The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

She's smoking from the right bank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@TMSBOSS be safe out there and I hope it's nothing serious.

Breather can was almost dry.

Leaving on business for about a month. No time to tear into it now.

Any suggestions where to pickup a short block?

If your inspection finds a failure, I would recommend an Aluminator short block:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6009-A50NAA

Don Woods:
https://fordracingpartsbydonwood.co...LtIA7xPnCZ0mGx8R06en3xf6hfABW2g_RzhoCgDfw_wcB

Levittown Ford:
http://www.levittownfordparts.com/ford-racing-coyote-aluminator-short-block-p-5185.html

I would also call Tasca and AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake for pricing.

You also have the option of a Boss short block available from Ford Performance...

Then you don't have to worry about installing heads or anything. This is probably the fastest TV dinner solution...

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Guys, thanks for the assists and encouragement. Something you got to know, I actually get as much enjoyment out of working on cars as I do driving the boss. So, except for the financial down side, this ain't so bad.

I will be out of the house for the next month or so. When I come home, I'll do a dry compression test, wet compression test, inspect the plugs and scope the cylinders. If the block is toast, which I doubt, I'll go the aluminator route. If I have broken rings, I'll make the call of the aluminator or rebuild the original block....just bigger, stronger and of course faster.
When you add up the cost of HD Pistons, rings and oil pump the aluminator looks good. I could also then save the original boss block and rebuild to original specs.
Regardless, I'll look under her skirt and see what I see. Yes, I will peak and tell. More to follow.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Just stay away from MMR if you are in bad shape and have to go down the rebuild route. Aluminator short block from any good Ford retailer is highly recommended. Hopefully nothing serious.

Tracy, I hope it's something simple. Keep us updated.
Right side is where cyl. 8 is (unless, you have an x-pipe) which is known to overheat sometimes.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Buying a Scope to look at the cylinders.
Strange thing is she runs great, no noise, smooth as before. I wonder if I did not lift a head and blow a gasket?? Water temp at 240. No limp mode.
Regardless, she will be looked after and made stronger. Unfortunately, The Mustang Roundup is not looking like a possibility this year.

TMO Supporting Vendors