The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shifter feeling crunchy / grindy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I've got about 1000 miles on my Boss now and I was kind of hoping the shifter would start feeling smoother after a while but it's rather 'crunchy'. Especially first and second gear. Even after a long drive when everything is warm I find 1 and 2 feel like that right after coming off the freeway.

Is this normal or should I have it looked at? At times it even feels sort of hard to get it into first gear. I expected it a lot smoother.

I found a 7-page thread here with people complaining about the MT82 notchy shifting. I'd like for it to get better but when I read through that thread it seems that's not gonna happen. At times it really inhibits 'spirited driving' and I'm definitely VERY OFTEN experiencing the rough shifting to 2nd when making a left hand turn which is at times pretty darn annoying.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/341293-new-mustang-notchy-rough-shifting-7.html

Maybe it's time for that MGW shifter and different tranny fluid already... Some people report it helps.

Opinions?

I used to get a fair amount of crunching going into 2nd and 4th but it has diminished a lot. I also added Redline MTL to the tranny and that also helped. I still get a bit of nibbling in 2nd every once in a while but not enough to worry about.

You should really only be going into first when you're stopped. If you're trying to get into first when you're still moving, you likely will have it crunching. The gearing is so high on the Boss that you should only need first to start out from a stop.

I am experiencing the same crunch in the gears. I was hoping that it was just the syncros breaking in and then go away. did the same thing happen for the 2012 cars?

Paul

cloud9 said:
You should really only be going into first when you're stopped. If you're trying to get into first when you're still moving, you likely will have it crunching. The gearing is so high on the Boss that you should only need first to start out from a stop.

Oh yes absolutely. I never use 1st unless I'm at a full stop. It revs way too high to use 1st for anything else. During freeway stop-and-go traffic I use 2nd almost all the time. What I meant was that when coming off the freeway and there's a red light, going into 1st is sometimes really notchy even though everything is fully warmed up.

5 DOT 0 said:
2013boss302 said:
I am experiencing the same crunch in the gears. I was hoping that it was just the syncros breaking in and then go away. did the same thing happen for the 2012 cars?

Paul
Nope. Only a special few. :D

Guess I was one of the "special few" who had the grinding and crunching!! Ford tore down my transmission after 5th and 6th gear syncros were messed up. Now the transmission is GREAT and feels like a whole new animal.

If your still having problems, it won't hurt to take it in and looked at. JMO

5 DOT 0 said:
I honestly don't think the MGW solves tranny problems. IMO most, but not all, tranny problems are the clutch. You should try changing the fluid before anything else. If it's bad you should take it to the dealer and get it documented. I did.

Yeah I think I'm going to. It's not 'horrible' but it does kind of bother me. It's pretty irregular. Some shifts feel like butter but some feel like I'm grinding metal against metal without any lubrication present. I would like for all shifts to feel like the good ones.

I think I'll also try the Redline MTL. They do claim their product reduces notchy shifting and I've seen some folks report this is actually accurate.

You can come by my place and we can flush the clutch fluid, I have the pump and cap and a turkey baster. Takes 1/2 hour or so, really easy, just have a can of fluid in case some comes out burned. Helped a lot with mine. I had grinding going in first gear when it was new and it would lock out, then that mostly went away and 2nd, 3rd, 4th started grinding. After the flush it is still a little notchy but the grinding went away completely, so no worse than most cars of this type, it is no Civic. I recently had some 3rd gear lock outs at high RPM but I think that was just an alignment thing as it went away.

I always get 1st, 2nd hard to get in to after being up in the high gears. It think it is an alignment thing as once I have put it in 1st and 2nd a couple times it goes away, then it resist 3rd and 4th the first time I go up there again.

TheMarco said:
I think I'll also try the Redline MTL. They do claim their product reduces notchy shifting and I've seen some folks report this is actually accurate.

Redline MTL does help, but I think that Synergyn Super Shift ATF works just as well if not a little better . Also, on a cold start up you might try keeping your rpms at a steady 3k during shifts until the trans oil temp comes up.

TheMarco said:
So the big question I have: Does Redline MTL and an MGW shifter eliminate the notchiness? If so I'm gonna go for it.

You will absolutly love the mgw it does make a huge difference like 100% difference.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
TheMarco said:
I can say 100% that the fluid made a great difference in my boss before it was stiff and took some muscle even with the MGW after the fluid it was so so much easier. worth the money in fluid. I would give it a shot before any shifters or driveshaft I want to say its mandatory first mod like as in get home dump that shiznit factory fluid type of mod

boss2511 said:
TheMarco said:
I can say 100% that the fluid made a great difference in my boss before it was stiff and took some muscle even with the MGW after the fluid it was so so much easier. worth the money in fluid. I would give it a shot before any shifters or driveshaft I want to say its mandatory first mod like as in get home dump that shiznit factory fluid type of mod

Sounds like a plan. It does make me wonder though, what were they thinking at Ford to skimp on a $50 fill of fluid...?!

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Interesting article on the subject.
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/11/09/ford-responds-to-nhtsas-investigation-of-the-mustangs-mt82-6-speed-transmission/

Brian

TMO Supporting Vendors