The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shifter ball removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin said:
are you wrapping it around the ball and turning counterclockwise?
574592_406672076032036_1978498455_n.jpg

Nice hand model...

vikings138

Union Boss LS 211
NY
Ok not to be a Dumb a-- , but you guys say the Black shiftball comes off with the alluminum trim piece attached to it? or Does the ball come off seprately? I got mine turning but the alluminum trim piece is turning too. I stopped until I know for sure.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
5 DOT 0 said:
vikings138 said:
Ok not to be a Dumb a-- , but you guys say the Black shiftball comes off with the alluminum trim piece attached to it? or Does the ball come off seprately? I got mine turning but the alluminum trim piece is turning too. I stopped until I know for sure.
Yes the trim piece/aluminum spacer comes off with the shift knob.
+1 it comes off with the ball.

Maui
I used that same strap wrench (from home depot) that Justin used, a blower dryer, and the ball attached to the aluminum shaft came off after about 5 minutes of fiddling... You can reuse the stock shifter ball attached to the aluminum shaft and screw it in the MGW shifter, shouldn't be an issue.

I have done it the following way, when I installed my MGW shifter:
1. I heated the shift ball up with a dryer they use in garages (not a hairdryer), I assume to around 70 - 100 degree celcius
2. I tried to get the ball off with my hands only (the shifter ball cools down quite fast)
3. No success, but I tried it different ways for about 30min. :(
4. I asked the guy in the garage to try it and I heated the shift ball and shifter below as much as I dared, as I did not want to damage the shift ball or anything else
5. It worked, the other guy was able to get the ball off with his bare hands and nothing was scratched or damaged. ;D

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Wow, first post is about shifter ball removal success! Just goes to show you the sense of victory and satisfaction you get after finally getting that SON OF A WITCH off! Heh, welcome to BMO, glad to have you aboard.

How you like that MGW so far?

Any pics of your Boss?

ace72ace said:
Just goes to show you the sense of victory and satisfaction you get after finally getting that SON OF A WITCH off
Indeed!

ace72ace said:
Heh, welcome to BMO, glad to have you aboard.
THx, I read a lot in this forum since 2011, great community and a lot of helpful tips!

ace72ace said:
How you like that MGW so far?
Well I already installed an MGW on my previous GT500 and was more than happy with it. Same with the BOSS, no drawbacks and the money is will spent in my opinion. The shifts are faster and easier than before and the installation absolutly doable with the video installation guide on the MGW homepage. You hear a bit more noise when shifting vs. stock, but that is nothing that bothers me, I want to feel the car. ;)

ace72ace said:
Any pics of your Boss?
There are already so many pics of the Orange Boss with black stripes, and I did not change anything on the outside, so nothing new to show from my side. :p

I didn't have any luck with the strap wrench. I used the urethane jawed plumber channel locks and it loosened up on the first grunt.

My strap wrench has a fabric strap and I could not get traction. Wrapped the ball with 3M electrical tape put a ton of effort with the strap wrench and it started moving. It was tight almost half the way off. No damage to the ball. Now on warm days it goes loose on its own.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel