The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shift Ball Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For you guys who've replaced your shifters....

I used a strap wrench to loosen the shift ball, but it doesn't unscrew off the shaft. It will spin (its still pretty tight), but it's not coming off.

Thoughts...?

r/
Eric

You stripped the insert inside the plastic. Try pulling up on the knob.

When I removed mine with a strap wrench it came right off.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Eric said:
For you guys who've replaced your shifters....

I used a strap wrench to loosen the shift ball, but it doesn't unscrew off the shaft. It will spin (its still pretty tight), but it's not coming off.

Thoughts...?

r/
Eric

OUCH

Sounds like the plastic is slipping on the metal threaded portion.

If this is the case, you may be buying another knob. If so, a small pipe wrench or vise grip on the lower metal portion may be required.

You should be able to reassemble and use until a replacement arrives.

Retail for the knob is $50-70.

Several aftermarket options. MGW is selling a knob with BOSS in white on the side.

I believe they get their knobs from EPCO. Link

http://www.epcoshiftknobs.com/Ford_ShiftKnobs.html

Good luck. :)

My next question...if the insert is spinning inside the shift ball...any thought how to get the shift ball off?

Thanks
r/
Eric

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Eric said:
My next question...if the insert is spinning inside the shift ball...any thought how to get the shift ball off?

Thanks
r/
Eric

I believe there is a portion of the metal which extends downward beyond the knob. Grab hold of that and turn. You will likely scar the metal. Should be able to reinstall while waiting on a replacement knob.

Hope this is helpful.

Have you tried to Super Glue the knob back to the metal insert?

Worst case, you are probably going to find a way to cut the knob in half (Dremel Tool w/Fine Cutting Blade) to gain access to the spinning insert...

07SGT0547 said:

Worst case, you are probably going to find a way to cut the knob in half (Dremel Tool w/Fine Cutting Blade) to gain access to the spinning insert...

He said they are still solidly fixed to each other as a unit. The whole combination is spinning on the shaft. The insert is probably stripped.

RoushF150 said:
07SGT0547 said:

He said they are still solidly fixed to each other as a unit. The whole combination is spinning on the shaft. The insert is probably stripped.

Well then, just take it in to the Dealer and have them replace the knob and/or the shifter lever (depending on what part is stripped out)...

If the knob was over-tightened during assembly and accidentally stripped out, then the dab of Loctite they used would have "masked" the problem from day one...

Not until the OP tried to remove it, did he notice the problem...

But having just done this myself with the MGW unit, I highly doubt the OP would have stripped the metal threads (either on the lever or the insert) by using a strap wrench just to remove the knob... Also keep in mind, that the pitch on the threads is somewhat fine, so it does take a fair number of complete turns before the knob is free from the shifter lever... Good Luck!

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
My Boss knob also came off of the shaft with the metal base still attached. I didn't see any problem with this as I then attached it to the MGW shaft upon reassembly. I could see the blue loc-tite on the inside threads, I didn't strip anything. Took a good 5 minutes with the hair dryer heating it up and then the big boy strap wrench to finally get it loose. The smaller size one just wasn't up to the task.

IMG_2248.jpg

Maui
Seems like this is a common problem. when i used my strap wrench the ball came off with the metal sleeve as well. As long as the shifter ball can be retightened to the metal sleeve, you should be able to screw the old shifter ball with the sleeve to the new shifter shaft as long as the thread size matches just like ace said.

The metal base turns with the knob. It takes a bit of muscle to turn the knob...it "clicks" as you turn it though, which I suspect is the knob turning around the insert. It is still tight with no apparent movement up the shaft as it turns. Looks like a trip to the dealer.

Any other thoughts? Is it worth trying to heat the base of the knob up?

Thanks
r/
Eric

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Heat should not hurt anything.

Unsure the dealer will replace the knob under warranty. I would guess $75.00 for the knob and more for labor.

If you can wait on a replacement knob you may save a few dollars by simply cutting/breaking the knob away from the center insert. This will destroy the knob, which yoy will mostlikely have to replace anyhow, and avoid retail cost of the knob and labor costs. :(

Good luck.

The good news is the hardest part of the shifter change for me was the knob removal. Heat and musle removed mine. HAd a spare just incase. ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors