The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby Performance Parts ISOClutch Remote Reservoir Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Want to get this installed before my next event at road America. My question is I am running endless 650 fluid. Will that work with this kit?

I did not know the clutch and brake fluid are shared.

Thank you!

Andy

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Replied in your original post, but will repost here in case they delete the orginal as requested. Also, completely agree with what @JAJ said on the fluids. I use Pentosin DOT 4 on the clutch side.

Before you install it, take a good look at the o-ring that seals the plastic reservoir to the aluminum body. There’s a grove machined into the aluminum for the o-ring to sit in. On mine, the grove wasn’t wide enough for the o-ring to fully seat, so when they installed the plastic reservoir, the sharp edge of the plastic damaged the o-ring and it would slowly leak fluid. Easy enough fix with a Dremel to widen that channel just enough for the o-ring to properly seat. Since it’s a machined part, I would suspect that the problem is common to all of them and wasn’t just a random flaw. Way easier to deal with now before you install than chasing a leak later.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Replied in your original post, but will repost here in case they delete the orginal as requested. Also, completely agree with what @JAJ said on the fluids. I use Pentosin DOT 4 on the clutch side.

Before you install it, take a good look at the o-ring that seals the plastic reservoir to the aluminum body. There’s a grove machined into the aluminum for the o-ring to sit in. On mine, the grove wasn’t wide enough for the o-ring to fully seat, so when they installed the plastic reservoir, the sharp edge of the plastic damaged the o-ring and it would slowly leak fluid. Easy enough fix with a Dremel to widen that channel just enough for the o-ring to properly seat. Since it’s a machined part, I would suspect that the problem is common to all of them and wasn’t just a random flaw. Way easier to deal with now before you install than chasing a leak later.
Yeah sorry I posted it in the wrong spot.

Was hoping to just keep the same fluid for convenience as I will already have some back up fluid around. Looks easy to install however my shop will do it. Dont trust myself with any brake stuff, just not worth it!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Yeah sorry I posted it in the wrong spot.

Was hoping to just keep the same fluid for convenience as I will already have some back up fluid around. Looks easy to install however my shop will do it. Dont trust myself with any brake stuff, just not worth it!
There will be no problem using the same fluid - it’s overkill for the clutch, but since it’s already in there might as well run it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin

There will be no problem using the same fluid - it’s overkill for the clutch, but since it’s already in there might as well run it.

Just read your build thread, that car you have is built!!! and dialed in! Nice work!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I remember reading several years ago that some believed that Shelby split the clutch from the brakes due to premature failure of the clutch slave cylinder caused by the use of the DOT 4 brake fluid. I have not seen any hard evidence to this and I ran Dot 4 in my car for several years before separating the clutch off due to heat issues. I had over 90,000 miles on my original slave cylinder and it was still working fine when my clutch failed. I use MotorCraft dot 3 fluid in the clutch reservoir since it is much cheaper than Castrol SRF and comes in smaller bottles. If I want to exchange clutch fluid I can buy a small container and not open a $60 bottle of SRF.

TMO Supporting Vendors