The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby GT350 Build..."HAN SOLO"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Voodooboss called me out about why I hadn't posted my build thread here. Loving the site and learned lots of good info. Some real knowledgeable and connected people here. Anyway let's get to it.......

Looks like Han Solo is not dead, and the Force is strong with this one. Finally took delivery of my 2016 SHelby GT350 with 6 miles on the ticker. Got it from Elk Grove Ford and was an awesome experience. Had it out for the first time at cars & coffee. Then took it up to AED to throw it on the Dyno. Great day overall and the car was well received. I'm if you have the opportunity to buy one, i suggest you do so and don't wait. Totally worth the money. Anyway, onto some pics/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmGLySlidrw&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmGLySlidrw&feature=youtu.be

DSC_0083.jpg
DSC_0093_2.jpg
DSC_0091.jpgDSC_0083.jpgDSC_0090.jpg
DSC_0062.jpgDSC_0061.jpg
DSC_0081.jpgDSC_0080.pngDSC_0068.pngDSC_0074_2.jpgDSC_0070.pngDSC_0064.jpgDSC_0067.pngDSC_0060.pngDSC_0063.jpgDSC_0057.pngDSC_0056_2.png

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
First round of mods came in

-Redline quick lift hood struts
-Craig's custom license plate bracket
-LED interior/exterior light upgrade
-Steeda 35# clutch helper spring

d15f114506fc2d728c7d2498511dd61e.jpg

Next up is the clear bra, track pack spoiler, Ford Performance oil separators, and R spec wheels....

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Got all the parts on today. Took about 2 hours total. Pretty easy installs with great benefits. Will share some thoughts on each and pics/vids where i have them

Steeda Clutch Helper Spring: Took about 10 minutes to install total. Would have been faster had i done it before. Real straight forward process, but I think our cars have a second helper spring that the normal S550 cars don't have. I couldn't find a picture of it online, but you will see once you get in there. The results of the upgrade are great. I have much better feel for where the clutch engages, and still have the assist with a light clutch pedal. Also no rattle or play in the pedal. I recommend it, would buy it again, and its $10 well spent.

Redline Hood Struts: This install took about 15 minutes total. The little struts hold the hood well and will raise the hood on their own once you are about half way up. Install is super easy and worth the money. would post a picture, but you have all seen them. I sprung for the upgraded set and would buy again.

DSC_0126.jpgDSC_0128.jpgDSC_0123.jpg

Diode Dynamics LED Interior Lights: These little puppies changed the lighting of the interior dramatically. Everything is way bright now and the cool white is awesome. I ended up unscrewing and taking off the sun visor mirror to get at the vanity bulbs. You can spend 15 minutes trying to fish out the little vanity bulbs, then another 10 trying to finesse the new ones in. Or spend 5 minutes unscrewing and popping off the mirror plate to make it much easier. Here are some after pics. This is just LED lighting, no camera flash. I would by again.

DSC_0119.jpgDSC_0120.jpgDSC_0122.jpg

Diode Dynamics Reverse Light: I went for the upgraded model. Install took about 15 minutes. Way easier than the video i saw on CJ Pony Parts as they took too many steps. I just unbolted the 2 13mm screws, removed the 6 or so push pins, and removed the 2 larger push pins. The cover drops down in the rear enough for you to easily change the bulb without removing the front two bolts on the cover, or putting the car up in the air. You may have a little tighter space if you have the diff cooler. I would buy it again for sure. Here is a video of the reverse light and an exhaust clip.

https://youtu.be/j3O9wn5H0FU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3O9wn5H0FU

Diode Dynamics Switchback Turn Signals: These lights were a little expensive but they turned out fantastic. The passenger side was easy enough to change since you can reach down through the opening behind the bumper. Driver side will require removing a few clips on the splash guard and wiggling past one of the coolers. Turn the wheel to the right for more clearance. I opted for amber LED parking lamps from Superbrightleds.com, instead of the cool white Diode offers. You still get the look of a clear housing, but i like having some amber lighting to the front. Here is a video of them operating. I would buy these again as well

https://youtu.be/6PwbNpV0jEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PwbNpV0jEI

Next round of mods soon to come

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Today was a good day. Got a decent license plate frame to put on the car...
DSC_0139.jpg

Then I got some pictures from my dealer showing what just came in today..... Shut Yo Mouth!!
1353e89802396c42bddc47b75887d90b.jpgaeff81d3745eea7e0e85c7211f9695c5.jpg6f4ffefc9fdf7b042d869740907bb92a.jpg

Looks like the Track Pack spoiler to me :ford:

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Now you guys are all caught up. Car is getting the clear bra installed from the A Pillar forward and should be back Saturday morning. Not in time for the local cars and coffee, but at least I can make Eurosunday

Will post up more when the car gets back in my garage

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looks great, dude.

I see you added the "R" stripes and wheel. Did you get the stripe kit from Bigworm or are they OEM?

With the R-Spec wheels coming in, surprised you didn't opt for the R spoiler and the R splitter.

I'm looking for a '17 now and thinking same color scheme, was thinking same direction on stripes and wheel as well :)

Keep us updated!

Nice work so far, I have a similar line of mods on the way, same color combo and they will be near twins once you add the TP spoiler.

I had not considered the red pin-striping, but might go well with the red GT350R calipers that I have coming shortly.

Looking good, thanks for the update. I'm hoping to install my red R calipers this weekend and have already installed the R wheel. I won't make it to EuroSunday but I might be out at C&C Folsom the following week. You'll easily be able to identify my GT350. ;)

Drew the R wing and splitter are crazy expensive so unless they come down in price they won't be going on my car.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
fuhrius said:
looks good. sorta random question: the shelby bag in your trunk...is that for the car cover / did it come with it? mine didn't come with a bag.
Yes the bag is for the car cover. It is actually sewn into the car cover so it cannot be removed. It is weird that your cover would be different. Maybe it's an R thing ?
VoodooBOSS said:
Looking good, thanks for the update. I'm hoping to install my red R calipers this weekend and have already installed the R wheel. I won't make it to EuroSunday but I might be out at C&C Folsom the following week. You'll easily be able to identify my GT350. ;)

Drew the R wing and splitter are crazy expensive so unless they come down in price they won't be going on my car.
Did you order OEM R wheels? That's baller if you did. I am sure I will see you up there. Someone sent me pics of a red/white stripe car the weekend after I went. I am guessing that was yours?

krt22 said:
Nice work so far, I have a similar line of mods on the way, same color combo and they will be near twins once you add the TP spoiler.

I had not considered the red pin-striping, but might go well with the red GT350R calipers that I have coming shortly.

Sounds like my mods are on track if other guys are doing them also. I am really torn about the R calipers. It's a great deal for the price and looks, but i feel like everyone will have them. Don't know how I am going to satisfy my need to customize them quite yet.

50Deep said:
Yes the bag is for the car cover. It is actually sewn into the car cover so it cannot be removed. It is weird that your cover would be different. Maybe it's an R thing ?

that could be since I haven't opened it up yet. ;-)

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Got the car back from Elk Grove Ford. They took care of all the rock chips and the paint booger on the hood no questions asked, or cost to me. Really glad I bought the car there.

Genesis tint in Elk Grove sent me a few pics of the progress for the clear bra install. Can't wait to pick it up in the morning!!
image_4.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_7.jpg

In other news my Fathers Day gift from last year finally arrived. Looking forward to hear helping with he first oil change when I hit 500 miles.

image_6.jpg

Took this as a little momento the other day. And yes, the gas light comes on at a quarter tank. That gas guzzler tax is there for a reason

image_8.jpg

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
ArizonaBOSS said:
Clearbra is one of the best investments you can make on your car.

Got the car back from the clear bra install at Genesis. Came out real seamless. I had them wrap the car from the A-pillar forward, edges of the doors, and a little something extra on the mirrors. Came out to about 1800 total, but now i do not hesitate on driving the car. The clear bra really made the stripes POP!! If you are in the greater sacrament area I would recommend them.

DSC_0162.jpg
DSC_0161.jpg

Then I took the car out to Euro Sunday. I had the only one out there and it was a hit. Wish I could have taken the afternoon drive, but had to get back to some family stuff. Had the chance to meet up with one of the guys who organizes the Hooked on Driving events. Looking forward to getting out with that group. Here are few pics from that event.

DSC_0142.jpg
DSC_0144.jpg
DSC_0143.jpgDSC_0141.jpg
DSC_0140.jpg
DSC_0146.jpgDSC_0148.jpgDSC_0147.jpgDSC_0150.jpgDSC_0149.jpg
DSC_0152.jpg
DSC_0151.jpg
DSC_0145.jpg

Now just waiting for the spoiler and oil separators to arrive. Wheels should be here at some point before the Knotts show. Then still need to decide what to do about the brake calipers. That will probably wrap it up for modifications, then just focus on driving and paying off this bad boy.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
50 Deep:

Your GT350 looks great and you're right, those hood stripes do pop. The Euro-Sunday car show looks like a must attend event, and great pic of the 2 GT350's together.

Good luck with your new car,

302 Hi Pro

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
302 Hi Pro said:
50 Deep:

Your GT350 looks great and you're right, those hood stripes do pop. The Euro-Sunday car show looks like a must attend event, and great pic of the 2 GT350's together.

Good luck with your new car,

302 Hi Pro

Thanks brother. I definitely need to get some more pics with Bruce's GT350. The original and mine would be a good photoshoot

The spoiler came in today with the oil separators and coolant tank cover. Looks like the spoiler is all prepared and ready to install from Ford. It even comes with a template for the install if your trunk lid does not have holes.

DSC_0054_1.jpgDSC_0049_1.jpgDSC_0052_1.jpgDSC_0064_1.jpgDSC_0051_1.jpgDSC_0050_1.jpg

I also got the oil separators and coolant expansion tank on today. Both the oil separators installed fairly easy. About 45 minutes total for everything. Here is a before shot.

DSC_0060_1.jpg

For the passenger side separator the moving of the wires is super simple. It literally involves pushing them over a few inches to install the tabs, then that is it. The passenger side loom clips back into the separator bracket. For both separators i would advise getting all the tubes connected first, then lock down the separator. The instructions recommend you mount the separator first, then do the connections. I found it harder to get the connections in place with the separators installed, and had to loosen them back up.

The tank cover was pretty easy to install also and does clean up the engine bay a lot. The quality of the plastic is not quite what i expected for the price, but it does serve its purpose. For the install I can see the plastic needs to be a little pliable.

DSC_0061_1.jpg

The driver side is super easy also. These slip fittings on the tubes are a sinch. The driver side recommends trimming the sound deadening on one of the push pin tabs on the shock tower. I just reused the plastic push pin that originally came out since it was longer. If i need to at some point it will lightly trim the sound deadening and install the new one. The amount you need to trim is only a few mm at most.

DSC_0062_1.jpg

I should have the spoiler installed Wednesday or Thursday depending on my time after work.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Track Pack Spoiler is on

DSC_0067_1.jpgDSC_0069_1.jpgDSC_0066.jpgDSC_0068_1.jpg

While driving home I had some goober behind me in a cutlass honking his horn and rolling his hands like he wanted me to spin the tires. I guess it is the new spoiler. People riding behind me with their phones out taking pics/videos. Another good day for the Shelby. Hope this info was helpful. I do not do many write ups so those of you with better ideas or specifics feel free to add them. Or if you have a better way of doing it.

Looks like the only other mods to go are the wheels and brake calipers

TMO Supporting Vendors