The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shifter bushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgc76

Life is good
Any of you tried this on the stock shifter?

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4%2E1134

I won't be tracking my car. However, the 2nd to 3rd and 5th to 4th shifts are bothering me to the point that I am considering a new shifter.

Thought maybe this bushing would improve it enough for a street driver.

A lot of people looking for the quick fix for these cars lately. If you want it right get the MGW or at least the barton/bracket. If this thing worked miracles people would be running them.

The MGW is not a guaranteed fix for all shifting problems. Ask me how I know. ;D If you want to firm up your shifting and don't want to spend a lot of money go with the Barton twin post shifter bracket. Most of the improvement from the MGW is the shifter bracket design. I'm sure that bushing will help but the twin post design will keep the stock shifter from twisting relative to the transmission and that's a key design element IMO. Here's a photo of the stock bracket next to a Steeda bracket. The stock bracket is like a black marshmallow surrounded by a coat hanger compared to most of the aftermarket brackets available.

P1020943.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NFSBOSS said:
The MGW is not a guaranteed fix for all shifting problems. Ask me how I know. ;D If you want to firm up your shifting and don't want to spend a lot of money go with the Barton twin post shifter bracket. Most of the improvement from the MGW is the shifter bracket design. I'm sure that bushing will help but the twin post design will keep the stock shifter from twisting relative to the transmission and that's a key design element IMO. Here's a photo of the stock bracket next to a Steeda bracket. The stock bracket is like a black marshmallow surrounded by a coat hanger compared to most of the aftermarket brackets available.
I agree with you for the most part. the center spring in the stock shifter (there are none) are also a cause for missed 2-3 shifts. a shifter wont cure bad syncros of a failing pressure plate. The MGW is one mod I would not part with. My step dad (in his 60's) had trouble shifting it cause has heavy center springs. but that can be adjusted as well. if you arent shifting with anger like in drag racing then just the twin post will probably be enough for the avg mustang driver. The good thing I like about the barton over the mgw is you can get the rear bracket and if its not good enough you can later get the shifter

dgc76

Life is good
Guess I will just do the whole package. Based on the reviews on this site, I will toss a coin and decide between the Barton and MGW.

A while ago, I purchased the ES bushing in black (after seeing an interactive ad in a Zinio issue of Mustang 5.0; wow, that was a quick and easy online purchase!). Subsequently, I read up on MGW and Barton; the 46-minute MGW installation video is quite informative!

I'm waiting for BTA (next month) before signing up for some HPDEs, so I haven't had any track experiences with the stock shifter. I don't have an issue with the stock shifter, other than the throw is a little long; I did switch to Redline MTL. [My previous car was a supercharged Integra with a Skunk2 short shifter.] Anyway, the ES bushing seemed like a reasonable $20 purchase. I just installed it today, but I haven't had a chance to try it out.

I can see transitioning to an MGW at some point, though. I like how they dispose of both the top and bottom halves of the stock shifter! But I'll wait to check out the stock shifter on track first. :-\ :-\

biggest problem i have with the transmission moving around is during heel-toe downshift from 5th-3rd. Shifter usually wants to go into 1st or get stuck between the gates/gears, which forces me to go back into neutral and let things settle down before going back into 3rd. I haven't tracked the car yet, but i would imagine this would be very annoying at the track.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
F.D. Sako said:
biggest problem i have with the transmission moving around is during heel-toe downshift from 5th-3rd. Shifter usually wants to go into 1st or get stuck between the gates/gears, which forces me to go back into neutral and let things settle down before going back into 3rd. I haven't tracked the car yet, but i would imagine this would be very annoying at the track.
weak centering springs will make it hard to find third.

TMO Supporting Vendors