have a few more on order. Here is what I have.....

GT350R Floor Mats. So far impressed with the quality, but curious to see how they hold up over time.

DSC_0956.jpg

OPT7 LED sequential front turn signals. Excited about these

DSC_0957.jpg

Steeda clutch spring, jacking rails, and G-Trac bar.

DSC_0960.jpg
DSC_0971.jpg

ZL1 Addons titanium lug nuts, titanium tow hook, and rock splash guards

DSC_0964.jpg
DSC_0966.jpg

S550 Carbon carbon fiber trunk lid panel, hood vent, and fender vents. I have a spare GT350 Emblem I will finish in red and test out to see how it looks on the carbon fiber panel.

DSC_0968.jpg
DSC_0970_2.jpg
DSC_0770.jpg
DSC_0776.jpg

Sweet. Are you at Track Attack already?

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
I'd use Super Sports for fall/winter. Best tire I've used in the wet/cold. Unless you mean for the mountains and snow?
These are for the winter/fall here in Cali. I meant that I need to decide what wheel profile I want to run for the winter as I will be keeping the CF setup "on ice" when it gets cold
Damn that looks good in LB. Can't wait to see some pics of it all cleaned up!
I can't wait either. Hopefully today is the day

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Finally on the long road home with the R. Got it all Covered with trakktape and tracwrap . Took about 2 hours. If you are looking for an MSRP deal on a Raptor, RS, GT350 hit up Tony Komadina at Sanderson Ford in AZ. Tell him Terrance referred you. He has a few in stock RS and Raptors that they are looking to move. Sorry guys, no other R models available for 17/18. Thanks again Tony and Sanderson Ford AZ!!..

IMG_1246.JPG

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
The Drive
Here is how the car looked when I first laid eyes on it. Dealer did a great job installing the splitter and removing the spring spacers. Made the process super easy. The drive home from Arizona was about 700 miles. Gave me a chance to get very intimate with the car. I have driven an R on track, but never on the street.

DSC_0955.jpg

I have to say that the R and the "standard" GT350 are two totally different vehicles. Although on paper the number of parts that separate them are not extensive, the whole package is greater than the sum of its parts. The car is more responsive, steering feels like it provides more feedback, and the turn in is much greater. After all the work I did to my last car it didn't feel like this one did. Definitely lighter and everything is more exaggerated. Oddly enough the interior is quieter, and the audio is WAY better. The shaker system and extra mid speakers in the door make things way more enjoyable. On smooth roads the car is like riding on glass. Get to a rough patch and the bronco is definitely trying to buck you out of the seat. A totally fun car to drive, but I could see it beating you up pretty good if you have wide hips, a bad lower back, or rough roads.

Xpel Tracwrap, Trakk Tape, and ZL1 Addons Rock Guards

In order to protect the car on the way home I invested in the Xpel Tracwrap, Trakk Tape, and ZL1 Addons Rock Guards. Both of the temporary PPF films have their pluses and minuses. For the cost of the Xpel Tracwrap you do not get a lot of film. I only had enough to lay strips on the lower 1/4 of the hood. For the same price you get about triple the amount of Trakk Tape. However there was a distinct difference in the way the film's attached to the car. If you look at the photos you can see how smooth Xpel on the hood laid down, and the edges did not lift. The Xpel is definitely more tacky and easier to manage, with that it is also thinner than the Trakk Tape. The Trakk Tape had a tendency to lift and the edges did not stay down as well. By the time I got home I had to stop several time to cut off pieces that were flapping. It provides more protection since it is thicker, but the sacrifice is that it is not as forgiving if you do not lay it down smooth and flat. The Xpel definitely handles the curves of the car better. Overall each product will get the job done, but the Xpel will lay down smoother and last longer. However, you will need to buy about 3 rolls of the Xpel to equal the amount of coverage you can get with 1 roll of Trakk Tape.
Installation of the Rock Guards was simple and definitely kept the doors and rear quarter panels safe. A MUST for these cars, and they manage to stay hidden.

DSC_0958.jpg
DSC_0957.jpg
DSC_0956.jpg

ZL1 Addons Titanium Lug Nuts
Installed these along with the factory locking nuts. I like that they are about the same length as the factory lock, and match up very well. They are definitely lighter than the stock lug nuts, but I need to find a small scale to weigh them.

DSC_0977.jpg
DSC_0975.jpg

LLoyds GT350R Floor/Trunk Liner
Ordered these from Mustang Depot. They are pretty straight forward in regard to install. The trunk liner replaces the factory piece and attaches with the same style of hardware. It requires you use some Velcro strips to keep the edges nice and snug. I picked up a few extra squares of Velcro from the local hardware store to keep the green trunk release and edges nice and snug.

DSC_0961.jpg
DSC_0960.jpg
DSC_0959.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel