The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby gt350 track day prep?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, I just bought the gt350 month ago. I signed up for a track day event and I am wondering what kind of mods you guys did before taking the car to the track?

The mods I am planning to do is camber plate, alignment, oil and air separator. Other than that, any recommended mods? Not sure about if the stock brake system can manage all the heat. Do I need upgraded pads and fluids?

New to the platform and thx guys for answering!:)

Your onto a good start. The rest depends on your driving level and the track. If your fast enough the tires are going to be a weak link with repeated track sessions. Stock brakes are pretty good but better fluid may be needed, depending again on speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
What Kevin said. Depends on how hard you're going to go. First time out I took my car bone stock except for wheels and tires. I like to baseline things. I drove what I think was mostly 8/10s to a bit of 9/10ths near days' end and had zero issues with brakes or cooling in 20 minute sessions, this on a track that is known to be hard on brakes. It always seems that last 10% is going to create the most problem and adding 10 minutes to a session of fairly hard lapping will probably create heat issues. If your car is an R or a Track Pack heat should not be a problem. The GT PP cars are very capable cars, the GT350 more so and for short periods of time at less than full bore they don't need a lot, IMHO.

Your onto a good start. The rest depends on your driving level and the track. If your fast enough the tires are going to be a weak link with repeated track sessions. Stock brakes are pretty good but better fluid may be needed, depending again on speed

For the first time taking this car to track, I don’t think I have the confidence pushing the car to the limit. I am average speed driver or intermediate level. I just don’t want to cook my brake fluids lmao. Anyway, just to be safe, what brake fluid r u recommending?

What Kevin said. Depends on how hard you're going to go. First time out I took my car bone stock except for wheels and tires. I like to baseline things. I drove what I think was mostly 8/10s to a bit of 9/10ths near days' end and had zero issues with brakes or cooling in 20 minute sessions, this on a track that is known to be hard on brakes. It always seems that last 10% is going to create the most problem and adding 10 minutes to a session of fairly hard lapping will probably create heat issues. If your car is an R or a Track Pack heat should not be a problem. The GT PP cars are very capable cars, the GT350 more so and for short periods of time at less than full bore they don't need a lot, IMHO.
So basically, as long as you don’t push the car to its full limit (like 100% of its capability), you will have no issue on track. 80 90 percent will be fine. Is that what you mean? Correct me if I am wrong lol.

It’s a very good idea to baseline the car yourself; however, I don’t want my car to overheat also lmao. That’s why I am asking those questions.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Correct, that was my experience, with 20 minute sessions and a self imposed RPM limit 500 below redline, no dive bombing the corners, just concentrated on making smooth laps and gradually looking for the cornering force limit. That's my idea of 80-90%, and I had a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

Between sessions I read rotor temps with a heat gun as soon as I got out of the car, had a look at the engine, checked fluids, did tire temps and pressures, checked for leaks underneath, that type of thing. Car had a 40 minute cool down between sessions and it ran just fine all day.

Just keep an eye on the temps and oil pressure. My temps did not go above normal highway at all, nor did the oil pressure go below. The brakes were there 100% all day with no sign of fading, no weird noises and no super stink hot smells coming off them. HPDE is about having fun and enjoying your car, not about setting records, and you've got a great piece there for doing just that.

Having said all that though, the mods you mentioned are certainly worth doing and will be beneficial.

For the first time taking this car to track, I don’t think I have the confidence pushing the car to the limit. I am average speed driver or intermediate level. I just don’t want to cook my brake fluids lmao. Anyway, just to be safe, what brake fluid r u recommending?

When you do change the fluid I recommend Castrol SRF. Great stuff. Higher wet boiling point than other comparable ones which is important as your fluid really factors in the wet boiling area once it’s been in the car and exposed to moisture in the air. The stuff is all Ford Racing runs at their school.

Like others have said you've got most of it covered. I'd run the oil separators on both sides for track use. Although the drivers side doesn't collect nearly as much as the passenger side it still collects some. While the stock DOT 4 brake fluid is probably fine I'd flush it anyway and would do that with any car. I'd also add your favorite track brake pads and there are plenty of good options out there. Why trash the stock pads. While some will say the stock pads are fine if you're used to race pads swap them before you do a track day. I'd also look at sticky tires and lighter wheels. I see you're in Irvine, you should hook up with @Grant 302 as he'll have all your setup info.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
I would not touch a thing, except changing the oil. Get a baseline and then go from there, you are not going to have any over heating problems even if you push the car.

I am going to use the OP’s thread to piggy back off of regarding my concerns. I am planning for a track day soon and wanted to check in regarding a few things.

I will have the oil changed right before and have them look the car over to make sure the tires, brakes and fluids look good, and check to see if the oil pressure sensor is locked tight. I was planning on getting an alignment. I am not getting camber plates yet but was wondering how should I have them set the camber? Try to get as much negative camber as possible for the stock system?

Also for the first session, what should the tire pressure be set at for these tires? Early Nov so not hot at all but cooler temps (60-70’s) possible. Maybe even cooler.

I will bring extra oil, tools, jack and stands, extra fuel canister and tire pressure gauge. Of course my helmet and proper clothes. Anything else?

And the biggest one, how do guys that track your 350’s get the oil temps up to 200 for the first session? Do you guys let it idle for a while before you start your session run? I never push it on the street until it reaches 200 on the oil temp gauge. I think the car will stay warmer for the following sessions at the start anyways. It is ‘17 so it has all the goodies on it but no mods except for oil separators on both sides.

In the V6L
I am going to use the OP’s thread to piggy back off of regarding my concerns. I am planning for a track day soon and wanted to check in regarding a few things.

I will have the oil changed right before and have them look the car over to make sure the tires, brakes and fluids look good, and check to see if the oil pressure sensor is locked tight. I was planning on getting an alignment. I am not getting camber plates yet but was wondering how should I have them set the camber? Try to get as much negative camber as possible for the stock system?

Also for the first session, what should the tire pressure be set at for these tires? Early Nov so not hot at all but cooler temps (60-70’s) possible. Maybe even cooler.

I will bring extra oil, tools, jack and stands, extra fuel canister and tire pressure gauge. Of course my helmet and proper clothes. Anything else?

And the biggest one, how do guys that track your 350’s get the oil temps up to 200 for the first session? Do you guys let it idle for a while before you start your session run? I never push it on the street until it reaches 200 on the oil temp gauge. I think the car will stay warmer for the following sessions at the start anyways. It is ‘17 so it has all the goodies on it but no mods except for oil separators on both sides.
Here's how I'd approach it (having done this with mine back in 2016):

1. I will have the oil changed right before [Don't bother if the oil life monitor is over 50%]

2. have them look the car over to make sure the tires, brakes and fluids look good, and check to see if the oil pressure sensor is locked tight. [good idea]

3. getting an alignment ... how should I have them set the camber [for all practical purposes, front camber is not adjustable on the stock setup. For front toe and rear setup, use the Track Setup in the Owner's Supplement]

4. what should the tire pressure be set at for these tires? [start with 28psi cold and aim for 32 psi hot]

5. how do guys that track your 350’s get the oil temps up to 200 for the first session [there's a lot of other stuff to warm up like tires, trans, diff, so I take it easy and shift under 6K while I monitor the gauges. Once the oil's over 180 and tires get up over 30PSI everything is warm enough to go, and you won't spin because of cold tires]

1. I will have the oil changed right before [Don't bother if the oil life monitor is over 50%]

2. have them look the car over to make sure the tires, brakes and fluids look good, and check to see if the oil pressure sensor is locked tight. [good idea]

3. getting an alignment ... how should I have them set the camber [for all practical purposes, front camber is not adjustable on the stock setup. For front toe and rear setup, use the Track Setup in the Owner's Supplement]

4. what should the tire pressure be set at for these tires? [start with 28psi cold and aim for 32 psi hot]

5. how do guys that track your 350’s get the oil temps up to 200 for the first session [there's a lot of other stuff to warm up like tires, trans, diff, so I take it easy and shift under 6K while I monitor the gauges. Once the oil's over 180 and tires get up over 30PSI everything is warm enough to go, and you won't spin because of cold tires]

This is good ^^.

First lap out you shouldn't be trying to set a flying lap. Get a feel for the car, check the track for an hazards, look for the corner workers, put some heat into your tires and practice your lines.

I idle while I'm on grid, by the time you are done with your warm up lap it's probably going to be fine to twist it. With that said I still short shift until I want to set a fast lap. I probably shift around 7500rpm unless I need to run it out.

Oil will get up to 200 within a lap or two, even on cooler days. Thermostat is set to get the engine temps up to the 180s or more under just normal driving and oil temps run hotter than coolant. Warm it up for a few minutes before heading out. You will usually get a 5 minute call to grid and will be staging idling the car on the grid for a few minutes waiting to go out as well.

I purchased the car used and it did not come with the owner’s supplement and the owner’s manual does not have anything for track alignment settings. I am not 100% positive the manual is even for a Shelby GT350. It only listed the Ecoboost and Coyote 5.0 motors and what oil to use for them. Nothing is mentioned anywhere about the Voodoo engine. So would anyone provide a copy or link they could offer so I can get my 350 set up for the track properly?

In the V6L
I purchased the car used and it did not come with the owner’s supplement and the owner’s manual does not have anything for track alignment settings. I am not 100% positive the manual is even for a Shelby GT350. It only listed the Ecoboost and Coyote 5.0 motors and what oil to use for them. Nothing is mentioned anywhere about the Voodoo engine. So would anyone provide a copy or link they could offer so I can get my 350 set up for the track properly?
Page 45: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...lby-Supplement-version-2_su_EN-US_05_2018.pdf

The supplement manual gives all the 350 specifics but it doesn’t include the track settings. There was a additional sheet for that.
IMG_0025.jpgIMG_0133.jpg

In the V6L
The supplement manual gives all the 350 specifics but it doesn’t include the track settings...
As I was surprised to learn a while back, the track wheel alignment settings are in the 2018 Supplement, which is the one I linked to. They didn't include the tire pressures though, for some reason.

TMO Supporting Vendors