The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shifter ball removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just wasted two hours trying to remove the stock shifter ball so I can install my new MGW shifter. I bought two different strap wrenches, I heated it and it won't f'n bunge. Any tips? Can anyone recommend an installer in Ft Lauderdale? Today was the 1st day I had off in 3 weeks. I'm so frustrated right now I can't put it into words. I've installed a dozen shifters over the years. But I can't even remove this POS!

Sesshomurai

I've never done it myself, but one thing I noticed that wasn't apparent to me at first was that the stock shift knob is attached to the silver shaft extending down into the boot.
It's one piece. And the silver shaft you see screws over the shifter stick and conceals it. so if you are trying to offset twist by wrenching the shaft one direction and the knob the other, it won't work that way.

That said, I was able to screw the stock knob back on and off easily once its off, so its definitely designed to be.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
are you wrapping it around the ball and turning counterclockwise?
574592_406672076032036_1978498455_n.jpg

I had the same issue, I called MGW and they said the only way they got them off was using some towels and Channel-Locks. Of course you risk maring up the ball (as I did mine) doing this, but it did come off eventually. They are on there SUPER TIGHT...

After the fact someone suggested using a towel and twisting with a screwdriver handle (wrapping the screwdriver handle in the towel to try to loosen it). But not sure how well it works since I already had mine off with Channel Locks.

I too heated it up to the point I thought I was going to melt the plastic on the ball, and it didn't budge...

Good Luck!

It will come off using a strap wrench. make sure the wrench is at 9 o-clock and your pulling towards you. you get more leverage pulling than pushing on the starp wrench. remember.....its all about leverage. you may even have to extend the handle on the wrench some..But it will un-screw, just make sure your un-screwing it counterclock wise.

Sesshomurai

rpm3dinc said:
I had the same issue, I called MGW and they said the only way they got them off was using some towels and Channel-Locks. Of course you risk maring up the ball (as I did mine) doing this, but it did come off eventually. They are on there SUPER TIGHT...

After the fact someone suggested using a towel and twisting with a screwdriver handle (wrapping the screwdriver handle in the towel to try to loosen it). But not sure how well it works since I already had mine off with Channel Locks.

I too heated it up to the point I thought I was going to melt the plastic on the ball, and it didn't budge...

Good Luck!

Really? A towel and screwdriver. lol. ???

Just get a strap wrench like the one in Justin's pic. lol :D

Justin

really it was a tight removal but it wasnt that tight. maybe hit the gym then do the removal? lol. you dont want to mess with a pinion nut if the shift ball is giving you trouble.....

Justin said:
really it was a tight removal but it wasnt that tight. maybe hit the gym then do the removal? lol. you dont want to mess with a pinion nut if the shift ball is giving you trouble.....

Ironically, I have removed a pinion nut.

Justin

seca954 said:
Justin said:

Ironically, I have removed a pinion nut.
must have been a monday when they installed yours as they must have used a whole bottle of loctite lol

Justin

bought mine at sears comes in a pair with a smaller blue one. I have used that red one to hold a crank pulley still while I used a 1/2" ratchet to remove the crank bolt so I know it grips

It wasn't just me trying to remove it, I had 3 other guys try that all pretty strong guys, and none of them could get it off with a strap wrench... We even tried a Leather Strap Wrench and it still wouldn't come off...

Even when we used Channel Locks, after it broke free, you still had to use a strap wrench or the Channel Locks to get it of the shaft... it was really really on there... maybe it was just mine that was that bad, but after talking to MGW directly, they seem to have the same issues on some other cars too... Some are not as bad and some you practically have to destroy the ball to get it off (Their words not mine).

rpm3dinc said:
It wasn't just me trying to remove it, I had 3 other guys try that all pretty strong guys, and none of them could get it off with a strap wrench... We even tried a Leather Strap Wrench and it still wouldn't come off...

Even when we used Channel Locks, after it broke free, you still had to use a strap wrench or the Channel Locks to get it of the shaft... it was really really on there... maybe it was just mine that was that bad, but after talking to MGW directly, they seem to have the same issues on some other cars too... Some are not as bad and some you practically have to destroy the ball to get it off (Their words not mine).

Somehow that consoled me and made me laugh. I'm heading to Sears this week to buy a wrench. I'm heading to Napa to return my 2nd wrench. Hopefully, I'll be power shifting in a few weeks.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I had 4 different guys from Ford service dept.plus myself using the strap wrench like the one Justin pictured and after about 15 minutes of all 4 guys trying,it finally broke loose. What a biznitch. So,yes,it does come loose.....eventually.

jec246

Mine is loose. I could probably take it off by hand. I don't know how it got loose (maybe summer heat?). Just noticed it one day and I'm the only one that drives it. Not complaining though. It'll make my MGW install a little easier. :)

Thanks to the pic Justin posted, I was able to remove the shifter ball!!! It actually came off pretty easy with that tool. The key to the tools success seemed to be that the band was rubber instead of woven fabric. Thanks for the help.

Justin

seca954 said:
Thanks to the pic Justin posted, I was able to remove the shifter ball!!! It actually came off pretty easy with that tool. The key to the tools success seemed to be that the band was rubber instead of woven fabric. Thanks for the help.
No problem glad the pic helped

With all the issues I have read with the shifter ball, I asked Justin if I could borrow his strap wrench. I drove over and it took Justin less than a minute to remove the shifter ball. He offered to install the MGW shifter, but due to time constraints I declined. Thanks Justin!

TMO Supporting Vendors