The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby GT350 Build..."HAN SOLO"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Well I am tired of living in fear of scraping my CF front splitter so I ordered these splitter guard protectors from ZL1 addons. Instructions are to screw them into the bottom of the splitter after drilling a small hole. That also makes me nervous so I was thinking to attach them with 3M double sided tape.

Thoughts?

image_69.jpg

Drilling a few holes isn't going to hurt it any. Not sure how well they will stay put though.

Loose the screw kit. Just stack 2 or 3 steel washers painted black and call it a day if you must.
First off you will hear the washers scraping and can be used for many scrapes if required.
$34 for the kit and $27 to ship. $61.00 buys a hell of a lot of washers.
If it was me... I would do none of the above. Chances are, if you are that close to the ground there's not to much you can do at that point. By adding anything under the splitter you already lowered the clearance. I would get to know the car and what you can pass over safely. But that's me. I run the LS splitter on my car and have never had a problem. That's because I know where and where not the car can pass safely. Sometimes its beyond your control, and this kit will not make much of a difference if you run into this problem.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
superhero said:
Loose the screw kit. Just stack 2 or 3 steel washers painted black and call it a day if you must.
First off you will hear the washers scraping and can be used for many scrapes if required.
$34 for the kit and $27 to ship. $61.00 buys a hell of a lot of washers.
If it was me... I would do none of the above. Chances are, if you are that close to the ground there's not to much you can do at that point. By adding anything under the splitter you already lowered the clearance. I would get to know the car and what you can pass over safely. But that's me. I run the LS splitter on my car and have never had a problem. That's because I know where and where not the car can pass safely. Sometimes its beyond your control, and this kit will not make much of a difference if you run into this problem.

Good points. For the most part i can clear any speed bump straight on, and most driveways with a slight angle. Lately all these rotating cars/coffee events have unpredictable parking lots. With the washers I still have to drill a hole, but at least with these the head of the screw is recessed so it won't be hitting hit on the ground and become hard to remove if ground down

TMSBOSS said:
Can you simply remove the supplied screws and place the guards I the screws currently securing the splitter to the car?
Unfotunately no. All the supplied attachment points are recessed into the splitter.

voodoo child21 said:
I like the product idea but I just went on the website and cheapest shipping was $27 for $34 bag of screws and washers. Anyone got them shipped cheaper or coupon code?
I bought these from Amazon. Shipping was only 10. I think the total cost was 50-60 bucks

VoodooBOSS said:
Drilling a few holes isn't going to hurt it any. Not sure how well they will stay put though.
True. I am concerned that it would pop off without the screw. The under side of the splitter should be fine with a hole drilled. Looks like I'm just gonna say screw it and screw it

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I run the OEM 2012 LS Splitter on the street but after a light touch or two you learn very quickly what is and is not possible.

You could always mount a live feed camera up front. (OEM Reverse Camera accessory kit, camera mounted forward).

2HP

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Well I decided to tackle adding the ZL1 add ons Splitter Guard Washers. These are designed for the ZL1/Z06 cars, but I thought they would work on our car as well and decided to give them a shot. I had given the splitter a couple minor scratches already and want it to last.

Initially I was dreading the install and drilling into the Carbon2Carbon R front splitter. With most DIY projects I expected it to take forever having to measure and mark out places to strategically place the washers, but once the car was up in the air I was pleasantly surprised

I heard the Carbon2Carbon products were a direct copy of the OEM molds, but I was never sure of that. When I got under the car I noticed that the factory locations where the OEM R splitter would normally have riveted washers was still there! These little nubs made it easy to reuse as drill locations for the new washers. The only down side was the kit comes with 15 washers, and you need 17 total to use in all the factory locations. Kudos to Carbon2Carbon for definitely having OEM quality parts.

DSC_0519.jpg

15 minutes later I had the holes drilled and the washers fastened. Hardest part of the whole ordeal was getting the car on and off of the Race Ramps now that the R splitter affects the ground clearance angle.

[DSC_0521.jpg

I would say the ZL1 addons washers are worth the investment and the countersunk head makes sure your screws don't get jacked if you happen to kiss the pavement. If you order them go through Amazon for cheaper shipping, or call them direct to try and order the extra needed washers.

DSC_0522.jpg

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Alright boys. Here is the full photoshoot from yesterday. Or at lest all that i am willing to edit at the moment. Please leave feedback on some editing tips or things yay see that are good/bad. Planning to keep this up and shoot some other cars as well. I played with different effects on the camera and iPhoto. Still need to learn the camera for sure. Shot with a Nikon D3300

Fell free to edit a photo and repost to show the differences or changes you would make

Shelby%20Rolling.jpgPeekaboo.jpg
Shelby%20Sunset.jpg
Shelby%20Driver%20Quarter.jpgStop%20Shelby.jpg
BampW%20GT350.jpgShelby%20Front%20Quarter.jpg
GT350%20Dreaming.jpgColor%20Select%20GT350.jpg

Car looks great and the pictures are very nice! Personal preference, but one think I don't like is the blurred background on the second to the last picture. I assume you blurred this yourself in your photo editor app? Depending on the lens you are using, you can typically set the camera to focus on the car and "naturally" make the background blurry...but again, that's just my opinion. Other than that, pictures came out great and the colors are very clear.

50Deep said:
Alright boys. Here is the full photoshoot from yesterday. Or at lest all that i am willing to edit at the moment. Please leave feedback on some editing tips or things yay see that are good/bad. Planning to keep this up and shoot some other cars as well. I played with different effects on the camera and iPhoto. Still need to learn the camera for sure. Shot with a Nikon D3300

Fell free to edit a photo and repost to show the differences or changes you would make
Hey I recognize that building. ;)

Peekaboo.jpg

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Sydewaysix said:
Car looks great and the pictures are very nice! Personal preference, but one think I don't like is the blurred background on the second to the last picture. I assume you blurred this yourself in your photo editor app? Depending on the lens you are using, you can typically set the camera to focus on the car and "naturally" make the background blurry...but again, that's just my opinion. Other than that, pictures came out great and the colors are very clear.

I will give that a shot actually. It was blurred using one of the effects on the camera. Doing it naturally with the focus would make it much cleaner

VoodooBOSS said:
Hey I recognize that building. ;)

Peekaboo.jpg
Next time you have to show up so security won't be hounding me

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel