The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby GT350, Mach 1 to return to Mustang line up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
http://www.leftlanenews.com/shelby-gt350-mach-1-to-return-to-mustang-lineup.html#

By Drew Johnson

Wednesday, Jun 19th, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

Two storied nameplates will reportedly return to the Mustang lineup following the pony car's redesign for the 2015 model year.

Previous reports have indicated that Ford could ditch the Shelby GT500 name for its next-generation Mustang flagship, but the Shelby badge might not be taking a complete leave of absence. According to fan site Mustangs Daily, Ford is planning to introduce a new Shelby GT350 model one year after the revised Mustang bows.

Not much is known about the 2016 Shelby GT350, but it rumored to be a back-to-basics performance car like the 1960s original.

Shelby American currently offers a GT350 version of the Mustang, but the next-generation car will be a factory offering from Ford and not a post-title tuner.

In addition to the Shelby GT350, Ford will also reportedly bring back the Mach 1 for the 2017 model year. Last seen in dealer showrooms in 2004, the new Mach 1 will likely build on the Mustang GT, adding performance bits like a track-tuned suspension and up-rated brakes. We'd also put our money on a shaker hood.

Look for Ford's all-new Mustang to break cover sometime next year.
Read more at http://www.leftlanenews.com/shelby-gt350-mach-1-to-return-to-mustang-lineup.html#7xRwDAFdWW7gHb2X.99

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Based on the brief description, the 2016 GT350 appears to be the spiritual successor to the 2012-13 Boss.

The era of over the top cars like the supercharged 662 HP GT500 Mustang may be over for a while...

four-walling said:
Based on the brief description, the 2016 GT350 appears to be the spiritual successor to the 2012-13 Boss.

The era of over the top cars like the supercharged 662 HP GT500 Mustang may be over for a while...

Given that the new EU pedestrian safety regs won't allow sufficient under hood space for a supercharger (that's what I've read) the 2013-14 GT500 could prove to be the muscle car highwater mark.

Number23 said:
Given that the new EU pedestrian safety regs won't allow sufficient under hood space for a supercharger (that's what I've read) the 2013-14 GT500 could prove to be the muscle car highwater mark.

Or, not saying it will happen but... You could see a larger version of the 500 horse 302, say a 351 with the 302 technology in it making 600+ N/A horsepower.
Ford opened the door with the 302, it makes unheard of power for it's size, they may have a few surprises left up their sleeves yet.

We can only wait and see, I still feel like a kid in a candy store every time I look at what the big 3 are doing.

NewBossowner said:
Or, not saying it will happen but... You could see a larger version of the 500 horse 302, say a 351 with the 302 technology in it making 600+ N/A horsepower.
Ford opened the door with the 302, it makes unheard of power for it's size, they may have a few surprises left up their sleeves yet.

We can only wait and see, I still feel like a kid in a candy store every time I look at what the big 3 are doing.

That means it would have a higher specific output than a Boss 302. It's not likely Ford is going to squeeze out over 100hp/Liter.

four-walling said:
The rotors are almost the same diameter front and rear unlike our Boss rotors that have a big disparity in size front to rear.

I don't know what prototype you saw, but the rotors in the front are quite a bit bigger than the rear.

Untitled_zps120a4a4f.jpg

Zquez said:
I don't know what prototype you saw, but the rotors in the front are quite a bit bigger than the rear.
But those rears appear to be larger than the ones mounted on our cars. That car also has four piston front calipers that look like the Brembos but painted a different color.

NFSBOSS said:
But those rears appear to be larger than the ones mounted on our cars. That car also has four piston front calipers that look like the Brembos but painted a different color.

This is true. It almost looks like a completely different caliper to me, although probably still brembo. The performance models aren't rumored to be in the initial lineup so for this being a base car, those brakes look fantastic. With the IRS now we will finally see multi-piston calipers on the rear too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mach 1 or GT350 had six piston fronts and four rears.

2015-Ford-Mustang-Prototype-wheel.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors