The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shift linkage improvements?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
Maybe it's just getting used to the 6 speed after driving a 4 then 5-speed for so many years, but I find I'm missing 3rd pretty often during "spirited driving" as Ford puts it. Is there a really good aftermarket option?

Quit pushing it over for 3rd. When I got mine I was trying to push it into 3rd you don't have to do that. Just push it up it will find 3rd on it's own.

95blitz said:
Quit pushing it over for 3rd. When I got mine I was trying to push it into 3rd you don't have to do that. Just push it up it will find 3rd on it's own.
Yep. With the stock shifter just push up with a light touch. Now if you're talking shifts at redline and it flat out won't get into gear that's another issue. If you are having that problem check the Clutch Transmission sticky for more into.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
"Someone" should contact George about becoming a sponsor for BMO for all the business we throw his way. Then again if he's already getting the milk for free, dunno why he'd spend a few hundred bucks to be associated with this motley crew... ::)

I have read where a lot of people seem to have problems shifting into 3rd or 4th gear. Like someone said, you need to pull over to the left for first and second, but if you just pop into neutral and then push up, you get third or pull down you get fourth. You need to push to the right to get 5th and 6th. When I downshift from 5th or 6th, pulling up to a light, I just pop it into neutral for a split second and then push up or pull down for third or fourth.

Dave

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i have been a power shifting junkie with mustangs my whole life. never have i had so many issues as with this M-82 trans. i got a tighter shifter and it still didn't go away. the best i can tell, there are 2 reasons for this issue. 1) the pitch between left-center-right gates is way too narrow. 2) the shifter fulcrum isn't attached to the trans. its very sloppy and more so with a fully torqued engine/trans (under WOT). there is no fix for either of these issues, so you have to retrain yourself. as stated above, going from 2-3, just push up without any side loading. the springs will center it to line up with the #3 gate. a better shifter with stronger springs will aid in getting the spring to center faster under power shifting. i have been relearning the process for 2 years and still don't have a consistant 2-3 powershift.

the real fix comes from swapping in an s197 t-56 (or the gt500 variant), which still utilizes an integral shifter and the gates have a more "familiar" pitch.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The MGW does address your point #1. My MGW alleviated all my issues at the track, so I'm one of the lucky ones. Some have used Barton and have had all issues subside. Others have not. It's true that an integrated shifter housing is a better design which is why the 6060 and other trannies have it. However, what has happened to some is not an issue for others, so a prescribed "fix" is really a variable.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i do think its more of a habit issue than anything else. i'd be willing to bet most of the shifting issues happen to previous generation mustang drivers who are used to banging gears with the t-5, t-45 and t-56 boxes.

that said, i may be in the market for a MGW. i have never checked them out before today. they look like a solid piece. Pete, did you have to get under the car to get it in? whats the difficulty level?

i never experienced any isssues with the clutch pedal. i like the pedal feel and find predictable engagement. if i do grind a gear, its from me mistiming it.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
IMO it's the most solid design and build out there, but it only addresses what it can since it's still mounted to the uni-body. For me it addressed all my issues but others haven't seen that result, although I believe that most agree it's a definite improvement. I did mine up on a lift with my buddy who's owns a shop. Took 3 hrs anyway, it was a tight fit at one point. Doing it on you back looks like a very tough job but some of the forum members have done just that, some in a reported under 3 hrs also. Personally neither me or my friend can fit under a car on ramps very well and since the lifts were there.... ;D If you do look at it consider the heat shield also.

I also had issues frequently missing 3rd gear when driving spiritedly. My hypothesis is that the factory engine mounts allow the engine to move excessively, which causes shifting alignment issues. I have changed the mounts and I can consistently find 3rd gear now when driving aggressively.

I purchased the Steeda mounts, but the Prothane and Lethal alternatives look like they would work as well.

Edit:The Prothane mounts are non adjustable, so you cannot lower your engine.

TMO Supporting Vendors