The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I did the triax yesterday and haven't missed the 2-3 shift yet in 15-20 WOT 7500rmp tries.. (see my triax review). The open palm works with the aftermarket shifter, but didn't work for me with the stocker.

I've been blocked out of 1 gear is about 50 WOT shifts... 1-2 only...

Anyone notice when you get blocked out, it's almost like something has moved in the tranny. It takes a run or two going through the gears and it feels normal again.

That's exactly what mine feels like. Like skip shift kicked on. But I'm pretty sure it is an alignment thing, at least for me, based on playing around with it.

CaliMR said:
Sig pic looks like you're at the track before you got your plates (based on the windshield sticker). My kind of guy ;D

Or maybe PW Bosses are just so fast, they can't be kept off the track.

I was trying to break her in the proper way. I did an autox as well as drag race the first week I had her. I left a couple of long black marks in the dealers parking lot as well. ;D

loco pantelonez said:
CaliMR said:
Sig pic looks like you're at the track before you got your plates (based on the windshield sticker). My kind of guy ;D

Or maybe PW Bosses are just so fast, they can't be kept off the track.

I was trying to break her in the proper way. I did an autox as well as drag race the first week I had her. I left a couple of long black marks in the dealers parking lot as well. ;D
Good work. I'll be curious to see if you have any significant oil consumption like many of the Bosses seem to exhibit. I broke mine in hard too and used a 1/2 quart before the first oil change and thousand miles, then another quart in the next 1000 miles and have hardly burned a drop since. I now have 10,500 miles.

I have used about a quart every 500 miles but it seems to be settling down a bit at about 3k miles. It barely shows any use, if any, in the 150 miles since my oil change. It would have been noticeable by this point 1000 miles ago.

I bled my clutch again before taking her out today and she shifted like butter (other than one 1st kick out and one 1st lock out) for about 60 miles then started getting cranky again. I think a big part of my issues are clutch related, going to do a full flush again and see if I can get it working right. Still getting gunk in my MC, it was full of floaties after the bleed.

I haven't kept track of my oil consumption, but I will now. I added either 3 or 4 quarts during the 9500 miles I've driven it if memory serves me correctly. I've done 9 autox's but no track days, yet.

I'm beginning to think that the 2nd to 3rd issue may be just one of those issues inherent with the semi remote mount shifter. I have seen some horror stories of torque limiters fixing the problem but damaging the engine casting in the process.

That brings me back to what in my opinion is the real fix for the bosses only real problem, that is, shifting. T56 magnum, shorter rear end gears, clutch, lightweight flywheel (without going to extreme for drivabilities sake), and maybe a CF driveshaft, in which case engine mounts as well. Thoughts?

Ratios in the T56 kit that was posted a while back were horrible for how I use this car ie not the highway. Balancing it with the rear end only goes so far, and affects low gears. Is there anyone who offers custom or track optimized gearing for the T56? It has been around a while. I know my old car there were a couple people making gearboxes with modified ratios and those were not nearly as common as the T56.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
you have two options when it comes to the T-56
Model 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Torque Rating
Tremec T56 6 Speed Magnum Pro-Touring 2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 0.80 0.63 700 ft/lbs.
Tremec T56 6 Speed Street Pro 2.97 2.10 1.46 1.00 0.74 0.50 700 ft/lbs.

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/

In my cobra I had the pro-touring ratios and they were great coupled with 4.30 gears when it was NA. I bought the conversion kit for the cobra from these guys
http://www.ddperformance.com/Ford_2005_Up_Magnum.html?products_id=280cPath=108_95
great company

TMO Supporting Vendors