The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby GT500KR Axle Reservoir question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
I've had mine sitting here for a couple of weeks......wondering the same thing. I'm wondering if one serves as a vent for gases or increased pressure? Seems like the single hose in my kit would be long enough for one run to the diff.

Wayne

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
img_0157.jpg

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Found some instructions, found some photos.

Turns out, this replaces the plug in the passenger side axle tube. Second nipple stays open and vents to the atmosphere to allow fluid to drain back.
Seeing that both axle tubes are sealed and the Boss uses a vent on top of the center section, it may take some simple modifications to use this.

926-shelby-rear-axle-oil-reservoir-551428-r1-25-0a.jpg

drano38

Wayne
You can attach the hose to the top of your diff cover, or to the axle.
I went to the axle. Glad I did because I didn't need to move it when I added my Whiteline Watts link this spring.
Either way, make sure axle movement doesn't push the hose onto the exhaust.
Pete is also on the axle since he has a FRPP diff cover.
Guess you need to find some sort of vent for the curved pipe.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Installed my Shelby reservoir today.

Slightly different from above.

I have a FRPP diff cover/girdle which does not have the breather hole. The breather fitting on my axel is on the drivers side, opposite from the reservoir. Had to install a longer hose as well as a 90 degree 3/8" compression filling at the reservoir.

Surprised to find the axel was wet from gear oil.

Glad I installed the reservoir. Should eliminate the overflow issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors