The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shimmy/Vibration Driving Home After Track Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driving home from the track this afternoon, the car started to shimmy as I entered the interstate. At 70+ the vibration was so bad I had to slow it down to 65 or below to make it tolerable. Car ran great all day at the track... no vibrations or anything like this... last track session it ran perfectly.

Got is home, put it up in the air, checked out the driveshaft (looks fine), took each wheel off, checked the wheels (all weights still intact), checked the rotors, everything looked fine. One front wheel did have quite a few bits of rubber stuck to inside of the rim, so cleaned all that junk off the rims. Tires looked okay, no abnormal looking wear.

Any ideas? Another track day tomorrow. Hoping that one wheel on the front with some excess bits of rubber stuck to the inside was the culprit.

it may be build up on your rotors or even warped. I've experienced something similar on my other car after track events.
Try doing a couple of hard brakes see if that fixes it.

it could also be something else, so i'd keep looking, just in case.
notice anything on suspension bushings and mounts?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Check a larger forum about the dynotech drive shaft....sounds like that is common with them after they get some age on them. I would search for you but they block all the web sites here at work with the word forum in the URL so I cant look it up.

dabossinne said:
Driving home from the track this afternoon, the car started to shimmy as I entered the interstate. At 70+ the vibration was so bad I had to slow it down to 65 or below to make it tolerable. Car ran great all day at the track... no vibrations or anything like this... last track session it ran perfectly.

Got is home, put it up in the air, checked out the driveshaft (looks fine), took each wheel off, checked the wheels (all weights still intact), checked the rotors, everything looked fine. One front wheel did have quite a few bits of rubber stuck to inside of the rim, so cleaned all that junk off the rims. Tires looked okay, no abnormal looking wear.

Any ideas? Another track day tomorrow. Hoping that one wheel on the front with some excess bits of rubber stuck to the inside was the culprit.
Were you driving home on the Hoosiers? It sure sounds like a wheel/tire issue. Easiest way to check would be to swap wheels and take it back out. I've had it happen to me with Hoosiers in the past. Not sure what happens to them....broken belt....flat spot.....spun on the rim and out of balance?

It's a tire. Put the stock rolling stock back on, drives normal. Have to figure out the cause... flat spot or whatever. From the outside they all look ok. Will take 'em to the tire guy this week and sort it out.

dabossinne said:
It's a tire. Put the stock rolling stock back on, drives normal. Have to figure out the cause... flat spot or whatever. From the outside they all look ok. Will take 'em to the tire guy this week and sort it out.
Glad that was all. Hopefully just tire boogers like Drew said.

Have to say, running on the stock Pirellis was fun, nonetheless. Of course they ain't even in the same solar system as the R6s, and they got a bit greasy by the second to last lap of each run session, but they did hang in there better 'n I thought they would.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
so i had a similar thing happen on my F250 just before a tire blew out. The shitty part was that it tore up the sheet metal on the rear of the truck.

Make sure to ger your tires checked carefully as you might have a tire that is about to let loose.

john

TMO Supporting Vendors