The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shift Light install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got around to installing my new Raptor Shift Light today. I don't use power port in the center of the dash, so that was the ideal place to put it. I left it not pushed in as far I would like, so I can easily pull it out and adjust the RPM, if necessary. Below are some photos.

IMG_6829.jpg

IMG_6831.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

IMG_6866.jpg

IMG_6844.jpg

Maui
Nice. I use my aeroforce gauges as a shift light, but this is a nicer light... Much more noticeable...you have it set to shift a redline right? LOL. ;D

808Boss said:
...you have it set to shift a redline right? LOL. ;D

Thanks guys! I like the location because its stealth and I can easily return it to stock anytime. I bounced it off the rev limiter several times the last time I was at the drag strip. I gave it an initial setting 7200 and plan to adjust it as needed to get my best time.

Justin said:
I love that!!! Can you give a write up as to where you tapped into what for power and signal?

Justin, No problem, I do that as soon as I find a little extra time. :)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
SoFlaBoss said:
Justin said:
I love that!!! Can you give a write up as to where you tapped into what for power and signal?

Justin, No problem, I do that as soon as I find a little extra time. :)
well I just ordered the dual mode raptor shift light. Got it on sale at cj pony parts coupled with a 5% off code got it for 110.93 shipped.

now I need your write up lol

Justin, I replied to your PM and included a lot of the info that a how-to would have. Below are few photos, showing where I tapped into the COP and a switched power source. Again, for the ground I just tapped into a ground wire (a black w/blue striped wire) that's located under the black plastic cover that the hood prop rests on when its not in use.

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6894.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg

Cool. I might have to do this. Coming out of turn 6 at Laguna Seca in 3rd the steering wheel angle blocks my view of the tach for several critical seconds as I approach redline. Something like this would help me focus more on driving than trying to see the tach. Just need to wire my radar detector to the fuse block. Maybe even get a blendmount. ::)

Justin

I ordered my shift light from CJ Pony parts. The dual mode light was on clearance so I bought that one and used a 5% coupon code on top of it.....so I get the shift light its the reg shift light. I call them up tell them they sent me the wrong one. Oh ok let me look it up....please hold. They come back on the phone "you know you weren't allowed to use the 5% off on a cleanance item?" told them no it let me through your check out doesn't seem to be a problem on my end. He said yeah we usually catch it but if you want to exchange for the correct one you will have to pay the 6 dollars difference or we will just refund you the money if you dont want to do that.

Now I cant see how they have the nerve to ask me for 6 dollars on a mistake they made twice. First they have shitty web designer for allowing that transaction to go through in the first place. Then they sent the wrong one. So I have the hassle of buying a new bubblewrap pouch then getting off early enough to make it to the post office. Then wait a week for them to get it....then send me, hopefully, the correct one. For all that hassle they should have ate the 6 bucks.

But instead they lost me as a customer. A guy that spends thousands on mustangs a year. And I have spent thousands at there store in the past and this is how I get treated. I will pay a little more for better customer service.

Rant over sorry

Justin said:
I ordered my shift light from CJ Pony parts. The dual mode light was on clearance so I bought that one and used a 5% coupon code on top of it.....so I get the shift light its the reg shift light. I call them up tell them they sent me the wrong one. Oh ok let me look it up....please hold. They come back on the phone "you know you weren't allowed to use the 5% off on a cleanance item?" told them no it let me through your check out doesn't seem to be a problem on my end. He said yeah we usually catch it but if you want to exchange for the correct one you will have to pay the 6 dollars difference or we will just refund you the money if you dont want to do that.

Now I cant see how they have the nerve to ask me for 6 dollars on a mistake they made twice. First they have shitty web designer for allowing that transaction to go through in the first place. Then they sent the wrong one. So I have the hassle of buying a new bubblewrap pouch then getting off early enough to make it to the post office. Then wait a week for them to get it....then send me, hopefully, the correct one. For all that hassle they should have ate the 6 bucks.

But instead they lost me as a customer. A guy that spends thousands on mustangs a year. And I have spent thousands at there store in the past and this is how I get treated. I will pay a little more for better customer service.

Rant over sorry

That kind of rotten customer service really stinks and the best thing you can do is stop buying from them. Do you really need the dual shift light? Do you want it to help with lauching when you're not using Launch Control, assuming you have TracKey? If not, maybe you would be better off keeping the single and having them discount the single and refund you the difference.

Justin

SoFlaBoss said:
Justin said:

Rant over sorry

That kind of rotten customer service really stinks and the best thing you can do is stop buying from them. Do you really need the dual shift light? Do you want it to help with lauching when you're not using Launch Control, assuming you have TracKey? If not, maybe you would be better off keeping the single and having them discount the single and refund you the difference.
I dont need the dual shift light but I want it. I have the trackey but the 5k max on the launch control isnt high enough for me. And I am going to be going with a steeda CAI and tune so the TK wont work anymore. For the price I paid the single stage would cost more.....

Justin

Well after sending the shift light back twice (sent me two single stages) then waiting for back order the correct shift light has come. They ended up not charging me the money for the 5% off thing I used. Due to the two buttons on the outer shell of the dual mode I didnt mount it in the 12V outlet. I put it between the speedo and tach. Its really nice. The launch mode is nice. Wiring was very easy (thanks for the tips SoFloBoss). Cant wait to use it at the track. Feels like I will never get there.

I also used this install from there website to figure out where to tap into the VSS signal.
http://raptorperformance.com/Installations/Ford/Mustang/mustang_2010_50L.htm

Justin said:
Well after sending the shift light back twice (sent me two single stages) then waiting for back order the correct shift light has come. They ended up not charging me the money for the 5% off thing I used. Due to the two buttons on the outer shell of the dual mode I didnt mount it in the 12V outlet. I put it between the speedo and tach. Its really nice. The launch mode is nice. Wiring was very easy (thanks for the tips SoFloBoss). Cant wait to use it at the track. Feels like I will never get there.

I also used this install from there website to figure out where to tap into the VSS signal.
http://raptorperformance.com/Installations/Ford/Mustang/mustang_2010_50L.htm

Glad I could help! That's great that you finally got the correct light and were successful with the install. This thread will now benefit others doing either light (single or dual).

Justin

well this morning on the drive to work there were issues. The speedo while sitting still would flicker to 20mph then back to 0 over and over. if you restart the car it doesnt do it till you blip the gas then it starts over again. I will be emailing the company as to why its doing this.

First make sure that retightened your connection(s) at the battery, as those sound like symptoms of a loose battery terminal. :)

Justin

SoFlaBoss said:
First make sure that retightened your connection(s) at the battery, as those sound like symptoms of a loose battery terminal. :)
I am thinking I need to solder the connections I dont trust the line tap connectors. And I never took those off...opps lol

TMO Supporting Vendors