The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Under normal low rpm shifting its pretty smooth shifting into 2nd and 3rd. When I shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd at high rpms it becomes harder to shift gears. What is causing this to happen and how can I correct this?

If you figure it out, let me know. I get lock outs shifting 2-3 above 6500rpm sometimes, and other people have similar issues. There are theories including removing one of the clutch pedal springs and a bunch of others. Many people have installed aftermarket shifters and it seems to help with some of the tranny issues.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Thats exactly what my Boss did, normal driving is excellent, high rpms lockout, Its the shifter mount, I replaced with MGW and never once had trouble since.

Read my post of the springs

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/clutch-assist-spring-good-or-bad-open-thread/

This was my problem and yes I have the mgw.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I had similar issues, mostly with downshifts to third but not limited to this. Switching to the MGW shifter and using Redline MTL fluid in the tranny solved all of the shift lockout problems for me.

Randy said:
I appreciate all of the feedback. This forum is great.

It is good to know that the MGW shifter solved the shifting problem for some of the members here but ...... my two cents:

The MGW was not made nor do it's makers say it will solve the shifting lock-out problems. It was made as an upgrade to the factory shifter and address the weakness in the factory shifter. They hit a home run with that I highly recommend getting one, in fact I would not want to drive my Boss without a MGW shifter. I always get locked out going into 5th gear and sometimes 4th, also 3rd on downshifts. The MGW helped with these but did not entirely fix the problem.

aaaAARGH.

Car was great until today, just started exhibiting funkyness in the 2nd to 3rd shift.

Does anyone know if the regular GT's have been exhibiting this problem?

Sesshomurai

So the lockout problem is related to the shifter and not the clutch?

just happened to me for the 1rst time this weekend, hard launch 2nd to 3rd and got locked out of 3rd at high rpm @6500.
everything else is peachy gear wise. I immediately proceeded to do same launch: no lockouts. I know its not driving error or missing the 3rd gear channel on the shifter because Im at 3000miles, gears are broken in and smooth and I know my car and the way the gears are set up, dont miss gears or other newbie factors (been driving manuals for 25yrs). I wish we would have a definite answer but so far all the very different fixes attempts bravely tried by forum members havent been clearly ending the problem for sure ( new clutches, spring removal, different fluids, different shifter...)
The symptoms dont happen all the time, so its hard to pinpoint a ' perfect' fix because it may seem to work and then it just may do a lockout again at a later date, no one today knows FOR SURE WHY AND HOW TO FIX IT... to be continued

ace72ace said:
Is this under aggressive, high rpm shifts from 2nd to 3rd?

Yes, but also getting weird "notchyness" when going into third just around town now. FWIW, this is without trackkey, have not installed that yet.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Yeah the going theory is its the pressure plate and centrifical force combined with the assist spring and tiny clutch line. The shifter helps by making 3rd much much easier to shift with anger. I have a MGW shifter/DSS driveshaft/Redline MTL fluid and at high rpms in 3rd or 4th the pedal will sometimes only come half way back up then just sit there till the rpms come down. shifting still is normal but you can tell the clutch slips a little.

Try giving just a hint of right pressure when you shift to 3rd after you let it self center. I have eliminated 3rd lock outs this way, by twisting my arm so my palm faces straight to the right I naturally apply a tad of right pressure and it goes right in. But I have not had the clutch stick to the floor issue, just the clutch stuck at half way issue. I haven't figured out an angle for the other sticky gears either, I was focusing on the worst one. I suspect the MGW would help with this type of lock out, though yours may be from a different source.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
IMHO I think your 2/3 shift issue is a matter of technique and the stock shifter. Doubt it is the clutch issue I had. ;). This is something I think a better shifter would correct.

Peter

I'm pretty sure a shifter would help with the 3rd issue I have, or even a better centering spring. I have tested it and I need to push it past the center to get it into 3rd even being very careful to push straight. And I have never had this issue with any other car, I can't recall ever missing a shift in any previous car.

But the other issues I have are not the shifter, like when the tranny grinds coming out of gear with the clutch on the floor.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
MGW is really a big improvement when it comes to the 2-3 shift. The positive centering spring and precise gate alignment make that shift very accurate. 3-4 is also very positive. My 1 minor gripe is the low speed 1-2, you have to be very forceful in maintaining left pressure and pull the lever firmly down into gear. Not really a problem but a change in habit from the stock shifter. On track I have complete confidence which gear I am engaging. 100% better than stock unit.
Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
steveespo said:
MGW is really a big improvement when it comes to the 2-3 shift. The positive centering spring and precise gate alignment make that shift very accurate. 3-4 is also very positive. My 1 minor gripe is the low speed 1-2, you have to be very forceful in maintaining left pressure and pull the lever firmly down into gear. Not really a problem but a change in habit from the stock shifter. On track I have complete confidence which gear I am engaging. 100% better than stock unit.
Steve
+1

TMO Supporting Vendors