The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shift Knob Removal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone tried to remove their shift knob?

On my '11 5.0 it screwed right off, but this one seems to be attached with super duper duper glue! I'm afraid I'm going to break it or I'm doing it wrong. Any tips on how to get this thing off? I want to replace it with a Barton cue ball shift knob.

KG

Mine came off by hand with a little pressure. if ford used loc tite you can heat it up with a blow dryer or heat gun and it will loosen up. you can also try a leather strap wrapped around it to get more grip.

Thanks for the info :)

Does it screw off right at the base of the knob, or does it screw off half way down the shaft - looks like the shaft is two piece? Or is that just decoration?

I'll heat it up and give it another shot.

DieselRocket said:
Thanks for the info :)

Does it screw off right at the base of the knob, or does it screw off half way down the shaft - looks like the shaft is two piece? Or is that just decoration?

I'll heat it up and give it another shot.

the shaft and ball are one piece all the way to the rubber boot

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
The ball does come off the shaft. As stated above, Ford used loctite on it. The dealer used a pipe wrench on mine and jacked it all up... but the ball DEFINITELY comes off of the shaft.

What I would do is use a rubber strap wrench (like the kind for an oil filter)... that's what I used to reinstall the new ball once it came in.

I'm just referring to the chrome shaft as being one piece with the shift ball. it will screw off in one piece all the way to the rubber boot. there is a steel shaft that it mounts over.

Well I was successful getting my shift knob off but unfortunately it also ruined the boot retainer which was attached to the ball. Does anyone know where I could find a duplicate of this?

I've searched online but have only been able to find one's with a large base at the end to secure the boot....I would like similar to the one it originally had. I will continue to search but thought someone here may know the answer.

Wish I would have known the ball was attached to the retainer/adapter before we forced it off. Live and learn I guess.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
SUPRMN said:
Well I was successful getting my shift knob off but unfortunately it also ruined the boot retainer which was attached to the ball. Does anyone know where I could find a duplicate of this?

I've searched online but have only been able to find one's with a large base at the end to secure the boot....I would like similar to the one it originally had. I will continue to search but thought someone here may know the answer.

Wish I would have known the ball was attached to the retainer/adapter before we forced it off. Live and learn I guess.

If you are refering to the metal piece attached to the ball. That's part of the ball.

The metal/plastic piece attached to the top of the shifter boot is sold with the shifter boot. I put one on my daughters car a few months back when I installed the MGW shifter for her. Simple install. Turn over the counsel and remove without tools.

Several sources for both online. Ford parts. About $35.00 for the Boot and around $50.00 for the ball.

TMSBOSS said:
The metal/plastic piece attached to the top of the shifter boot is sold with the shifter boot. I put one on my daughters car a few months back when I installed the MGW shifter for her. Simple install. Turn over the counsel and remove without tools.

Several sources for both online. Ford parts. About $35.00 for the Boot and around $50.00 for the ball.
I don't think that's what he's referring to but if you do replace the boot go for the Alcantara version from the GT500 and replace the shift boot while you're at it.

NFSBOSS said:
I don't think that's what he's referring to but if you do replace the boot go for the Alcantara version from the GT500 and replace the shift boot while you're at it.

The part I am looking for is the metal shaft which is connected to the ball. It is the piece which also holds down the boot.

We ended up separating the ball from the spacer.....LOL. However, we did put it back together but need a new spacer for the new ball being put on. If that makes any sense at all.

Thanks for the help.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
SUPRMN said:
The part I am looking for is the metal shaft which is connected to the ball. It is the piece which also holds down the boot.

We ended up separating the ball from the spacer.....LOL. However, we did put it back together but need a new spacer for the new ball being put on. If that makes any sense at all.

Thanks for the help.

If you are putting the factory style ball back on, the metal piece is part of the ball. If you are installing a after market ball, the piece you are describing is the jamb nut and is sold sparately. MGW and others sell the jamb nut.

TMSBOSS said:
If you are putting the factory style ball back on, the metal piece is part of the ball. If you are installing a after market ball, the piece you are describing is the jamb nut and is sold sparately. MGW and others sell the jamb nut.

TMS: Thanks for the info, I am installing an after market ball and need to get something to keep the boot down.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
SUPRMN said:
TMS: Thanks for the info, I am installing an after market ball and need to get something to keep the boot down.

Not a problem.

I actually like the after market knob/jamb nut set up over the stock glue/loctite system. There are several jamb nuts available. Some fit the smaller shaft/boots like the boss and others fit the larger shaft/boots found on standard mustangs.

Glad I could help.
:)

TMSBOSS said:
Not a problem.

I actually like the after market knob/jamb nut set up over the stock glue/loctite system. There are several jamb nuts available. Some fit the smaller shaft/boots like the boss and others fit the larger shaft/boots found on standard mustangs.

Glad I could help.
:)

All the jam nuts I have found are short and stubby. Nothing like the one on the car. That one is more of a tapered and long cylinder type....if that makes any sense? If I can, I may try and post a picture of what I am trying to describe.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
All the jam nuts I have found are short and stubby. Nothing like the one on the car. That one is more of a tapered and long cylinder type....if that makes any sense? If I can, I may try and post a picture of what I am trying to describe.
[/quote]

Suprmn

This photo/link may be of assistance.

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_rally_series_shift_balls.shtml

The jamb nut offered by MGW, shown on this link, may be what you are looking for. I have this on my boss along with the ball shown in the link. Easy to use. If you are like me, it takes 2-3 attempts before I am satisfied the ball is straight.

TMS

TMO Supporting Vendors