The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shift light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any ideas on a small, easy to install shift light? I find myself watching the tach way to much due to not being used to a high rev engine, and usually shift early. I dont want anything bulky, and want it to "fit" with the Boss interior, as well as easy installation. I have looked at The Raptors. Just looking for ideas

The Aeroforce gauge that plugs into your OBDII port and mounts in the A/C pod next to the steering wheel can be programmed as a shift light. It also gives you engine parameters displayed two at a time. E.g. a/f ratio, ECT, IAT etc.

cloud9 said:
The Aeroforce gauge that plugs into your OBDII port and mounts in the A/C pod next to the srlteering wheel can be programmed as a shift light. It also gives you engine parameters displayed two at a time. E.g. a/f ratio, ECT, IAT etc.

I like this idea. I'm constantly hitting the rev limiter due to this thing revving so freely.

I may have to add this to my christmas list.

Not trying to tell anyone what to do, but you'd be better off learning to hear and feel the car (with occasional glances at the tach) rather than relying on a light.

I personally wouldn't begin to know where to set a shift light if I had one. I'm constantly shifting at different RPMs being that different variables (driving conditions, circumstances) are suited to shifting at different RPMs. I also don't shift the same going from 4th to 5th as I do going from 1st to 2nd.

Is who kidding?

As far as learning the car for shifting reference, I do that most of the time. I came from a BMW with a twin turbo, so very different character, quiter and more of a punch then leveled out, not almost endless reving In time I am sure I will be able to "ear it" all the time. But for now I would like an easy referance so when I am disposing of competition on the street I can keep all eyes ahead. With the baffles out this thing is screaming at 6000 rpm, so I think I need to shift when in fact I have lots of revs to go. The other day when I was dusting off an AMG CLS55, I almost shifted early into 5th which would have cost me. Luckily I glanced down and kept her revving. By time I hit 150, he was waaaay back.

Tflong24 said:
Is who kidding?

As far as learning the car for shifting reference, I do that most of the time. I came from a BMW with a twin turbo, so very different character, quiter and more of a punch then leveled out, not almost endless reving In time I am sure I will be able to "ear it" all the time. But for now I would like an easy referance so when I am disposing of competition on the street I can keep all eyes ahead. With the baffles out this thing is screaming at 6000 rpm, so I think I need to shift when in fact I have lots of revs to go. The other day when I was dusting off an AMG CLS55, I almost shifted early into 5th which would have cost me. Luckily I glanced down and kept her revving. By time I hit 150, he was waaaay back.
I hope that wasn't in my neighborhood. Speeds that high should be kept on the track.

I prefer the old fashioned way and just bounce off the rev limiter. ;)

5 DOT 0 said:
Tflong24 said:
Is who kidding?

I hope that wasn't in my neighborhood. Speeds that high should be kept on the track.

I prefer the old fashioned way and just bounce off the rev limiter. ;)

I always access the situation when deciding whether to accept a challenge on the street. This time it was just me and the Benz on a highway. Plus he started it and I'm too immature to say no. I Never race with traffic around and I do wish I had a track closer than 180 miles away. I putt around way more than acting crazy on the street. Avoiding all the idiots texting while driving seems to be what I do most!!!!!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
One day late. I'll send you the bill for the balance! ;D ;D

(Of course this has nothing to do with my impatience level...)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I ordered the Rousch vent also. Gauge and vent should be here today, hopefully I can get it in over the weekend. I'll post pics....

That's the setup I want to go with. You can't beat the look of the gauge mounted in the vent. I just don't work well with interior plastics, tend to lose patience. I'll be curious to know how easy the main gauge bezel comes off.

TMO Supporting Vendors